The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is prewired for foglights. So all i have to do is buy the lamps itself the the stalks. So when i install them, are they only gonna turn on when the the headlight is on as well?

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
You need the lamps and the combination switch. The combi switch is a big unit which has both the headlight and the wiper control stalks attached. It goes on top of the steering column, it replaces your original combi switch. Very simple remove and replace operation.

Correct as for how the fog lights work. They only come on when the full headlights are on. They will not come on with DRL or DRL+marker. The headlight stalk has an extra ring on it to switch the fogs on and off.

If you want to have fogs on separately, you'll have to modify the wiring. Others here have done this, they can chime in on how to do it.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
If you know you will want them to be as DRLs, or at least sometimes have them on without headlights on too, I suggest not even bothering with a new Combination Switch.

Most of the aftermarket kits you can buy come with a wiring harness to allow you to use a separate switch. You will have to find a way through the firewall (not fun) and possibly buy a different switch if you want to mount it near the Traction Control and Trunk Release switches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much of a pain in the ass is to make it work without turning on the headlights? I have no issues with wiring it up not using the OEM wiring but the kit has to be good quality. Anybody have any recommendations?

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
The kit that came with my Spyder LED lights was fine. I have some issues with the lights themselves, but the writing kit is fine.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
How much of a pain in the ass is to make it work without turning on the headlights? I have no issues with wiring it up not using the OEM wiring but the kit has to be good quality. Anybody have any recommendations?
Just like any other HID kit install on any other car (well, most cars).
You will also have to get a separate switch as using oem stalk will be impossible.

PS actually there was a thread about using oem stalk for "independent" fogs at one point, not sure if it actually got the results and how-to for what you want but search, you might find it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey futurefastguy,

i did the install on my 2010 altima that was pre-wired.

i bought this kit
2009 Nissan Altima Sedan w Auto Head Lights Fog Light Lamp Kit Switch | eBay

and found the correct brackets on ebay as well for my 2010. but if they are non-auto you will need a different kit. installation was a breeze, only took about 90 minutes or so and i didn't have a lift to work with or it would have been faster. there is a guide you can find on here that a poster put together that takes you step by step.

and i used this ebay listing to find every part # i needed for the 2010, the 2009 is the exact same except for the bracket and the screws, but i found that i didn't actually need the screw. the plastic piece that is in place on your car now already has the clip and screw on it.

2010 2012 Nissan Altima Fog Light Switch Bracket Kit w Auto Head Lamp New | eBay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts