The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How dissapointing. The front pass. strut was replaced 2 weeks after buying the car, along with the muffler tip cover. 2 weeks later the car returned because the dealer "forgot" to realign the steering wheel. Now, with 2,200miles on the odometer, the front strut is out again and now the diver's side window is having these weird clunking noises, not to mention the muffler tip fell off, for a second time.

Took it to the dealer again, here in PR, and they stated that the modified strut didn't work and they are hoping to get the second version of the modified strut (sometime in September), so they asked me to wait it out. I'm not sure if they are telling me the truth or if they are playing me out so I can't lemon the car under Puerto Rico regulations. I'm also concerned about any safety liablities with the broken part or any effect on other parts or/and the engine.

In all, with only one month and 2,200 miles, I've been to the shop 4 times. I love the car, but, seriously, this is annyoing, specially coming from a Honda-friendly family. You can imagine the jokes. Although is not a laughing matter at the stoplight.

Now, does anyone knows about a second modified version (i know there is one already), maybe with a part number? I want to verify if the dealer is stating the truth. I'll appreciate any comments. thank you

·
Registered
101 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. I have waited a long time to buy a brand NEW car and am having problems at 4000 miles! Unacceptable! If I could turn back time about 2 months, I'd be in an Acura TSX or an IS300 today instead. I hope there are people at Nissan who keep an eye on these boards. They need to know how their products are being received by the public!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
the window clunk noise is when you shut the door with the window not all the way up right? Or not? Cause I know thats a problem with 02-04 altimas

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a strut replaced (04 3.5) at about 6000 miles. I also have a window clunk noise that happens when I use the express up button. The window sort of smacks into position. Sorry to hear about the strut but plan on replacing it again and again. Several people on this board have replaced theirs 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...it seems that I will have to replace the strut over and over until they get me the modified version. The window problem/noise shows up everytime the driver's window goes up or down. It seems is either a lubrication problem or that something is loose. The car is also having a rattling noise on first gear during aceleration. I'm telling you guys. I have every problem in the book;

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 05' Altima. My front right strunt was replaced at 5000miles. It malfuntioned and some componits inside the strut were raddling bad.

·
Former Altima Owner
553 Posts
Both my fronts were replaced twice within 13,000 miles before the dealership researched a TSB for this problem...they described it as an 'out of spec suspension mounting bolt', causing undue stress on the struts. They'll continue to replace struts every few thousand miles until they rectify the suspension mounting hardware. If you have a clunking / thud noise coming from your front end at slower speeds over small bumps, you need new struts, and this is likely the reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bad struts

Just brought my 04 3.5 Altima in for its 4th front strut. First 1 lasted till 5400 km; second lasted 1 day; third lasted till 8500 km. Yes, thats 8500 km - approx 5300 miles.

·
shift_VM
331 Posts
yo anything else u can tell me about bad struts? i hear a loud thud but i just assumed it was really bad pot holes. sometimes i think i hear them being compressed, like kinda like air being let out but i don't know shit about suspensions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like a metal to rubber "klunk" as you go over any size bump in the road. It gets progressively worse as days go by until the "klunk" sounds more metal to metal.

·
Since 2004
269 Posts
Mines too

Well i my luck ran out also. Today at only 3,653 miles 2005 Altima 2.5 I heard the dreadful thumping sound, over light bumps on the road this never happened before. Why, guys why? I also could have been driven a different car but the Altima was an entry midsize car. :crying:
I thought i made a good pick. My 1999 Hyundai Elantra never had these problems. Geeze it still runs good even at 97,000 miles. I hate to say it but even Hyundai seems to have better quality in worksmanship than Nissan. Except for the horsepower problem that Hyundai had.
Isn't there anything we can do? To many problems like this should have started a recall long ago, what does it take for a major recall to be announced?

·
Since 2004
269 Posts
Oh I see. How long do u guys stay with this problem before solving it at the dealer? I had to make an appointment 7 days in advance. Now my weekend is shot because i dont want to make it worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why do some people have strut problems over and over again whereas others have no strut problems???? Is this a factory mistake caused with the original assembly of the car? Is the problem just specific to the car or is it a strut problem?? I only have 2000 miles on my car and am free of strut problems for now. Im just wondering if those who start having strut problems should expect to shell out $$$ for the same repair every single year. Sounds like it might be a good idea to sell it once its paid off.

·
Since 2004
269 Posts
Hey calione, i use to think the same thing when i use to read about the problems. I do wonder if its only some or all altimas. Well since u have around 2000 hopefully your lucky not to have the problem. But since the car is under warranty there is no $$$ to exchange. Now if the it keeps going after warranty I'll just trade it before it happens again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts