The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Best Possible Way to Efficiently "Flush" the Fluid?

Good evening guys,

I just received my 12 quarts of OEM Nissan NS2 fluid for about $140. I believe my car has been in dire need of a CVT fluid flush for quite some time. The first drain and refill was done at 160k miles using Valvoline NS2 compliant CVT fluid. However at 202k, I just started to notice that my CVT starts to heat up quicker and make a loud whining noise through continuing use. This usually happens when I'm on hills, or I am on the highway for quite some time. And it gets even louder if I am doing a constant 80 mph on the highway. When the CVT heats up and starts to make that whine noise, it sometimes can get a little jerky. I checked all fluid levels, and they check out.

I also noticed that if I run the AC, the CVT starts to make that very same whine sooner and louder. I think that the car is still on it's original coolant, however that should not make a difference since the CVT fluid is cooled directly by the radiator.

At this point, my diagnosis of the situation is that the old original fluid has lost most of it's ability to absorb heat and dissipate it through the radiator, causing the fluid in the CVT to heat up, bubble, and not provide adequate lubrication in the CVT.

Currently, the plan is to flush the CVT in my transmission using the 12 quarts I have. I'm going to try and get as much fluid as possible. The way I'm planning to tackle this is to first drain the old CVT fluid from the pan and then refill, then flush the fluid out from the radiator return line (from radiator to CVT) and fill the CVT up as I go. I plan to do this in 2 quart intervals, so that I don't risk starving my CVT from any fluid.

What do you guys think about this plan? Is it the most effective way? Let me know! I plan to do this tomorrow! Thank you! :grin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I finished flushing my CVT today using the same exact method mentioned above. My observations are:

1. At the end of the "flush", the fluid started to come out as a nice clear color with a slight blue hue.

2. The transmission makes absolutely zero whine. It does not feel jerky after driving a while, and shifts very smoothly.

3. There is much less tranny vibration occuring in the low end of the rpm spectrum (between 1k-2k while cruisng and accelerating).

4. It idles much smoother. I assume it is because the fluid in the torque converter is fresh, well lubricating, and causing less drag on the turbines.

5. After a few hard (6k redline) accelerations, the CVT still did not whine. Before the "flush", it would start whining from just a normal crusie after a few minutes of driving at slow city speeds.

The process was extremely easy, and it is much better than a drain and fill, since it replaces olf fluid and leaves no room for old and new fluid to mix. Highly advise it for those who need to do some fluid maintenance.

Oh and one more thing, I somewhat advise against using Valvoline fluid. It will work, it worked the past 40k miles, but it will also degrade faster than OEM. My tranny started to slightly just after a few drives that very same day. But at the time, I thought it was normall... Also, Valvoline CVT fluid SMELLS HORRIBLE. All in all, OEM NS2 is the best, and it is very cheap on ebay as of now. To be fair to Valvoline fluid though, I did just do a normal drain using it. Then again, it was 7 quarts that I replaced, which is the majority of the fluid.

EDIT: When you do a drain and refill, make sure you have atleast 6-7 quarts on hand. After leaving the cvt to drain for about 15 minutes, I measured 7 quarts out of the tranny. Please keep thatcin mind so that you don't become stuck without fluid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What color was yours when draining at the beginning? What color should it be when it's good?
Draining: It was a dark dark brown.

After it was flushed through the lines: Practically clear with a slight blue hue.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
So I finished flushing my CVT today using the same exact method mentioned above. My observations are:

1. At the end of the "flush", the fluid started to come out as a nice clear color with a slight blue hue.

2. The transmission makes absolutely zero whine. It does not feel jerky after driving a while, and shifts very smoothly.

3. There is much less tranny vibration occuring in the low end of the rpm spectrum (between 1k-2k while cruisng and accelerating).

4. It idles much smoother. I assume it is because the fluid in the torque converter is fresh, well lubricating, and causing less drag on the turbines.

5. After a few hard (6k redline) accelerations, the CVT still did not whine. Before the "flush", it would start whining from just a normal crusie after a few minutes of driving at slow city speeds.

The process was extremely easy, and it is much better than a drain and fill, since it replaces olf fluid and leaves no room for old and new fluid to mix. Highly advise it for those who need to do some fluid maintenance.

Oh and one more thing, I somewhat advise against using Valvoline fluid. It will work, it worked the past 40k miles, but it will also degrade faster than OEM. My tranny started to slightly just after a few drives that very same day. But at the time, I thought it was normall... Also, Valvoline CVT fluid SMELLS HORRIBLE. All in all, OEM NS2 is the best, and it is very cheap on ebay as of now. To be fair to Valvoline fluid though, I did just do a normal drain using it. Then again, it was 7 quarts that I replaced, which is the majority of the fluid.

EDIT: When you do a drain and refill, make sure you have atleast 6-7 quarts on hand. After leaving the cvt to drain for about 15 minutes, I measured 7 quarts out of the tranny. Please keep thatcin mind so that you don't become stuck without fluid.
Good to see that it fixed your problems. Nissan has always said to avoid doing a full flush. However in your case, it looks like a full flush did the trick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to see that it fixed your problems. Nissan has always said to avoid doing a full flush. However in your case, it looks like a full flush did the trick.
I think nissan meant power flushes, as those tend to be very risky.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come to think of it, I believe you're right. I did see a TSB some time ago about it.
I think it would be very bad to leave old fluidy in the tranny. That fluid looses it's lubrication properties over time.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts