The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Like a Villain
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a little confused on which one to get. what should i get if i think my car is running a little laen

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
why do think its running lean? the fuel upgrades like a FPR is virtually usless unless you have all bolt ons already and realistically, the ECU should be pumping up the fuel pressure by itself. if you're still running the nitrous then cool but if you aren't, then its not worth it

·
Registered
63 Posts
IgNiTe said:
i'm a little confused on which one to get. what should i get if i think my car is running a little laen
Well, if you think you're running lean, you should get a gauge to see if you are.

A fuel pump won't help unless you're leaning out on the top end and your fuel pressure is dropping. You'll need a fuel pressure guage for this as well. You could get a super mega deluxe fuel pump that flows more at a higher pressure, but you won't see any difference because the stock FPR will only allow the factory set pressure at the rail.

The FPR does just what it's name says. It regulates the fuel pressure in the rail. 36 psi builds up and any extra that the pump provides is bled back into the tank. All EFI cars have one, but it can't be adjusted. Aftermarket FPRs are, so you can dial in whatever pressure you want.

The FMU is just a secondary regulator that adjusts the fuel pressure in proportion to boost. e.g. a 2:1 FMU will increase fuel pressure 2psi for every 1psi of boost. So in other words, if you don't have a S/C or turbo, you can't use an FMU.

Go get your A/F ratio gauge.

-rw

·
Like a Villain
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i already have the a/f gauge but i havent installed it yet (school & work). my car feels like it's running laen because when i push the pedal my car slowly pics up speed, it feels like something is holding it back, almost like a lagging feeling. it doesnt feel like that when i floor it tho. this is my interpretation of running laen, of course i could be wrong. which should i go with since i'm running n20? walbro fuel pump or bosch FPR?

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
Ignite, what mods are you running? Cuz this is the
exact same problem I was having prior to the addition
of my Bosch FPR.

IgNiTe said:
i already have the a/f gauge but i havent installed it yet (school & work). my car feels like it's running laen because when i push the pedal my car slowly pics up speed, it feels like something is holding it back, almost like a lagging feeling. it doesnt feel like that when i floor it tho. this is my interpretation of running laen, of course i could be wrong. which should i go with since i'm running n20? walbro fuel pump or bosch FPR?

·
Like a Villain
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CAI, custom catback, 70 shot N20

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
when did you start noticing the lag? I started noticing it after we put in the header. Have you already tried other things it could be like your fuel filter, plugs, etc.?

·
Like a Villain
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no clue on timing, and i switched to NGK BKR7E's about 1 month ago. where's the fuel filter located? above the fire wall below the windshield wipers?

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
right next to the master cylinder, the goldish thing u see in the pic.

IgNiTe said:
no clue on timing, and i switched to NGK BKR7E's about 1 month ago. where's the fuel filter located? above the fire wall below the windshield wipers?

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
right next to the master cylinder, the goldish thing u see in the pic. It's the little canister in the clip.

IgNiTe said:

·
350Z
5,899 Posts
ok, I have I/H/E/P/Nitrous, which one should I get? I'm confused here as well. Looking at a lot of old threads and they don't help.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
Well, I'd hate for you to get something that didn't work for you.
But this has been my exact experience. Before the header, I had
I/E/P/wires and did not have any lag through and of the power band. No codes or anything wrong at this time. Then my bf put on the header and we started noticing a little lag/drop in accleration. It felt like if you hit the accelerator it would bog for a second, like hesitate, then "catch" and take off. By an educated guess, my bf
assumed it was due to uneven air/fuel. So we added the Jacob's ICE pack and Bosch FPR. He put them in on the same day. But
after a test drive the lag was still slightly noticeable. The FPR has
no guage on it so he had no idea what it was set at. So we ordered the inline fuel pressure gauge from Summit. He put it on
and the pressure showed at 30psi, which stock is at 34psi. He bumped it up to 34psi and the car was just fine then. He then bumped it to 36, and lastly 38psi, 4lbs over stock. And the car is running just fine. No lag any longer. Just in the mornings when the car first gets started. Happens for maybe about the first 45 seconds. We bought this FPR from racetep and was only like $80 shipped. So would be cheaper than a fuel pump and easier to install. But you would probably need a guage on it or to maybe just open it up wide. And we still have no codes, nothing was changed from the previous setup at all. The only thing that was changed was the fuel filter but it was changed after the whole process just for maintenance purposes. So it ran just fine with the old fuel filter after the FPR was tuned up. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions.

osama said:
ok, I have I/H/E/P/Nitrous, which one should I get? I'm confused here as well. Looking at a lot of old threads and they don't help.

·
350Z
5,899 Posts
I too suffer from that lag. Its definately noticable in 1st gear. 2500-3500 rpms. I will have to order it and try it out. Thanks for the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts