The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Are those camber bots in the top?? If you get them out in one reusable piece be sure to use anti-seize when reinstalling all of those bolts. I had a VERY hard time getting my camber bolts out after the nuts were off.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Altimat said:
Are those camber bots in the top?? If you get them out in one reusable piece be sure to use anti-seize when reinstalling all of those bolts. I had a VERY hard time getting my camber bolts out after the nuts were off.

I unbolted my strut first from top of the tower which released all the spring tension, so when I unbolted the camber nuts the bolt slid right out with no problem.

Hey Spankin whats that top bolt by itself you got an arrow too...
I don't remember seeing that on my car..

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Invest in a heavy duty torque wrench, these serve two purposes which you do need / should use on suspension or engine work.

I bought an Ampro torque wrench from Discount Auto and every time I do anything with exhaust (headers, catbacks) or suspension (sway bar, springs, struts) I always need this tool and it made my life so much easier; |Duff will testify to this.

I was able to get my crankshaft bolt off even with this wrench. I'm sure you could go to Sears and get a higher quality but I like mine.

·
Got VQ Power?? On Juice??
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
altimateone said:
I unbolted my strut first from top of the tower which released all the spring tension, so when I unbolted the camber nuts the bolt slid right out with no problem.

Hey Spankin whats that top bolt by itself you got an arrow too...
I don't remember seeing that on my car..
thats the front sway bar which is bolted to the dang strut.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Troops, the best way to get the bolts out is use a METRIC box end wrench to break the bolts loose, not the nuts. Then use a socket. Second, with the chassis supported, use a scissors jack to take the load off the hub under the lower joint. Not much, just enough to take the load off and the bolts will push out with only a little effort, usually with a screwdriver. Use the same technique to align the holes when you put it back together. And yes you need a torque wrench to get 85 Lb-Ft both on and off. Don't be afraid to use penetrating oil on the nuts/bolt heads to assist disassembly and light oil or grease to re-install. Remember torque is set by lightly lubed threads, not dry.
And yes, letting the spring unwind while installed is a deathwish. If you got away with it be sure to contribute to the church offering plate this Sunday. cheers.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Velicos said:
You released the spring that was under tension without even using a spring compressor?

Dang, you must have some deathwish.
I unbolted it while the car was still sitting on the ground,
when you jack up the car until the tires are off the ground, the suspension just hangs. Believe me its not going anywhere.....you still have to finagle the hell out of it to get the damn thing out, course when I did it I didn't use a spring compressor...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts