The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first winter having the Altima and it is doing pretty good. The only down side is all the rattling that everyone talks about when it gets cold but the main one was that it really doesn't like it below 0. It was -3 this morning and the car struggled a lot more than my old car and then it had a whining for the first minute. I just got the oil change and was wondering what have some of you people don't to prep Altimas for the winter? I normally get 5w30 oil and make sure that all fluids are topped off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is my first winter having the Altima and it is doing pretty good. The only down side is all the rattling that everyone talks about when it gets cold but the main one was that it really doesn't like it below 0. It was -3 this morning and the car struggled a lot more than my old car and then it had a whining for the first minute. I just got the oil change and was wondering what have some of you people don't to prep Altimas for the winter? I normally get 5w30 oil and make sure that all fluids are topped off.
Where did you have your oil changed? Some shops still use 10W-30 for everything. You could try a 0W-30. That's what's going in mine once I drain the factory fill.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use 0W30, and also installed an engine block heater. Helps save on gas, too...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, not sure about the contribution of the 0w30 to my fuel efficiency, as I did a number of modifications at once to improve it, including the oil switch, the installation of the engine block heater and the installation of a full grill block. (See info on that last one here.)

All three of these ideas are heavily discussed and lauded within the "hypermiler" community. Here's an example list of winter driving tips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dealership because they gave me a free year. Even though I already put 8kmiles in 4 months. Also i believe your car use 0w30 because it is a Hybrid

·
Registered
105 Posts
dealership because they gave me a free year. Even though I already put 8kmiles in 4 months. Also i believe your car use 0w30 because it is a Hybrid
Ok so they most likely changed you with 5w-30 per the Nissan spec.

You can use 0W-30 for your non-hybrid. I'm going to use it. The first number, in this case 0W, is the cold weight of the oil (technically how it behaves when it is cold). 0W will flow better when cold than a 5W and a 5W will flow better than a 10W etc. The second number, 30, is the spec of the oil at normal operating temps. So all things being as equal as possible, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 all perform the same at operating temp but the 0W-30 is going to give you better protection during cold start-ups.

·
LOL AWD
1,774 Posts
I'll also add that the viscosity numbers are sort of a range. In other words there are borderline 40-weight oils (such as German Castrol 0w-30 being much like a 0w-40 oil) and borderline 20-weight oils. To best determine which is thicker or thinner, your best bet is to look up the specs on the manufacturer's website.

·
LOL AWD
1,774 Posts
I have phases that come and go. HIDs, tuning, intakes, blah blah. Now I'm stuck on oil :D
Not trying to one-up you, just basically typing away ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was just getting ready to open my own cold rattling 2.5 thread when I read this one. I love my 2.5 in every way but this winter, on the first 20 degree F day I noticed what sounds like major lifter or cam chain noise for about 5 minutes after a cold start. Today it was 3 degrees F outside and she had been sitting in the work parking lot for about 6 hours. Man, that was really noisy, much noisier than at 20 degrees F. After 5 minutes of slow running she got as quiet as she runs on a hot summer day... Q-U-I-E-T. Above 20 degrees she is quiet as a mouse (32 degrees F ambient).

My oil and filter was dealer installed about 3,000 miles ago. My oil is down only about 1/16th of an inch. I suppose in warmer weather it would show FULL. I have 26,000 carefree miles on the car.

I'm sure we had some 20 degree F days last winter when she was 6 mos. old or so, but last winter I never noticed the noise I am getting now.

Here's what I'm thinking. The only thing I've had done which COULD relate to this problem is I had a TSB done a couple of months ago (in warmer weather). They reprogrammed the ECU which removed a 1-2 second rattle upon late Fall cold start-up. I reported to you that to my surprise it cured the timing chain rattle. Now I'm wondering if this reprogram is somehow connected to my 5 minute rattle. I'd rather have a 1-2 second rattle than a 5 minute rattle. Something can't be right here but I've heard other say dealers have said this is normal for the 2.5. One guy said he challenged the dealer by asking to start up a new 2.5 on the lot. He said that the new car with less than 15 miles on it also had the rattle upon start-up and for several minutes thereafter on that particularly bitter cold day.

I'm curious, are there many of you out there with '07-'08 2.5's that have not experienced this rattle? Do any of you run full synthetic and still have this problem.

I'm starting to get hot and pissed just writing about this. I have never owned any vehicle that displayed this engine noise in very cold weather, including a '61 Corvair and a pos '74 Pinto. :soapbox: So before I haul her in to the dealer what have been your experiences this winter?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea I wasn't too impressed with ours :( First off I didn't realize this car didn't have traction control?? We wanted the 2.5 w/ all the options, so we got the 2.5 SL w/ the connection package & all the accessories, but the first snow was brutal!! I called the dealer & they said that it didn't have it!! I thought this was standard on all cars these days now! I also realized the chattering of the engine in the cold. It normally park in our garage which is heated, but we were at my brother & had to park outside & when I started it, it had kinda like a knocking noise for about the first 10 minutes of driving!

·
LOL AWD
1,774 Posts
Don't beat yourself over it, while traction control is nice, it's not the end all, be all. You're not missing out on a whole lot.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Fishbone regarding the lack of positraction. No big deal, believe us.

·
Registered
23 Posts
frozen lock

My 07 Altima has rear door locks (driver's side is worse than passenger side) that freeze up when the temp is below about 20 degrees F. It's not from water or snow, it's just the cold. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't beat yourself over it, while traction control is nice, it's not the end all, be all. You're not missing out on a whole lot.
I do agree with fishbone, The Altima actually does pretty good in the snow, specially when we got over a foot of snow not that long ago.

·
LOL AWD
1,774 Posts
I wasn't saying it's better than other cars in snow, just saying traction control is not THAT big of a loss. I got stuck in snow plenty of times in my 3rd gen with traction control. The 4th gens do have a better system (stability control) but essentially it's still all electronics and barely any mechanics. Open-differential FWD can only do so much ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yea, I was just saying that it does pretty good in the snow. I'm not a big fan of traction control. The Altima is def a lot better than my old 98 Monte

1 - 19 of 19 Posts