The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ex 1st gen owner
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We thought the timing chain was eating up the inside of the engine, so while tearing the front end of the engine down we found very good news, it was just the crank seal on the front right behind the crank pulley. we pulled it (the pulley) off and just watched as oil ran down the front of the engine. So instead of paying 150 to have 250 worth of parts installed it only cost me about 50 plus lunch. I have had a slow oil leak for ever but just lately it got worse. The seal was all brittle and cracked.

Thats all, just thought I could help someone.

·
4,020 Posts
Getting my oil seal replaced today... my parents flipped out when I got oil on their brand new cement driveway. The repair is running $124.44 for two hours labor and the new seal (pathetic $6.30 part).

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Yep , I see that front crank seal leak on the Altima/Sentras more than any other oil leak !!!

·
U13 Drifter
1,136 Posts
damn you guys are getting taken...it cost me a total of 5 bucks or so to repair...and that's with a discount cause a friend bought it with his 240sx.org discount from courtesy lol

·
Ex 1st gen owner
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it cost me a little, but at the same time we did alot more work on the car while it was on the lift

·
4,020 Posts
Sad, sad, sad day for me, as said above, I took my car to get the oil seal fixed. They replaced the seal and all, but good thing I forgot my credit card at the shop, because when I went back the seal had popped out (the pulley stayed on though) and all my oil was POURING OUT OF MY ENGINE! I was so pissed. The guy fixing it is a good friend and has done a lot of work on my car and my friends, so I trust he didn't do it on purpose. But he said something that concerned me. He said he put the seal in, but just to be on the safe side, he put some gasket sealer on it too. Now I have heard all you need to do is put some oil on the seal and pop it in, and you should never put it in dry. Can anyone shed light on this fact or fiction, and possible explain why it would have popped out. Also, do you think it could have done any damage to my car. I probably drove about 5 miles total from the shop before I turned around to get my card. And I'm guessing it starting pouring out as soon as I left. And when I say pouring I mean it was like losing probably a cup or so minute while running. Thanks everyone.

·
Speed Racer
243 Posts
ok well now i am confused.
i have brought my car to 4 different mechanics, and they all said the same thing. the car was leaking out of the timeing chain gaskets. like 20 bucks in parts and 800 in labor. mainily because they have to rip the motor apart. my car leaks alot of oil, (like 1 qt a week) but could this be the pully gasket instead??

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
best way to not get taken is, even if u dunno jack bout cars, u urself get down there, get some engine cleaner/degreaser clean the leaking oil, thne drive around a lil, come back and check where the fresh leak is at, at least u'll be able to tell if its anywhere near where the mechanic/shop told u, i figured out my leak was the silicone seal and not what they originally said, but now it stopped all of a sudden, i just left it alone, and it no longer leaks, not even a lil !:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts