The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
The Ricenator
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I must admit I was quite shocked last weekend. I got the chance to race Velicos on multiple occasions, and was more than suprised by the results. I just got my full exhaust installed, with downpipe from CE, and he has recently installed a grounding kit and a UDP. The exhaust was magnaflow 14829 and a magnaflow 24 inch resonator. Now, on the the suprising part.

I couldn't win. In fact, sometimes HE pulled on ME.

Why?! Good question. A full exhaust setup with a downpipe should demolish a car that only had a UDP upgraded (we both also have intakes, when we raced those they were very comparable). I must admit I am beyond confused at those results. My exhaust used 2.5 piping to the Y, and the standard 2.25 from the Y to the magnaflows. He has removed the crimped section and the resonator, but is still running stock piping and mufflers. He either ran even or pulled on me in everything- from the line, about a 20 mph drop, and a full 45 MPH drop as well. Upper end, lower end, he ALWAYS kept even with me. The only thing I really noticed different was off the line he always got the jump, when before the exhaust install I would always get the jump. I would usually catch up through second, but could NEVER pull on him past that.

What do these results mean? Well, I have no numbers from a dyno, but it suggests to me that a simple UDP install is underrated and a full exhaust setup and/or downpipe install is overrated. Maybe those little underdrive pulleys do more than people realize....... and maybe a grounding kit really DOES make a difference in overall gains.

On a side note, we also have raced when I had the DP and intake and he only had the intake, and I would always pull by about three quarters of a car. Now we run even, and I have gotten a full exhaust setup since then.....

Just a little fact I thought you guys would like to know.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Better driver? Uhh Duff is a better with shifting but I have more experience at the track and Auto-X but that doesn't really say much.

We both have stock 17" 3.5 wheels with 235/50/17V Kuhmo KH11's.

He has a single 12" sub and I'm running a dual 10" sub setup with 0.5 cu/ft MDF boxes.

Our 3.5's ran equal stock.

....ran equal with intakes.

....he was able to pull slightly with downpipe.

.....after my UDP install and his full exhaust, he described the results pretty accurately above.

·
The Ricenator
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^ Pretty much what he said.

Weight was very close to equal, I may have had like a whopping 30 more pounds than him, if that. Nothing that would have made a difference. I was also running very close to empty, so I didn't have extra gas weight. This is why the results are so suprising... can the UDP really make that much of a difference? Or does the exhaust really NOT give as high of gains as most people are led to believe? I seriously doubt the grounding kit did anything... all that really does is smooth out the idle. So, either the UDP was rediculously good, my exhaust was rediculously bad, or UDPs do more than most people would expect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will be dynoing my 03 max with the motostorm UDP I installed sometime. Probably not for another month or so however.

At this site (below) it has a dyno at the bottom showing a gain of 8.9whp and 10.5wtq. However do note that it is run1 and run5 being compared. Usually run 1 is the lowest. Now if you look at the second link below near the bottom you see all three stock runs of that 02 maxima. You will notice that indeed run1 was the worst run. Assuming run5 was teh best run for the pulley you can compare it to the best of the 3 stock runs and get a better idea of what you actually gain. run2 shows 205.2whp and 218.6wtq. That would cut the gains down to 3.6whp and 9.8wtq. It seems to be a common tactic for performance mod companies to use. That is why you never get the full gains they advertise.

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's Garage/2002MaxSE/2K2UDP.htm

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's Garage/2002MaxSE/DynojetResults.htm

·
Registered
115 Posts
Like stated previously: there are signifigant gains to be made with the pulley. Rotating assembly weight reductions are sometimes overlooked compared to other mods. And as Altimaone said: not all 3.5s are created equal. As for 30 pounds..that actually DOES make a difference. Even the quality of gas can be the cause. As well as a non researched custom exhaust. A whole lot of reasons can be thought of. Who knows....i sure don't.

·
Rock & Roll Outlaw
649 Posts
Great information. I returned my CE downpipe because of quality issues. Looks like either the SS headers or the Technosquare ECU will take its place.

I purchased the Motorstorm UDP for $90.00 shipped off of Maxima.org. The gates belts, oil seal, and installation will be next week. For your information none of the dealers had the oil seal for the '04 in stock. So, if you plan to install the UDP pre-order the seal.

·
My little champion...
4,966 Posts
Switch cars...

With what someone said, if you |Duff and Velicos are close to each other, perhaps you should swap cars and see what the outcome is anyway.

I appreciate these results, because I am on the verge of a modding spree. Also, I do believe that a lightened flywheel would be a HELL OF A MOD... Maybe I'll get the UDP next then! I want to dyno stock again, have the UDP installed and then dyno again, and overlay the two on top of one another just to get an idea.

*YOU TWO SHOULD BOTH DYNO*

Most people over look it, because we don't need a new tranny yet. As soon as my tranny goes I'll be smiling when it goes in - you don't gain HP, you just gain it earlier because the RPMs rise much quicker...

·
The Ricenator
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would love to dyno my car.

Give me 100 dollars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
$100 is pretty expensive for a dyno. Shop around. The dyno I go to is $65 for 3 runs or $55 for 3 runs if you have 4 other people with you for a group deal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
^ Jealous! $100 is the norm for 3 pulls here in central Jersey. The grass is always greener on the other side lol.

·
Registered
343 Posts
its possible that you killed your backpressure enough to loose power. I can bet that if you installed header and cams, you would gain the backpressure back you need and get some amazing power. I found this to be the case in my specV. lost power until i got everything put into place.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Damn u bgates and your informative links....now I'm actually learning when I'm not at college! ;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts