The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 3.5SE has 139k miles and two weeks ago I was close to E, and then at some point the guage went back up to a quarter and got stuck there, I forgot and kept driving through out the day and I ran out of gas while my guage was at the quarter mark.

Ever since, once I get around half a tank to a quarter, it starts to flucuate. Just yesterday it said half a tank, 50 miles later I was at E.

What do you guys think is going on here?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Probably the sender unit on the fuel pump assembly under the rear seat. I would start with removing the pump and trying to clean the sender and wiper contact. If you are short on time, order a new fuel pump assembly ($200-300) and just schlup it in instead if you can't resolve the level sending issue.

Search, there are a couple of threads here on how to replace the fuel pump with pics...so that will give you a good idea of what's involved...worst bit is removing the retaining ring that holds the pump and gasket in place.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went on another long drive and the car is still off by a quarter tank. Tank said half full while the pump showed I put in 15 gallons. I'm thinking of just getting a new pump. I feel comfortable replacing it, just not sure of the brand. I am seeing them on eBay for as little as 50 bucks and then some in the higher sun 200s. Any recomendations other than OEM?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried seafoam and it seemed to have helped as the gauge stopped being as erratic. But earlier today I had a new fun problem. I parked my car on a semi steep hill facing up. I came back a few hours later and my car wouldn't not start at all. Acted as if it had no gas, not even a burble. I walked to a gas station, bought a two gallon bottle and dumped 2 gallons in just to be sure and it made no difference.

At this point I'm guessing the fuel filter is clogged or the pump didn't have enough power to push the gas up hill? I eventually got it going by rolling down the hill backwards to where the road became flat. Took about 5-7 seconds after that for it to fire up. The rest of the day it started up just fine.

I ordered a new pump, should have it Wednesday.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well that is frustrating. The part amazon said was compatible is wrong. The pump I received only has one fuel outlet while mine has two. Anyone know which after market part is compatible?

EDIT: Grabbed a different pump off amazon, I ignored their warnings of it not fitting, it has two outlets like I need. Chose next day air (amazon prime) so I will install tomorrow hopefully.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
There is no fuel filter on your car....fuel sock, and a fuel pressure regulator but no filter...:)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New pump arrived. Got it swapped in and it works fine. Only challenge I ran into was removing the ring that holds the pump in. It was a butt to remove and I couldnt fully get it back on. I couldnt get it onto the notched bits at all. I think its fine though, I pounded the crap out of it, I doubt it will vibrate out despite being half on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bahhh. I ran out of gas again at a quarter tank. So that pump was not the problem.. Think my cluster could be stuck? It will sometimes goes below a quarter, so Im not sure what to think.

But I think the easiest solution is to just fill up once it gets to half a tank.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I once had a Honda that had corroded contacts going to the fuel sensor...caused the same issues. Any chance your wiring harness is damaged (bit of a wild guess given that the altima fuel wiring is all inside, under the rear seat and not exposed like that old Honda. I doubt the gauge cluster is at fault...you could probably run through the FSM debug and see if the sensor is sending the correct voltages to the gauge for starters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts