The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If no one has ever put down an epoxy paint in their garage, i must say you should.

I painted about a month ago our garage floor with Rustoleum's Epoxy paint HERE .

We got the gray. Behr also sells a similar product, but can be made in about 40 colors HERE .

anyways. You are supposed to use a mild acid included to clean the floor, then after that is done (next day), you can paint. normal max cure time is 7 days for cars (over 70 degrees or 80 I think). You can walk on it after 12-24 hrs. Ours was able to be walked on after 6 due to the heat here.

The Rustoleum has small chips you throw on the paint to give it that speckled look.

I recently had a small leak ( I beleive either fuel filter or brake fluid) that pooled up on the floor. I was able to take a paper towel and wipe it right off. Also, I accidentally opened the water heater drain as I was building some shelves and water was splashed all over the floor. it just pooled up and started to flow towards the front (due to the grading), so I took my wetvac and sucked it all up. Looked like water beading off a newly waxed car.

So if anyone has a garage or thinking about doing this, i highly recommend it...

here are 2 pics. The first shows from the front. You can make out how dark the gray is. The second is from a top angle to show you the flakes...

·
Always something better
1,700 Posts
Very cool man, Im gonna keep those 2 websites cause Im gonna do that to my Garage and Basement soon.

When you coated the garage floor did you coat the floor all the way up to where the garage doors close or go all the way out, so that when the doors are closed you can see the part of the floor outside

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
5,546 Posts
Seriously....

THANK YOU VICTOR!!!!

I was planning to paint my basement floor and in a couple of years I was going to do my garage. You saved me a lot of time on researching this.

Thanks!

Looks good.:)

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
5,546 Posts
BTW how much per gallon and how much square footage does a gallon cover?

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok.. first, on my garage, the inside is about a few fractions of an inch higher than the driveway. The doors close on the outside of this lip. I painted up to that point. You can't see the color with the door closed. I know what you mean, and there is about a few inches from the door to the "start" ot the driveway. I think the way I did it was the best. Unless I would have done it in the beige, then it would have matched the house color if I did it past the doors.

Also, the prices are fairly even at both shops. Lowes has the rustoleum for about $55 a kit. Each kit does about 250 sft. I bought 2 cuz my garage was about 400 sft. however I did 3/4 of the garage with one kit, and half a bag of flakes from one kit.

the Home Depot sells the Behr brand and its about $50 too. that one doesn't hav the flakes but can be mixed to about 40 colors.

Lowes has plain colored driveway/garage sealer/stains. I forgot the prices.

I love how the puddles don't soak into the floor now. However, if your car is dirty and it rained (or the garage door is opened and water drips down), when the puddle does dry, you will see the ring around where the puddle was. However, you can easily wipe it clean. the gray masks any stains well.

·
Hello my name is Distance
6,028 Posts
my friend has some floor paint in his tranny shop and it sucks. if it get barely wet it get slick as crap

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no mine isn't slick like that. But that's why the flakes are there, to give you an anti-slip in case.

of course I'm not going to have liquids like a tranny shop... :D

·
6,028 Posts
yea, it doesnt look the same, as the stuff in his shop. He hates it. but it was there when he moved into the shop

·
DRGN4DR
4,325 Posts
where i work (nissan dealer) any oil that gets on the floor...has to be scrubbed with a big machine for it to not be slippery any more...mops dont work so well...i hate it

·
6,028 Posts
SPL Hertz said:
where i work (nissan dealer) any oil that gets on the floor...has to be scrubbed with a big machine for it to not be slippery any more...mops dont work so well...i hate it
exactly, he only has a mop. isnt the best floor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts