The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone experienced a strong gas smell coming into the interior at idle? It seems to come through the ventilation system and is NOT from other vehicles or from the outside. When it comes in and gets really strong, you can step outside the car and there is no smell.

These symptoms are not related to just filling up the tank and do not occur just after starting. It actually seems to take a little warming up before it occurs.

I've had it in the shop and they haven't come up with anything yet. The Nissan dealer couldn't find any sign of a fuel leak and did nothing else. I took it to a good independent shop and they definitely noted the symptom. ( I think I made the tech sick on our test drive =) They checked it for leaks and found none. They also checked out the EGR system and charcoal canister but found nothing wrong.

Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine never smells. After a Gas fill up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the aerodynamics etc sometimes pushes exhaust into the car and smells... does it on the 280Z hardcore...

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
does it on mine. has no leaks but exhaust leaks. do you have a header or custom exhaust.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Ramses said:
does it on mine. has no leaks but exhaust leaks. do you have a header or custom exhaust.
DOn't know about him but I got a header I'm started to smell that gas fume in my car eversince. Is it alright or am I fucked

·
Registered
6 Posts
The petrol smell is quite strong (from inside the car) if the car left idle for few minutes. Noticed a small hole right under the petrol intake area, i guess it was for excess petrol that spilled out. Wonder where would it lead to?

·
Shift_me
440 Posts
this might be it!

my broz dodge interpid was doing that a while back, i think he got the o2 senser replaced b/c it was on recall. im not sure, but i will ask him later.:cool:

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Check the charcoal/evap canister on the driver side. Could be the vaccum lines or the canister itself. And of course, make sure you don't have a leaky gas tank or something-happened to a friend of mine recently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts