The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
14,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys/gals,

Alright, i'm planning to move away from NY soon. Dunno the exact timeframe, but somepoint between now and summer of 2005. I've always lived with the 'rents (even during college... though i was only here to eat/sleep, lol), so i dunno all the bills and crap i would have to worry about. I have a pretty good idea, but i wanted to ask you all since we're such a diverse group :D This is what i have so far:

Rent, car insurance, gas, food, credit card, electric, heat/gas, water, cell phone, landline phone (if needed), misc little crap.

Some may say to add clothes, but i really don't buy clothes often. Maybe once a year if i have to :dunno: What else may i need to think about?

·
4,020 Posts
If you rent you shouldn't have to worry about water and most places tend to include heat and hot water with your rent. It is possible and not that unheard of to find places that charge for everything, heat, electricity and hot water (you pay to heat the water, not the water itself).
Otherwise, you've made yourself a nice list...
For me...I budget/spend the following monthly:
Rent
Jeep Payment
Lincoln Payment
Insurance on Jeep
Insurance on Lincoln
Renter's Insurance
Digital Cable
Cable Modem (highspeed)
Vonage VIOP Phone
Family Talk Mobile Phone
Food/Groceries (shop every 1.5 weeks - damn fresh food doesn't last that long)
Gas (every week - 18 gallons)
Clothing
DVDs
CDs
Misc
Lucky for me, the complex I am in includes, heat, hotwater, electricity and central A/C in the rent.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Dont forget medical, unless you have full medical/dental insurance at your job.
New Car? Since I believe you say all the time that your car is running 150K+ miles now? If so, it might be on its last leg sonn enough:(

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
Something to think about because alot of people skimp or don't think about is renters insurance. That way if anything should happen (i.e., fire, theft, flood, whatever) your stuff inside is covered and you are not totally SOL. You can usually get it through the same insurance provider for your car. Don't bet on all your utilities being included in your rent. At my apt. I had to pay for electric and phone. A year later they were charging new tenants for water and trash disposal, I was grandfathered under the old program so didn't have to worry about it. If you rent a house you'll pretty much have pay for all utilities. My avg monthly bill looked like this

Rent: $1350
Parking: $40 (had an additional space)
Electric: $65-$80 depending on the season
Phone: $20
Food: $400-500
Transportation (gas and train): $200
Insurance (car and renter): $82
car payment: $495
Total: $2689 (rough avg.)

·
Banned
2 Posts
Right now, we pay:

Rent $803
Gas $20 up to $200 in the winter
Electric $70 as low as $30 in the winter, up to $150 in the summer (A/C)
Water $45
Phone $25-30
Cell phone $45
Renter's Ins $180/yr for $32K coverage
Car Ins. $75/mo
Cable/RR $120
Food less than $75 a mo/ for 3 people.....gotta be a smart shopper for real!

and then this and that and this and that.....I would say you would pay about $1250-1400 a month if you were here.

Then again, our apartment is luxurious, fireplace/2.5 bath/garage.....tons of extras. You can get a nice little 2 bedroom for $550 in a good neighborhood here

·
Banned
186 Posts
I think youve got everything, but heres my budget it a nutshell:
Rent: $350; Cable/Internet: $45; Electricity/Heat: $50; Car Payment: $239; Car/Renters Insurance: $150; Credit Card: $25; Gas: $50; Cell Phone: $67 = about $1,000/mo (w/o food).

If you have your car paid off, you can save big bucks there. Ive got a roommate, thats why bills are pretty cheap. If you get a roomie, you should be able to live decently for $900-$1,300/mo.

·
14,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! This is exactly what i needed. I didn't even think about cable internet and renter insurance. I dunno if i would opt. for renters insurance, but it would be something i would look into to see how the rates are.

Medical insurance, i won't accept a job unless they offer it, so i'm not worried about that.

Car is paid off, though like you guys mentioned, it does have 142,000+ miles on her, so i'm sure things will begin to go (as of now i need a new passenger side axle and all new struts :( )

Damn sassan, lol. I wish the cost of living was that cheap everywhere!!

I don't really plan on renting a house. Most of the places i'm considering going to are cities and most have apartment buildings that i could rent a studio. I don't really need a one bedroom or larger for now. So i could save on that. I really don't plan on renting for more than 6-12 months. If i like the area, i would consider getting a house somewhere near it. Gotta see how things pan out...

But thanks for the feedback! This def. helps alot. :)

·
Thought Police Officer
564 Posts
Anybody in MA has Renter's insurance? I've looked into it since I have some "young, dumb, full of..." neighbors, and you just never know. My bills:

rent - 375 for my own little hole in the wall
basic cable/inr'net - 53
car insurance - about 800/year, already paid off
gas - 58, still paying off charges from this past winter; t'was brutal, dude
t-mobile - 45
'lectric - 10-20
car payment - 154
credit card - 50
food - who's counting?
fast food - too damn much

Only get the landline if you really need it (I get no signal at home, so I should get one - I'll get around to it sometime).

I just dropped my cuz off at UMASS Amherst. He's a freshman, and was working/living with roommates for a few months during the summer, right here in town. This is his first time being truly isolated, and he's gonna have a fine time. Welcome to the state of independence.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Chris said:
Awesome! This is exactly what i needed. I didn't even think about cable internet and renter insurance. I dunno if i would opt. for renters insurance, but it would be something i would look into to see how the rates are.

Medical insurance, i won't accept a job unless they offer it, so i'm not worried about that.

Car is paid off, though like you guys mentioned, it does have 142,000+ miles on her, so i'm sure things will begin to go (as of now i need a new passenger side axle and all new struts :( )

Damn sassan, lol. I wish the cost of living was that cheap everywhere!!

I don't really plan on renting a house. Most of the places i'm considering going to are cities and most have apartment buildings that i could rent a studio. I don't really need a one bedroom or larger for now. So i could save on that. I really don't plan on renting for more than 6-12 months. If i like the area, i would consider getting a house somewhere near it. Gotta see how things pan out...

But thanks for the feedback! This def. helps alot. :)

You my friend are the guinea pig ;)
you are like a cub striking out on its own for the first time...I will see how it goes and will follow suit if the mission is a success...keep us updated !

·
DON'T!!! I'm watching you
2,795 Posts
I'm gonna use the "list" option (one of the new forum features)

* Note : Some of them are averages. All of them are monthly figures.

1. Rent = $ 625 (used to be $ 975 when married, but I live by myslef in a 1 bedroom apartment now)
  2. Child support = $ 800 (for 2 kids)
  3. Credit cards = $ 350 - $ 400 (paying a little bit more than the minimum for 6 of them).
  4. Food = $ 600 (see explanation below)
  5. Gas = $ 30 (summer time) $ 60 (winter time)
  6. Electricity = $ 60 (summer time) $ 30 (winter time)
  7. Cable TV + internet = $ 70
  8. Car insurance = $ 140 (supposed to go down in the next 2 - 3 months)
  9. Car payments = $ 280
  10. Cellphone = $ 47 - $ 25 paid by the company = $ 22
  11. Home phone = $ 47
  12. Gasoline = $ 150
  13. Medical / dental = $ 100
  14. Water = all you can drink :D (free)
  15. Other = whatever is left :D
edit : Before someone raises the BS flag, I should probably make clear that the $ 600 on food is not what I spend every month in the supermarket. I normally spend an average of $ 200 every 2 weeks which is = $ 400 / month, but I was including dining out on weekends and stuff, that's where the other $ 200 come from.

·
4,020 Posts
I would definately get renter's insurance Chris. If you get robbed, if there's a fire, hell if the roof starts leaking over your home theatre, and you're not insured, no one but yourself will be paying to replace the stuff.
Also, Sassan...$75...a month...damn...thats some thrifty shopping. We spend about $150 - $200 every 1.5 weeks. But then again, we don't use coupons, buy what we want (not necessarily what is on sale), and buy way to much luxury items (scallops, lobster, filet mignon, etc.).

·
Banned
2 Posts
renter's ins........$175, get $32k of coverage....get robbed, fire, flooded, water, and your shit is covered. If a fire starts in your home, and you are not even to blame, but it started your home, at least in OH, you are liable for all damage and can be sued. Get renter's and your ass is covered.

$75 a month is between the 3 of us. We don't use coupons, we eat steaks and shrimp, and believe me when I say I eat hardy. The first month we moved in, our food bill was probably $200-250, but thats because we bought a lot at Sam's. Ever since then, which was over a year ago, we still have enough oil, rice, etc. etc. of non-perishables that would add up quickly if you went to the store and bought it. We don't buy any desserts, i.e. ice cream, because we don't need it, but if someone has an urge, then we buy. Also, I could give a shit about name brands. If it is safe and tastes good, then eat it.

·
14,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, i mean it seems logical enough to get insurance... which i probably will. I just gotta check rates and make sure it's not overlly expensive (but according to you guys, it seems extremly reasonable).

Sassan, i hear ya on the name brands deal. I am the same way, i really could care less as long as it taste good :cool:

·
<----Just say NO to Drugs
1,621 Posts
1BR apt ~$500-$610 monthly (includes everything but phone, electric, cable/modem, insurance) 2BR=~$630-850, which means 315-425 (halfs)
Cable+modem 65-130 (basic and modem-everything and modem)
Electric ~75 month rolling average
Phone (based on your usage, cell recommened it may be cheaper)
Car insurance ~1300 - 1600 per year (dependant on credit, coverages, age, and DMV record)
Gas 1.75 avg per gallon (87oct)
Figure about ~$850 a month for everything except food pot and alcohol.

This is consistent with much of Western Pasco county FL (New port richey, port richey, holiday, elfers, trinity...north of tampa>50 minutes, and clearwater>35-40 minutes), northern Pinellas(tarpon springs, palm harbor clearwater>20minutes), NW hillsboro/SE pasco (Closer to tampa>25 minutes, very new area, known as new tampa/wesley chapel)

Chris, if you need anymore info, feel free to email/pm me. ill help you anything i can if this is the areas you may be interested in. Partying needs? Ybor city(10 more minutes south of tampa city) and clearwater beach/clearwater area. Pasco has no night life at all except for titty bars

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
Monthly Figures
Gas:$120
Cellphone:$60
Insurance:$407 :( just went up
Car Payment:$266
Cable/Moden:$120
Credit Card bills (4)well into the $2800 range combined :(
School Loan:$209

Split Bills b/w myself and my brother:
Rent: $650 out of $2750, (my older brother pays the rest)
Food:$100 roughly
Electricity:$63
Water:$44
Gas incl.
Parking Space $459 my brother pays that by himself, for himself, after all he makes 4 times what I make in a year....
Chris these are Manhattan prices so you can subtract at least 65% off of all my figures :lol:

·
Banned
186 Posts
Definately go with the renters insurance. Its almost silly not to. My insurance company (American Family) gives me a discount on my car insurance if I have both policies through them. What I save on the car insurance pays for the renters. Basically, the renter's insurance is free. You should see if you can get the same deal.

1,407 Posts
If you move to AZ Chris just look at buying a house. The rent is as much if not more than most mortgauges. Than add to your list home owner insrance. Still cheaper than renting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts