The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just change my cvt fluid for 2014 altima at 87k at nissan dealer for $200 and they use NS3 is blue color ..still run smooth no problem yet

·
Registered
286 Posts
Were you expecting a problem? Were you expecting your car to run rough after this service?
I do. I've spoken to the dealer where I bought mine to check the level because all the fluids in my car were low when I bought it and I didn't want my CVT to also be low. They gave me a long convoluted answer that amounted to, we can't check the fluid easily. So now I'm thinking to myself, if these people who are specializing in the damn vehicle line can't even check the level how can I trust them to flush it and properly refill it. I have almost no confidence in them. They could be great at their job but they damn sure don't want to do the simplest thing. I said money was no object even, just tell me a price. They wouldn't give me a price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It depend how you drive and take care your car but for me when i drive usually my rpm at 2k or lower and just keep it there and the speed pick up some time 2.5k or 3k rpm when go up hill or change lane and mostly is hwy miles and the fluid a little black but not to bad i should do it around 60k or 65k ....and most of the time dealer want u to change the fluid at 30k ...i have read alot like poelpe alway say dealer have a scanner tool and this and that but basically they have to check the fluid or they recommend to follow the nissan factory if not they avoid the warranty all ps and try to scare or make money from the customers. ..

·
Registered
49 Posts
The service manual says that under normal driving conditions you supposedly never have to change the fluid (which is ridiculous to me). Under extreme conditions, they say to have it changed at 60k. I asked a local dealer about this and they said that they can do a fluid test to see if the fluid needs changing, or you can go ahead and have it changed at 60k which is what they recommend.

I personally plan on having it changed at 60k. I usually try to stay away from dealers, but from the looks of the service manual, the transmission change is a bit complicated on this car, and this dealer really isn't a rip off given that the CVT fluid isn't cheap, and you have no real choice but to go with Nissan branded fluid.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The service manual says that under normal driving conditions you supposedly never have to change the fluid (which is ridiculous to me). Under extreme conditions, they say to have it changed at 60k. I asked a local dealer about this and they said that they can do a fluid test to see if the fluid needs changing, or you can go ahead and have it changed at 60k which is what they recommend.

I personally plan on having it changed at 60k. I usually try to stay away from dealers, but from the looks of the service manual, the transmission change is a bit complicated on this car, and this dealer really isn't a rip off given that the CVT fluid isn't cheap, and you have no real choice but to go with Nissan branded fluid.
does the fluid test cost money? How long do you our CVT will last before it breaks :'(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does your 2014 have a transmission fluid drain plug? Our 2011 Altima does have a drain plug in the pan. At about 50k I drained the fluid and refilled with EXACTLY the quantity I removed. It took 5.25 quarts. Our 2011 also has a tranny dip stick to check the level.

Did Nissan remove both the tranny dipstick and tranny drain plug on the 2014's?

·
Registered
243 Posts
what's the price to get the CVT check? is it included in the free inspection :O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if they cost money to check or inspection. ..when i buy the car i didn't get any warranty from nissan or after market warranty ...i alway get the package 4 oil change tire rotation and car wash for $119 so they charge me $200 for change the cvt fluid ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does your 2014 have a transmission fluid drain plug? Our 2011 Altima does have a drain plug in the pan. At about 50k I drained the fluid and refilled with EXACTLY the quantity I removed. It took 5.25 quarts. Our 2011 also has a tranny dip stick to check the level.

Did Nissan remove both the tranny dipstick and tranny drain plug on the 2014's?
There is no dipstick on the 2014s. I think many if not most of the auto manufacturers are doing the same thing, which I think is stupid.

Even if you drained your fluid, what about the filter? There doesn't seem to be one in the 2014 from what I see in the manual.

The procedure in the service manual for changing the fluid in the CVT transmission on the 2014 is more complicated than just draining/filling. It calls for multiple draining/filling routines with exact temperature checks. Not to mention that you really need a lift to do the job. This is one thing that I just take and have done by someone who has a lift and can raise the car level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sounds as though there is no method of adding fluid to the tranny. So even if you could drain it, you can't replace it. Nissan may be attempting to make routine some maintenance difficult/impossible.

As far as not changing the tranny filter. There seems to be a lot of discussion on this site about what Nissan and their service departments recommend for tranny maintenance (some say never replace). Since our 2011 Altima has a tranny drain plug and dip stick, I think that the time and expense of draining, what I can from the pan (about 5 quarts), and replacing it with new fluid is well worth my time, effort and cost.

We also have a 2015 Honda CRV with a CVT transmission. Fortunately it still has a drain plug and dip stick.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The procedure in the service manual for changing the fluid in the CVT transmission on the 2014 is more complicated than just draining/filling. It calls for multiple draining/filling routines with exact temperature checks. Not to mention that you really need a lift to do the job. This is one thing that I just take and have done by someone who has a lift and can raise the car level.
I bet most dealers aren't following that procedure. Rather, they're just draining what drains, refilling, and sending you on your way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's interesting that the routine involves "temperature checks" during the procedure, unless this is done while the vehicle is running possibly through the transmission cooling lines?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I do. I've spoken to the dealer where I bought mine to check the level because all the fluids in my car were low when I bought it and I didn't want my CVT to also be low. They gave me a long convoluted answer that amounted to, we can't check the fluid easily. So now I'm thinking to myself, if these people who are specializing in the damn vehicle line can't even check the level how can I trust them to flush it and properly refill it. I have almost no confidence in them. They could be great at their job but they damn sure don't want to do the simplest thing. I said money was no object even, just tell me a price. They wouldn't give me a price.

Yeah they lied to you. They can check it directly with the Nissan scan tool. I hate dealing with the service advisors because they know nothing. I like to talk with the tech directly. That way I know if he's a good tech or not. You can easily become a Nissan Master tech by going to all of their classes, and going to the training workshops. Real Master Techs know what in the hell they are doing, and they're not just parts hangers. They know how to diagnose, and repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 altima sv, bought it with 114,000 miles and drive it for uber in ny, when I hit 160,000 miles I noticed some hesitation and shuddering when it shifts on low speeds, I'm a mechanic as well but changing your transmission fluid after a prolonged time is always a touchy subject. ....my brother in law has a shop and doesn't charge me labor, when I asked him to change the fluid he said he can't because it's a special fluid..... Right away I knew that was Bullshit... and if it's a special fluid you can just order or pick it up.
Not sure if it was because a lot of times after changing your transmission fluid , the transmission can fail and he was just trying to avoid conflict.
Regardless it came to the point either my tranny was going to completely fail or I can change the fluid on my own with my fingers crossed
Didn't buy overpriced Nissan cvt fluid but rather went to Walmart and bought 4 quarts of valvoline fully synthetic cvt fluid ...... long story short changed it on my own and the car feels smoother
Than ever , by the way I drive at least 300 miles a day 5 days a week, Nissan will never help you but only lure you into misery and despair.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts