The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OEM fogs from Irontoad came in today. I hope to install them this weekend. $168.00 shipped is tinda steep, but they look well made and are heavy as hell. Plus they have the new stalk for the factory look. Hope to rplace the bulbs with Silverstars. We will see. Have a new Digi Cam so I should have some pics if anyone cares.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
be careful

I did the same and bought the OEM fog lights but if you want to upgrade the bulbs you should upgrade the harnessing. I read on another post that when someone upgraded bulbd i guess the wiring couldn't hang with it, and melted something. They said to go to SWA and buy the wiring upgrade.

I did that but the only problem is i don't known how to install the dam wiring harness.

one end clips on and the other has 2 wires i'm not a mechanic and i'm not about to splice any wires but i need to go somewhere to get it done. i currently have the OEM bulbs in but i think it looks phat anyway.

here is the site where you can get the wiring harness upgrade

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/southwestautoworks2002-store/wiruphar.html

i don't remember if i got the 9006 or the 9007 but if you search the threads you will find it. just look for wiring harness upgrade

·
Registered
112 Posts
Currykid3, this may be a dumb question, but was that $168 for one, or a pair of OEM foglights? I checked out the website, but it's not very concise. I had water damage to one of mine last summer and the other one's cracked to hell. I would like to replace them and upgrade the bulbs, as suggested by danielvperry.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bliznalt: $168.00 is the price for both foglights shipped with the regular bulbs in them plus the new stalk for the steering column. If you have the foglights already you wont need the stalk...but if you sell that stalk to someone with out foglights they could then splice any foglights into the wires down by the foglight holes (blazers or whatever might fit) and control them from the steering colum.
Here is a link to someone who did something like that. But with the stalk you wouldnt have to wire to the low beams just splice the factory wire to the pos and neg of the fogs and away you go.

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27649

Ive heard that all Altis are factory wired for fogs and mine sure was...I followed Altypauls example and if anything it was easier than even he said it would be.
Pauls instructions:

http://www.paulwendy.com/altima/fogs/

danielvperry: The sylvania silverstars are not higher wattage so no harness problems. They use gas to charge the bulb and a special coating on the glass (looks kind of blue/purple/silver) They look way better than stock very white with a good spread pattern. Coming home with just the fogs on it has more light than my last car had with its head lights.

Some quick low rez pic I took when all was said and done.

Ok This has got to be my longest post ever. Mabye not the longest but my longest no doubt.:D

All info is for entertainment purposes only. Author assumes no resposability for accuarcy of information contained in this post.:angel1:

·
Registered
40 Posts
what bulbs are you using

hey currykid3

I really like the idea for the fog light bulbs i'm going to order them soon but what bulbs are you using you using to match the foglights with the low beams. is there a silver star bulb for the low beams i tried searching but came up short what bulbs did you use?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have these in my headlights. $35.00 +or- shipped to me. They are brighter/whiter and have a better spread pattern than stock
50% brighter is the word:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/products/product.php?prodid=oss&type=H1

but are not as white as the ones which are in my fogs. They are said to only be 30% brighter than stock but much crisper and whiter:

http://www.xenon-hid.com/silverstar-xenon-headlights.htm

The Sylvania Silverstars are supposed to come out in H1 sometime in may...thats the word on the street. I may get them but I am happy with the light I get right now with the combo.

I will try to get a few better pics that show the diffrence if I can its easiest to see if the light is projected on the something like a wall.

The main diffrence I see if the Sylvania ones have a coating on them which you can kinda see in the reflection on the fog lamps:

and the Osram ones do not.
Both are gassed charged, higher quaility upgrade bulbs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean by aftermarket fogs? Any ones with the right size can be made to fit...read the beging of the post I bought my oem fogs "aftermarket" and installed them my self.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do they match

Hey currykid,

I know you said that headlights you have are not a white as the fogs is it visible when you are looking at the car and if so , do you know what low beam bulb would match the foglights better.

if i was trying to match to bulbs to the silver stars would i try to match it by temp since the siver stars are at 4000k?
is silver star the only brand with lights at that temp?

i just want the foglights to match well with the low beam

·
Banned
60 Posts
currykid3 said:
What do you mean by aftermarket fogs? Any ones with the right size can be made to fit...read the beging of the post I bought my oem fogs "aftermarket" and installed them my self.
As in, not the stock 3.5 fogs.....Is there any other brands out there that fit.......Something that comes with Xenon Bulbs etc........

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Osram and Sylvania are one in the same but the bulbs are not the osrams do not ahve the bulb coating so are not as white as the Sylvania ones. I know i have BOTH : I hope to get some pics tonight projected on to the garage door and youll see. Sylvania should come out in may with the coated ones sometime.

Im not sure which would match...Ive heard the piaas are good but expensive...any of the cheaper ones I would stay away from.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the diffrence between the Osrams in my LowBeams and the Sylvanias in my fogs. Its on a kinda beigh(sp)wall but you get the idea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey curry,

i can see the difference now between the colors. Is it just as visible when you are looking at the car?

I clicked on the MOTION R link at the top of the page and thier selling some bulbs at 5000K Super White & 6000K Super Xenon. how well do you think these ones might match up?
They are half the price of PIAAs because the 6000k is $80 a pair and piaas sell for $80 each

I appreciate the help.:dunno:http://www.dreamtrade.com/motionr/index.htm

·
Registered
40 Posts
whats the difference between xenon and halogen.

and do you think i should buy the foglight bulbs and the low beam bulbs from the same company so that their is a better chance they will match

1 - 20 of 28 Posts