The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is a repost but I found it fascinating, especially when you consider that it could replace the alternator and only charge at cruise.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
sooo, basically it's a battery powered POS. the whole ideal behind a turbo is not to have a parasitic drag on your engine, this whole electronic thing sounds like a really bad idea. Be prepared to tear through batteries and alternators like nobody's buisness.

·
majin sayia-jin
634 Posts
^^^^^^^^ I know this is of the subject but oh well, hey Cthunder sorry about the (?) I ask, the 1 I pm you.... I had some problems with my pms and i just got then fixed........ :D

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cthunder said:
sooo, basically it's a battery powered POS. the whole ideal behind a turbo is not to have a parasitic drag on your engine, this whole electronic thing sounds like a really bad idea. Be prepared to tear through batteries and alternators like nobody's buisness.
Nooo, it still works like a regular turbo for the most part. The electric motor spins it up a little on the bottom end to eliminate lag and the same motor works as both a wastegate and an alternator by loading the turbo to limit boost and generate electrical power at the top end. You lose the parasitic drag of the alternator altogether. The wastegate is the bad idea.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
I can only imagine what this thing is gonna cost. for the ammount of money that this is extra, why not get a ball bearing turbo and a nitrous kit? I drive around with a t3/4 turbo, there is very minimal ammounts of lag, if I were to go any larger, I would be looking at an unstreetable turbo that woulds most likely need nitrous to spool up. I would seriously wait about 10 years, and if this Idea is still around, then try it, this is gonna be a high cost high maintenance turbo. and especially since electronics dont work too well under heat, I can only imagine what's gonna happen when thier next to a very hot device...

·
Registered
658 Posts
cthunder said:
I can only imagine what this thing is gonna cost. for the ammount of money that this is extra, why not get a ball bearing turbo and a nitrous kit? I drive around with a t3/4 turbo, there is very minimal ammounts of lag, if I were to go any larger, I would be looking at an unstreetable turbo that woulds most likely need nitrous to spool up. I would seriously wait about 10 years, and if this Idea is still around, then try it, this is gonna be a high cost high maintenance turbo. and especially since electronics dont work too well under heat, I can only imagine what's gonna happen when thier next to a very hot device...
you'd rather run nitrous than have a bigger turbo with very little lag??? there is plenty of electronics on a GE turbo jet engine and they run quite a bit hotter than a car engine. O2 sensors function best at 600 degrees in the hottest part of the car. also, how do u know that this device wont already be put on a ball bearing turbo? and the idea that people have of using nitrous to spool up turbos is pretty dumb. u really shouldnt use nitrous in 1st gear anyway and u also shouldnt use it below 3000 rpms, unless youre using a nos controller (by then, most turbos are spooled or beginning to produce decent boost). consistently running nitrous at low rpms will require more maintenance and money than a little electric motor on a turbo.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
^ok, have you ever even looked under a turbo hood? they run hot as hell all the time, so hot that rain can actually evaporate as it hits the hood of the car. we're talking abouit a turbine that spins off the HOT exhaust gasses out of your HOT car, causing friction to move the turbine, and when anything is rubbed up against something, a byproduct of that is HEAT. now look at all the little wires and opened circutry, that shit will get fried in an instant. considering an exhaust on a car can get up to 1700 degrees fahrenheit. and were is your research that proves that you shouldnt use a nos controller under 3k rpm? that is the biggest crock of shit that I have ever heard... tell that to half the guys on this board that actually use nitrous and they'll laugh at you, severely.

·
Registered
658 Posts
cthunder said:
^ok, have you ever even looked under a turbo hood? they run hot as hell all the time, so hot that rain can actually evaporate as it hits the hood of the car. we're talking abouit a turbine that spins off the HOT exhaust gasses out of your HOT car, causing friction to move the turbine, and when anything is rubbed up against something, a byproduct of that is HEAT. now look at all the little wires and opened circutry, that shit will get fried in an instant. considering an exhaust on a car can get up to 1700 degrees fahrenheit. and were is your research that proves that you shouldnt use a nos controller under 3k rpm? that is the biggest crock of shit that I have ever heard... tell that to half the guys on this board that actually use nitrous and they'll laugh at you, severely.
how about i tell more than half of them, i'll tell all of them. U SHOULDNT SPRAY UNDER 3K, unless u have a nos controller that gradually builds the boost. a/f ratio is crucial in making max power and reducing wear on the engine (or else fuel injection wouldve never been invented). u can be cruising at 60mph in 5th gear and floor it and it wont accelerate any faster than it would at half throttle. its the same concept with nos. u shouldnt put a load on the motor when it cant handle it and accelerate. if u want to bend connecting rods and blow head gaskets and blow holes in your exhaust then thats fine. the engine will be making more exhaust than it can get rid of at such a low rpm and the timing is shitty at low rpms. and if your engine starts pinging then your knock sensor will retard timing even more which wont let the fuel combust all the way so it will explode in your exhaust stream. u can talk about EGT all u want, i know what im talking about. this is why EGT goes up under engine load; to save the engine, your computer retards timing so that u dont get detonation. exhaust burns later so the exhaust is hotter. youre right, exhaust does get in excess of 1000 degrees (1700 is a little high and unsafe, i dont know where u got that number from) but normally run cooler than that. but like i said, jet engines run much hotter than cars and have electronics on them. i watch b-1's fly almost every day and when they take off, u can feel the heat 2 miles away. they use turbos too (turbofans) with afterburners. so u know how hot your turbo gets...imagine spraying fuel into the exhaust stream and burning it again with the remaining oxygen. the air is also under more pressure because it must go through a venturi shaped output shaft unlike a cars straight exhaust. my point is, electronics running around heat is a minor problem. thats what heat sinks and heat shields are for; use other materials to attract heat so they dont affect other components. just cuz u have a turbo or u have nos doesnt mean that u know more than me. i know what I'M talking about...so please, go ahead and laugh. **** your own motor up. im one of the few that actually tries to help people on this board (read my previous posts) not just tell people to do searches and make bullshit comments.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
^ ok, maybe my post was a little cynical, but that by no means says that I dont know what I am talking about either. I am not trying to start a flame war, and I can see that my post was in the wrong tone. But, those with built engines (myself), can run huge amounts of nitrous or, boost a lot from a turbo (as I run) safely. I can see where you're coming from with engine wear, but all the people who strap nitrous or a turbo on thier cars are already expecting drastic wear on thier engines. Hell, even if you used a step up program, you'll still get mass amounts of damage to your engine. Like people have said before, the safest shot of nitrous is no shot... But let's get back to the real topic: we are talking about a turbo that has an electric motor on it, 3-4 inches away from the hottest part of an engine, the exhaust turbine. I know about this because I put up with it every day I drive my car, and just about every other turbo'ed car driver does too. yes, you can use heat shields and all that other crap, but it's still gonna kick of an immense amount of heat. Those heat shields actually deflect the heat towards the compressor wheel (right where that nifty electronic motor is). A turbo can kick off so much heat that it will melt any plastics around. how do I know this? My fan shroud melted from the temp of my turbo. and that's a good 5 inches away. not to mention that most of the plastic within 1 foot of the turbo starts to turn black because of the heat. it is enormously hot under the hood of a turbo. With a turbo, I dont doubt that the exhaust temp reaches 1700 degrees, I have seen pictures of car's exhausts glowing white. Now you bring up the fact of B1 bombers having a lot of electronics on board along with huge heat blooms coming from the engines, my answer to that, our government spends billions of taxpayers dollars for a bomber, and I think the last thing thaty should worry about is electronics melting. most people on this board, check that, I think I am safe to say all the people on this board dont have billions of dollars to research and custom fit components that are covered in heat shields or thermocoated up the ying yang. Plus, where B1 bombers use their afterburners the most is up in the stratosphere, a nice cold place for an engine to run. I too help people on this board, I do not post B.S. and make people use the search button, unless it's about the same question asked two posts down.

·
Registered
658 Posts
^im not trying to start a flame war either but a lot of people on this board usually doubt what i say. but im just saying it is very possible to have electronics close to 1000+ degrees no matter how much money u have. as a matter of fact, the engines on a plane are one of the cheapest components. its the avionics and bombing systems that cost so much. egt gauges measure extreme temperatures and they are electronic (along with other gauges that can measure temps that are 3000+). btw, most egt gauges go to 1600, thats one way that i can show u that your 1700 is kinda high. i dont know how else to prove it other than that. even though this is way off topic...u are very wrong about b-1's. B-1's weigh close to 500000 pounds with fuel and bombs and arent getting off the ground without afterburners, its impossible. they burn almost half of their fuel on takeoff then usually refuel in the air for their long sorties. even for short runs, they have to load up with fuel just to get off the ground then usually keep the burners goin until theyre a couple miles out. they also use afterburners to burn extra fuel off so they can land with a lighter load. a b-1 has to have a certain amount of fuel (or less) in them to land so that the weight doesnt cause the struts to collapse on landing. afterburners are rarely used in the stratosphere also. about the only other time they are used is after a bomb is dropped. afterburners burn way too much fuel for planes to just use them while cruising.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts