The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2014 Altima 2.5 sl. I recently had the FOB die for my car. I replaced the battery and nothing...plus now my tire pressure sensors are no longer working either. I've tried disconnecting my battery for 10 to 15 minutes and reconnecting....still nothing. Any ideas as to what the issie could be. Can't really afford and expensive repair job.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are you sure you got the key FOB battery installed correctly ?
Are yo using the correct battery ?
Did you get it wet ?
Is there something your not telling us ?
Inquiring minds need to know .

As for the TPMS sensors , the battery built into the sensor is most likely dead ,after all they are 7 years old . meaning the sensor needs to be replaced and programmed to the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both FOBs have fresh, correct batteries all properly installed and they've never been wet. Both stopped working and all four TPMS sensor died at the same time. My only thought is the car's signal receiver has gone haywire.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Both FOBs have fresh, correct batteries all properly installed and they've never been wet. Both stopped working and all four TPMS sensor died at the same time. My only thought is the car's signal receiver has gone haywire.
If both the FOBs and the TPMS sensors died at the same time, the cause may be a defective BCM.

One of the first things to do is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction. If you have a copy of the FSM for your vehicle, the code readout procedure is described there along with a listing of codes.

The FSM describes a test procedure for the BCM as follows:

The Signal Tech II Tool (J-50190) can be used to perform the following functions. Refer to the Signal Tech II User Guide for additional information.

• Activate and display TPMS transmitter IDs
• Display tire pressure reported by the TPMS transmitter
• Read TPMS DTCs
• Register TPMS transmitter IDs
• Check Intelligent Key relative signal strength
• Confirm vehicle Intelligent Key antenna signal strength

If you plan to replace the BCM, be aware of the following notes taken from the FSM:

CAUTION:
• When replacing BCM, you must perform “After Replace ECU” with CONSULT.
  • Complete the procedure of “After Replace ECU” in order.
  • If you set incorrect “After Replace ECU”, incidents might occur.
  • Configuration is different for each vehicle model. Confirm configuration of each vehicle model.
  • When replacing BCM, perform the system initialization (NATS).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If both the FOBs and the TPMS sensors died at the same time, the cause may be a defective BCM.

One of the first things to do is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction. If you have a copy of the FSM for your vehicle, the code readout procedure is described there along with a listing of codes.

The Signal Tech II Tool (J-50190) can be used to perform the following functions. Refer to the Signal Tech II User Guide for additional information.

• Read TPMS DTCs

If you plan to replace the BCM, be aware of the following notes taken from the FSM:

CAUTION:
  • Configuration is different for each vehicle model. Confirm configuration of each vehicle model.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations as to an affordable scan tool???

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations as to an affordable scan tool???
Something like this might work:

Tools like this are on the expensive side. If you're in the business of auto repair, then these tools are cost effect. For a "shade tree" type of auto repair that a tool such as this will be used once or twice, it might be cheaper over the long run just to take the car to a nissan dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

• Read TPMS DTCs

CAUTION:
Well I finally got a code reader....and nada. No codes what so ever. Checked the BCM fuseand it's fine. I'd pull my hair out if there were any left. 🙄🙄🙄

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are you using a power port to USB adaptor ?

We have numerous TSB's regarding the use of power port to USB adaptors . They are known sources of RF interference which can cause both of those systems (I-key and TPMS) problems as the both rely on an RF signal transmission and reception .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you using a power port to USB adaptor ?

We have numerous TSB's regarding the use of power port to USB adaptors . They are known sources of RF interference which can cause both of those systems (I-key and TPMS) problems as the both rely on an RF signal transmission and reception .
No....I have rarely used the power or usb plug in

·
Registered
31 Posts
The RKE/I-Key and TPMS sensors are read by the same receiver module, which sends the signal to the BCM. It's powered by a B+ fuse in the CPM. You can tell it's blown by the start button not lighting up when you get in the car (the orange glow). It shares power with the diagnostic port. The receiver is above the glove box if you need to check it for whatever reason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts