The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Altima 2016 SV ; bought April 2021
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What causes the fuel cap light to suddenly come on when you've been driving for a while around town, stop and get groceries, start the car up after it's been sitting parked for about 30 minutes, and when you start it up. the loose fuel cap light comes on your dash? You check the cap, out and in, get back in the car, start it up, etc., and the light is still on? Full tank of gas, light has never come on in the 6 months you've owned the car. This is the last week of the dealer's 6 month warranty that came with the car, 2014 SR. How do you "reset" the fuel cap so the light goes off on your dash if everything else looks and feel o.k?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
The cap can go bad and only a replacement works then. It has several ways of sealing inside. Sometimes simply pulling it off and retightening can fix it; past that you change cap. There can be a leak elsewhere to make the same code, the system simply assumes it is the cap but might not be.

·
Registered
Nissan Altima 2016 SV ; bought April 2021
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was reading about other problems showing up as a loose fuel cap. I reset it, out & in, but the light stays on. I called the Dealer and they said to drive it for about 5 days because it was programmed to reset itself if no check engine light comes on. It seems if there is something else the computer is detecting that is worse, 5 days is a lot of time to wait for a diagnostic.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If it doesn't reset on its' own and has to wait on the next evap system check 5 days may be optimistic. I've seen evap resets take at least a week before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts