The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello You All, I have an issue no one seems able to help on.
I replaced the timing chain guide, water pump, rear main seal on my daughter’s 2004 Maxima. I marked the chains to insure I got them back in the right place. The car started up on the first crank and ran well up to 6000 rpm and 80+ mph.

The next day it started running poorly and blasting out greyish smoke. I got a couple of DTC’s, P0171 and P0300. I found that I had damaged the electrical connector on the bank 1 variable valve timing solenoid (stretched the harness too much). I fixed it and the car ran well for a couple days. Then, it started running very poorly. There were no DTC’s. I found that the bank 2 catalytic converter had disintegrated probably due to running too rich, and had plugged up the rear converter. I replaced it and cleaned the rear converter. The car started immediately and ran fine. Once again it ran fine for a day then started blasting out white/grey smoke from bank 2 only and bank 2 only is running rich. Bank 1 fuel trims are fine and no smoke. The bank 2 pre converter O2 sensor is ok. Once again, there are no DTC’s. I also removed the exhaust and the bank 2 converter is ok. My O2 sensors are functioning and I also tested Ohms and tye read ok but I went ahead and replaced the preconverter sensot anyway. I checked my camshaft position sensor ok but went ahead and replaced it. I checked for exhaust and intake leaks and found none but went ahead and redid the exhaust and intake plenum. I checked fuel pressure and it’s ok at 43 psi. I have verified the injectors aren’t leaking. Bank 1 short term trim is +6 to +10 at idle and +7 to - 5 at 2500 rpm. Bank 2 is +12 to +14 at idle and -25 at 2500 rpm.

I’m afraid to run it since running rich probably destroyed the converter the first time.

The timing must have been ok after the work I did. What could cause it to jump?

I’m pretty sure the injectors will turn out ok. What else will cause one bank to run OK and the other to run very rich?

Thanks for your help!
Emerson

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I recently read another post very similar to this...turned out to be a clogged cat. Are you sure yours are (Still) ok? The other poster replaced everything else under the sun first....before cycling back to the cats. He had exact same issue, crazy fuel trim (LT/ST) readings and one bank running permanently rich.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can visually see that bank 2 cat is ok, but can't see on bank 1. I did remove exhaust and held my hand up to both cats and the pressure felt similar. I hues I'll guess the remove the intake plenum and check the back pressure on the cats. Thanks for the reply. If you ever need any advice please message me. You probably know much more than I do but if you ever need advice send me a message, you never know, I might be able to help.

Thanks again,
Emerson Veler

·
6,365 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I went hunting and eventually found the post again...makes for a good read...follow djf240's thought processes as he goes along. Lots of good advice from others.

·
6,365 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts