The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
Your car does not have a fuel pressure test port. If you want to test the fuel pressure, you'll have to disconnect the fuel tube quick connector from the fuel line using a quick connector release tool. Now you can tee-in a temporary fuel pressure test gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you
In my current situation, I am limited to the things I can do to try and diagnose my no start problem because the building that I live in, working on your vehicle is not allowed.
My car had died on me while waiting at a red light and it didn't want to start again. The car has no trouble codes and no pending codes. I have spark, and I also hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. I heard that the camshaft sensor could fail with no trouble code, so I replaced that but it still won't start. I was thinking it may just be the fuel pump, but most people say if I can hear the pump priming, then it must be good still,but could the pump still be bad even though i can hear it priming? Also I've read that hitting the bottom of the tank may possibly get it to start, but does hitting the bottom of the tank supposed to help diagnose a priming issue or a clogged filter?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hitting bottom of tank will only possibly work if you can't hear the pump, it gets it going. It can still be bad even hearing it priming but typically the noise changes to not sound like usual. Not always though. Listening to a normal pump can be helpful, it then gets easy to tell when the sound has changed.

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
In my current situation, I am limited to the things I can do to try and diagnose my no start problem because the building that I live in, working on your vehicle is not allowed.
My car had died on me while waiting at a red light and it didn't want to start again. The car has no trouble codes and no pending codes. I have spark, and I also hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. I heard that the camshaft sensor could fail with no trouble code, so I replaced that but it still won't start. I was thinking it may just be the fuel pump, but most people say if I can hear the pump priming, then it must be good still,but could the pump still be bad even though i can hear it priming? Also I've read that hitting the bottom of the tank may possibly get it to start, but does hitting the bottom of the tank supposed to help diagnose a priming issue or a clogged filter?
Even though you can hear the fuel pump running, doesn't mean that it's OK. To verify correct pressure, you'll need to do a fuel pressure test; no getting away from it! People get the wrong impression about running very low on fuel for a long time. The fuel pump relies on fuel to keep it cool; running too long on low fuel will ono getting away from it!verheat the pump causing it to fail.
NOTE: A word of caution. If you plan to perform a fuel pressure test, you need to use a quick connector release tool to disconnect the fuel line otherwise you'll end up damaging the connection point.

A common problem with random engine shutdowns is a marginal camshaft position sensor or a marginal crankshaft position sensor. Most of the time when this happens, the "check engine light" never comes on; subsequently when performing an ECU code readout, there was no fault code set. There's been many members here on the forum that have had problems similar to yours and the fix was replacing those two sensors.

The best and cheapest fix for this situation is to replace both sensors at the same time; the reason for doing this is there is no way to determine which sensor is at fault with this type of condition. You can take your vehicle to a dealer/repair shop and they'll tell you there is nothing wrong after they go through with diagnostic tests because at that time the vehicle was running OK. You could end up spending $200 or much more depending on how much time/parts are used.

When replacing sensors, always use Nissan OEM parts from a Nissan dealer; aftermarket electronic items generally are not reliable, don't last long, and many times are DOA. The sensors are not very expensive; around $75.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.