The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: If you need the pics, Email me at [email protected][/B]

Flip mod trunk
THIS IS A TWO (2) MAN JOB.
Total project cost is exactly $11.77, give or take on State taxes..
Time roughly 2 hours maybe 3.

Tools needed.

(1) Hammer
(1) Bench Top Vice
(1) Wire Cutters
(2) Wire Connectors
(1) Crimping Tool
(1) Socket Wrench
(1) 14MM Socket
(2) Two colors of spray paint (One of the colors has to match your car, I used 3)
(1) Drill
(2) Drill Bits
(1) Screw Driver
(2) Pliers
(1) Roll of Electrical Tape

OPTIONAL TOOLS
(1) Blow Torch
(1) Container of Whiteout or a Sharpie Marker that contrasts the color of the paint.

Here are the parts you need.
(1) pair of an 3” Strap Hinge
(4) packs of Stainless Steel 10 x 1” screws (3 per pack)
(2) packs of Stainless Steel 10 x ¾” screws (4 per pack)
(2) 2 ½” Deadbolts (screws are included)

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are the screws I used for the Lid Arm. They bigger then they recommend and it doesn’t sit flush on the hinge. I don’t care they aren’t flush. I’d rather have the wider shaft of the screw supporting the lid then something pretty and neatly installed that isn’t as strong. I think the actual size of the screw to make them sit flush is 8 x ¾” or 6 x ¾”.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the same oversized screws for the lid just a bit longer. They stuck out a little and the Lid arm wasn’t flush with the lid. You’ll have about 1/8”” to 3/16” gap, the only person that notices, is you.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is one of the Deadbolt’s. If you are wondering why I took individual shots of them all.. It’s because you can read the Sku number and get the exact match, so you can be just like me!!!!!!:p

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The most important part of this entire project….. The hinges.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, you will need to do is grab that spray paint. Any color that contrasts the cars paint.
Spray the section of the hinge so it looks like this.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now take out the top bolt after the paint dries. Use the 10MM socket. Now loosen the bottom bolt just enough to get the hinge in.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the hinge can sit flush on the lid. Making sure that the pivoting joint of the hinge is facing out

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now spray the other color of paint to blend in the background. I used red and blue, later I went back with black paint. Thinking back, I could of used 2 colors instead of 3. It’s your choice.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure you rest the hinge as flush as possible to the lid and place it on the trunk lid arm as if it was screwed in. Now spray paint underneath. Just a quick shot to mark it. I marked it in yellow, this is the direction you are supposed to spray. Let the paint dry.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take off the hinges and bring them to the Bench Top Vice. You can either bend them with a hammer and pliers or be like me and use a blow torch. I recommend a blow torch for those who have access to one. You are going to bend it so it looks like this.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mount the hinge to make sure they are at the proper angle. You will have to make minor adjustments to it to make it sit perfect, use two pairs of pliers. They should look like this.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now there is a wire that you WILL have to cut.. It is the trunk light wire. No big deal. This HAS to be done in order to get the lid off.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is where you need your buddy. Hold the lid at the bottom where is comes to a point and remove the bolts. MAKES SURE YOU DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME. Hold it underneath so incase the lid slips it won’t go through the windshield. I will just crush your had… LOL!!!
The lid is like 20lbs. Well mine is, cause I have all that crap in there.
Hold it here.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pull it off and you will see that the paint you sprayed earlier will be outline for the Lid arm and hinge.
See the blue upside down triangle. A perfect outline.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now you are going to place the hinge back onto the lid where the outline is and drill the holes. (Good idea eh?) =) I think the drill bit was 9/64 (I’ll check on that) I circled in yellow the drill holes and if you want to you can drill a hole through the hinge and lid for additional strength, circled in green.
NOTE: The metal isn’t as thin as you think, the metal in that section is about ¼” thick. So it will take a bit to drill through. Make sure you sink the drill bit as far into the drill as possible. You don’t want to break through the ¼” thick part and pierce the top of the lid…

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mount both hinges and tighten securely with a regular screwdriver. DO NOT USE A SCREW GUN/DRILL or anything similar, you run a chance of stripping out the hole in the lid. If that happens…. YOU ARE FUCKED!! Hand turn the screws, because it has to tap the threads as you go. I stripped out 4 screws tapping them in. I just backed them out and used a new one, it’s not a big deal. You bought extras. ;) You waste about $0.70 in screws. Now you’re ready to put the lid back on. Get your buddy, and put the lid on. Take the original bolt to hold the trunk on and stick it in the bottom hole. Secure the bolt and do this to the other side. Make sure everything is lined up. If it isn’t then make any minor adjustments as needed. I circled green and put a yellow X in where you are going to drill the new hole. But don’t drill yet. Everything should will look like this.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have your buddy hold the lid. Now loosen the bolt on the one side. Loose enough that the bolt isn’t putting and pressure or tension on the hinge. Drill the holes and secure the hinge with the screw driver. Repeat process on other side. In this pic I painted the trunk after I tightened down the screws.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take the bolts out. Spend 10 mins looking at it and showing everyone you can. LOL! The 2 dead bolts you got at Home Depot are now going to come into play. Have your friend hold the lid. Find the prime location of where you want them. In the pic it shows you where I thought the best place was to mount them..
You are going to have to place the Deadbolt exactly on the lid and mark it. You can use anything to mark it, a marker or whiteout will work best. Or you can be like me and drill it on the fly while you buddy hold the Deadbolt with his other hand. You will only be able to use 3 screws. Mark the arm and make sure the drill bit is slightly larger then the Deadbolts slider pin. Have your buddy press back on the lid with moderate force because you want the hole in the Lid Arm to be as tight as possible. The reasoning for this… So the Deadbolt always has tension and it isn’t loose rattling around annoying the hell out of you. Repeat the process for the other side.

·
3,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reconnect the wire with the Wire connectors and then crimp them with the crimping tool. Use the electrical tape re-wrap the wires and connectors.

You will want to have 2 Deadbolts. The reason why? You might ask… If you only have one, then the side that doesn’t have it will lift up and your able to stick your hand in the trunk when it’s closed… It’s a leaking nightmare, if you have a system your doubly screwed. Trust me on this folks. I painted most of the trunk lid so it looks 10 times better. If the rattling becomes a problem you can do a few things to help it. Like Rubber undercoating (Pep boys). Or you can get a rubber circular ring and stick it inside the Lid Arm. Siliconing the hinge will also help.

As always, if you have any improvements please feel free to share with me and everyone else.
I’ll answer any questions you have and I always respond to my E-mails.

Der’s famous quote:
“IF YOU’RE NOT BREAKING STUFF, THEN YOU’RE NOT MODING ENOUGH”

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.