The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
-Distractionz-
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my gas light is on...how many miles can i go before my car dies? i read the manual, and it said that the gas light will come on when im on E, and i should have some reserves in my tank. do yall know how many miles i can go?

·
Rule #1 is Im #1
259 Posts
Dued you should never let your gas light come on in the first place. All of those carbon deposits and crap that sit in the bottoem of your gas tank come through and kill your engine in time...

·
How now brown cow?
3,865 Posts
You should have a general idea when you fill back up, since the tank holds 15.9 gallons. I'm sure everyone's doesn't come on exactly at the same level, being the analog equipment that it is.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Guys, come on. That's what a fuel filter is for. Just don't do it all the time, unless you like changing that filter all the time.

·
Lindsey Lohan
238 Posts
^jethro is right. Its basically more of a dumb thing to drive with the light on. If youre not a hot chick, NOBODY will stop to help your stranded ass out. Borrow some money from a gf or something and get some petroleum distillates mang

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I know I can get about 30-50 miles when the light comes on and it still has about a 1/4 - 1/2 gallon left after that. Well that's assuming the calculations at the next fill up were correct. (I had no choice as I was in the middle of Michigan with no gas station in sight.)

·
Registered
282 Posts
My gas light comes on halfway between 1/4 of a tank and empty. Of course that probably still like 1/5 of a tank which translates to 3 gallons. It's probably safe to say you've got 2.5 gallons left at this point. So, depending on how you drive, it would translate to about 60 miles. But I'm talking about my 2000 SE auto, so you'll have to figure yours out for yourself.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Don't run around with the fuel level super low, it kills the fuel pumps MUCH faster. I used to sell and warranty them. Modern pumps use the reservoir around them to keep the pump immersed as they are fuel cooled and lubed, a modern pump will only run dry for maybe 60 seconds max before it tears up the plastic impeller by melting it. The lower the fuel level in tank gets the less the reservoir fills due to more fuel sloshing away from the pump pickup point, they then wear out faster. Why all the car owner manuals now say to never run out of fuel.

The reserve light distance thing is random and can easily vary by up to a gallon from car to car of the same model, no way can you get an accurate idea of how far you can go without running the car out of gas as a test. Even that can throw you for a loop when the float used to set level gets old to soak up fuel, it then sinks lower and the range changes, the arms can begin to drag and stick as well due to ethanol use to change the range as well. The averaging software used to balance the volts to make the needle not move wildly when fuel level sloshes around can greatly affect that too, it can vary the 'on' light by a half gallon easily from one time to the next..

So, you just can't tell Bubba, it's impossible to get an exact number that stands in place with time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts