The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides being marked MT (manual trans)and AT(auto trans)... what are the PHYSICAL differences of the two sets of bolts? i mistakenly put the ones in from the auto tranny and "found" my MT's afterwards... i doubt theyll fall out, but there has to be a reason for the different markings...

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
well, i can tell you that i have a combo of the 2 as well
everything seems to be coo' wit mine

interested to see if there is a difference though..
anyone?

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude, if youre pullin low 13's and they havent broke yet, i dont think ill have a problem either.... lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
if anything the AT bolts are stronger because flexplates are heavier therefore have more inertia pushing towards the edge of the flywheel (or flexpate). so if there is a difference, AT bolts should be less likely to shear (SHOULD, im not saying this is fact, just using logic).

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that flexplate weighs nothing next to the flywheel... flexplate is just attached to a torque converter... i know i dont have to explain it to you, its just that maybe youre thinking of the mt... autos put less strain on the engine than manuals, so im thinking the mts would be stronger... imo... right?

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
2,594 Posts
they are on there now, i say if it breaks it breaks, what are ya gonna do?

·
Registered
658 Posts
asleepaltima said:
that flexplate weighs nothing next to the flywheel... flexplate is just attached to a torque converter... i know i dont have to explain it to you, its just that maybe youre thinking of the mt... autos put less strain on the engine than manuals, so im thinking the mts would be stronger... imo... right?
usually an AT flywheel is heavier actually because it requires more torque and momentum to turn a TC. TC are just pumps (the flywheel side) and with the weight of the fluid they are way heavier than a clutch and pressure plate setup. along with that, spinning a liquid is harder in general because it isnt rigid. its one of the reasons that AT's idle higher. u could make a flywheel heavier to make idling easier and power transfer smoother but sacrifice performance and vice versa.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup, its only about 4-5 pounds? if that... i dunno, i havent had my arm calibrated in awhile... ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
ok, youre right. i guess im used to people using heavier flexplates. the altima (along with many others) does have an extremely light flexplate. i guess mpg is most important though. either way, an AT should still put more torque on the bolts because the entire coupling between the engine and tranny will still probably "weigh" more (rotating weight cuz u have to consider that fluid is flung to the outside of the TC which adds more torque on the bolts). but like everyone is saying, u probably shouldnt change them because, like anyone else, nissan wants to save money so they probably reuse as many parts as possible.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i understand completely what you are saying, but remember also, the flexplate rests on a hub from the crankshaft, so it takes most of the abuse there. also the dowel pins are handling the load too.

·
Registered
658 Posts
the connection between any 2 pieces holds all of the strain whether its a weld or bolts or whatever. torque cant just disappear. if u put ur hand on the wall and spin ur arm, the wall puts just as much torque on ur hand as u put on the wall whether ur arm starts to hurt from taking stress or not.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but even you have to admit, that if your hand was bigger, it would distribute the load better, no? like dually wheels on a truck or in this case, bolts, dowel pins and a hub. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
but they are connected using bolts. the solution is usually more bolts, not more area. thats why rims have different bolt patterns. the rotor (or whatever u have) doesnt really affect the stress on the bolts. bolt pattern and distance from the center matter. i think ur talking linear stress while im talking about stress created by inertia from a rotating object. thats the problem with anything spinning at high rpms. inertia is usually the key factor when it comes to designing a spinning shaft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts