The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

...just letting you know that our short ram intake for Altimas will be ready to ship pretty much next week. We made an intake for the 2002 Maxima and we gained (on the dyno) 10 hp and 5tq above stock.

The intake should be the same... but just to make sure we're going to test an Alty. If any Alty guys live in western MA and might want to help out within the next few days you know, email me at [email protected] .

This is all just to let you guys now :)

matt - www.frankencar.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tell you what... if 15+ members of this board are interested in it... I'll seriously consider it no prob :). So tell everyone about this intake!

remember... 10 DYNO PROVEN horsepower out of the 3.5 :)

at least thats what we got... hehe. dyno charts on www.frankencar.com

email any questions you have, ill answer them all :) [email protected]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats on the intake!
204HP before mod...
Hey that dyno run chart, is it from a 2k2 Maxima or a 02Altima 3.5?
If it's an Altima, it's good news (15.4% loss) and if it's a Maxima it's bad news (20% loss) unless the Maxima is an auto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a whole thread on the maxim.org forums concerning the power loss. The dyno's were done a 2k2 maxima 6-speed with videos on the frankencar website if you want to see :)

- matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
mattC said:
there is a whole thread on the maxim.org forums concerning the power loss. The dyno's were done a 2k2 maxima 6-speed with videos on the frankencar website if you want to see :)

- matt
:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
remember... 10 DYNO PROVEN horsepower out of the 3.5
OK, but I own a 2.5 inline 4. Will this intake work on, and give the same increase in HP for the 4? Please test one out. Remember there are far more 2.5s sold than 3.5s. Bigger market, hint hint. ;-)

OpalBlue

·
Registered
37 Posts
franken intake

i'm the co-founder of the company and the owner of the 2002 maxima 6-spd. i think nissan underrated the hp of the car maxima but the TQ is sky high. 225lbs STOCK 230 with the intake. now, all out parts are high quality with tight machining specs and k/n filters. our powder coater also does a really nice job. there are videos of it and here is a link of what is sounds like. it's sick

me driving up the road past mattC http://o2pc.netfirms.com/outside.wav

and from inside the car http://o2pc.netfirms.com/incar.wav

check out www.frankencar.com and if you want to we can run a group deal too. we just want to make sure this week, in the next day or two that it fits perfectly. we will find out. FREE INTAKE FOR THE PERSON WHO COMES TO ME AND LETS ME FIT IT. it should be simple and it sounds SO GOOD AND PULLS MUCH HARDER.

·
Registered
37 Posts
we are located in western mass and i would expect to see a PROPORTIONAL gain for the 4cyl. not the full ten because it just isn't sucking as much air but like maybe 7-8. we are testing now to see if they fit. i hope they do, or even with moderate modification.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mattC said:

- matt
Oh well I was hoping they said maxima but were testing an Altima. It would be nice to have 204HP at the wheels.
Great site by the way. The clips are cool!

·
Registered
32 Posts
mattC said:

- matt
Just spent an hour searching maxima.org's forum. Indeed there is a big debate about those HP numbers.
They seem insulted whenever someone points out that stock wheel HP for both manual cars are about the same.
It's that Accord and Camry owners who should feel bad, not Nissan brothers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
short ram intake for Altimas
Excuse me, but doesn't the word "RAM" imply that the intake would be placed and designed such that additional air would be scooped in (ie more air pressure) when the car is driving forward? If so, a filter in under the hood doesn't seem as though there would be any ram effect. The pictures of intakes on your website show nothing more complicated than the typical cone filter replacing the stock filter. Yes, this should improve breathing of the engine, but not enhance air-to-the-engine beyond what anybody else's similar intakes would. Now position the intake where it can scoop the frontal air as the car is moving and I'll believe you may have RAM effect.

My 2cents.
OpalBlue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its simply a common name for an intake of this nature. Does it provide a RAM effect? no. Does it enhance power, yes. :)

Our Stage 3 will provide somewhat of a RAM effect. But we're not completely finished prototyping it. We have to finish our Stage 2 for 4th gen. maximas and 2002 altimas before we do Stage 3 (intake + air scoop form bottom of car) and stage 4 (CAI)

- matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
OpalBlue said:
Excuse me, but doesn't the word "RAM" imply that the intake would be placed and designed such that additional air would be scooped in (ie more air pressure) when the car is driving forward? If so, a filter in under the hood doesn't seem as though there would be any ram effect. The pictures of intakes on your website show nothing more complicated than the typical cone filter replacing the stock filter. Yes, this should improve breathing of the engine, but not enhance air-to-the-engine beyond what anybody else's similar intakes would. Now position the intake where it can scoop the frontal air as the car is moving and I'll believe you may have RAM effect.

My 2cents.
OpalBlue
The frankentake is a little different then any other pop intake on the market. They use what they call a "ram" pipe which replaces the oem piping between the MAFS and TB. Most pop intakes{all for the maxima excetpt PR CAI} just replaces the stock air box and the filter connects to the MAFS. The frankentake also offer'she advndage of a much nicer sound IMO and offers a very competitive price. I have a Stillen intake and I am adding the franken "ram" piece, it should give me a few more HP. I may do a dyno this week :D .

·
Registered
81 Posts
by mattC Our Stage 3 will provide somewhat of a RAM effect. But we're not completely finished prototyping it. We have to finish our Stage 2 for 4th gen. maximas and 2002 altimas before we do Stage 3 (intake + air scoop form bottom of car)
- matt
Thanks, Matt. I'll wait.

OpalBlue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well put emax, you should have your intake section in a few days or so.

Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mattC said:
well put emax, you should have your intake section in a few days or so.

Let us know how you like it.
Will do

·
Registered
717 Posts
Question For Frankencar Guys...

Will I be able to buy just the "stack" section of your CAI after
it's fabricated for the '02 Alty. I already have the JWT Pop-Charger and wanted to get rid of the stock (restrictive) tubing
from the TB to the MAF. I assume it will be a 3'' mandrel bent,
aluminum, powder coated tube with clamps included? If so,
how much?

Next question, will you have a half stack, full stack or both
for the '02 Altima application?

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes we will sell you the section that goes between the maf and TB we will have some ready to ship this week. it includes a powdercoated intake section, with clamps and rubber connectors. the price will be 60 shipped. right nmow all we have is silver.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts