The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's directions on how to fix your tach.
This is a simple diagram of how your gauges are made.

1. This is what the center pin is attached to inside, it's a piece of magnet that reacts accordingly to the electro magnetic field of the coils (the yellow part), thus moving it to give you the readings of you rpm.
2.This is where the center pin rests and keeps the magnet 'floating' freely within the mechanism.
The yellow part is the electro-magnetic coil.

When you yank the needle, the center pin gets pulled from the magnet and...

..in worst cases, the center pin gets pulled out completely.

Now, what happens when you insert the pin back is...

...the pin gets pushed, but you cannot achieve the space the magnet had between the coil.

First you have to desolder and get the mechanism off the circuit board and out of the housing. Then, to make the magnet floating free inside, you'll need to drill a small hole (#60 drill bit) from the back like this.

Then insert a steel pin (I used a small nail and cut it to the right length) so the magnet won't rub against anything inside.

Now all you need to do is to solder the mechanism back on to the circuitboard and you're done!

·
stick shifter.
146 Posts
great instructions. Luckily I didn't break anything on my cluster when I removed my needles.

·
DRGN4DR
2,128 Posts
i have pulled several needles...mine still work...the hard part is setting it all...ive even done 2nd gens...with the spring loaded speedometer...and yes it still works...its just a matter of knowing how to do it....and doing it carefully...

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone want instructions for the "home-brew indiglo needles"? I can do a similar instruction thread with pics (real pics, not like these stupid illustrations).:)

·
Resident Toker
173 Posts
ya please give some info on the indiglo needles. did you buy the reverse indiglos? or are those homebrew too. thanks it looks good by the way

·
Resident Toker
173 Posts
so you gonna tell how you did the needles? give us some good pics i'd like to do that one weekend thanks alot.

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
osama said:
do you have a dimmer on your needles?
No I don't. It's easily achievable with a potentiometer though, but I didn't feel the need for it. It's wired to come on when the driving lights or the head lights are on.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
3,816 Posts
poisonfist said:

Now all you need to do is to solder the mechanism back on to the circuitboard and you're done!
YOU ROCK POISONFIST!!!

After all of that your needle is still orange..... LOL!!!

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: For those who broke their tach when pulling needle

DeRaNgEd said:

YOU ROCK POISONFIST!!!

After all of that your needle is still orange..... LOL!!!
lmao!!!! yeah, I did forget to change the needle color of the end result hahahaha!

·
Banned
563 Posts
poisonfist

hey where can i do that to my gauges? i like that blue and red ? can you give me the link to the reverse glow gauges and how you did the needles ?? i rather sell my indiaglos

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
instructions

So how would someone with a 2g alty go about doing the home-made indiglo needles? Ive never pulled the needles off, but from reading the posts my guages will never work right again without some serious time invested or the correct procedure for pullin em. Help? Anybody? L8R

·
stick shifter.
146 Posts
Write up the instructions for the home-brew needles. I'm very interested in em.

·
stick shifter.
146 Posts
One other thing, do the led's that fit into 194 sockets shine a lot brighter than a standard 194 bulb?

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They claim to be three times brighter than stock. I'll try to put together the write-up for the needles over this weekend, but I'm kind of busy so it may take longer.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts