The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. i own a 04' 2.5s altima.. and im getting what some call shitty gas mileage... im getting like 22 mpg... and i've driven about 300 sumthing miles....and about at least 180 are highway miles... and i shoulda at least gotten im thinking around 25 or so... so anyone wanan help me and tell me its my car... and not my damn engine because i dont drive my car to race it.. i drive it to get me from point a to point b... i give it very little gas..... and i tried to get it checked up by the dealership and they want to hold it for 3-4 days and run it on a full tank of gas... and then they tell me that i need to use 91 octane.. and not to baby the gas....so someone help me... cuz im pretty close to writing a nasty letter to consumer reports and have them deal with this issue.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Things that helped me (I drive a 02 2.5 manual):

1. Switched to 5W-30 Mobil 1 = about 40 miles more per tank when compared to dino oil
2. Used STP non-alcohol fuel injector cleaner (half bottle) = about 30 miles more per tank since. Did this at 22,000 am now at 27,000 miles.
3. I also noticed that my Alti gets the BEST MPG on Shell gas. Go figure, but I can get about 20-30 miles per tank more on Shell, same commute. Go figure.

All in all - I almost always (8 out of 10 tanks I'd say) get 500 miles/tank until the light comes on, and then I put in 16 1/2 gallons.

Oh yeah - I do not "baby" the car, but I tend to shift at 3K. When on highway, I drive at around 3K too. It just seems right to me, dunno why.

My commute is about 60:40 (hwy:city).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thx for yuor comments.. but uhh theoretically speaking.. lets just say you run your car on a full tank of gas and get 29 mpg... 29x20 = 580miles to a full tank of gas if driven correctly... but i dont think i should have to put in certain gas and oil and what not.. with out all that stuff i should get what it says on the paper.. but ill try to do that and see if i get any better results.. afterall... gas in CA is getting expensive :crying:

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
I get roughly 25 mpg with highway(traffic all the fcuking time) and city. Fill on mobil premium. Drive at like 2.5k rpm most of them time. I don't like nor see the need to drive fast all the time.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
iarearvin said:
well thx for yuor comments.. but uhh theoretically speaking.. lets just say you run your car on a full tank of gas and get 29 mpg... 29x20 = 580miles to a full tank of gas if driven correctly... but i dont think i should have to put in certain gas and oil and what not.. with out all that stuff i should get what it says on the paper.. but ill try to do that and see if i get any better results.. afterall... gas in CA is getting expensive :crying:
Well - let's face it - EPA MPG test is a joke - and what it says is not what you get. I don't know of any car that really does.

With my tricks that I told you (that seem to work on my car), I get about 30 MPG... meaning, 500 miles until the light comes on. I fill it up then. It comes to 16 1/2 - 17 gallons. So it is about 29-30 MPG. And this is NOT highway all the time.

I dunno, I am happy. My Altima gets a better mileage than my wife's Mazda Protege5, which has 1/2 L smaller engine and puts out what - 45 less HP?

So - try stuff out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I rack up about 75 miles a day. All freeway with chicago traffic. I get about 430 miles off a tank till the low fuel light comes on on my 2.5 auto. so I get close to 26 MPG..> seems to be a lil less when I fill up with Premium.. I've been using SHell V-Power lately.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ehh.. icic.. here in cali i try to get the cheapest gas but good gas for the price.. im not gonna put in sum independt gas station if its 2.00$ even for a few more cents ill put in chevron or mobil or w/e thats better then whats around... does it really matter if i just use a certain brand? and... i rarely hit traffic unless im on the freeway during rush house which like starts at 2 and ends at like 7 ish
- -;; ill try some of your tips and what not and see if it works.. hope it does..but nissan dealerships in my area really piss me off.. im pretty tempted to write a nasty letter to them and consumer reports about their shitty service.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You know - the brand of the gas... I don't quite get it but I see it in both my cars.

Altima gets the best MPG on 87 Shell.

My Protege5 MPG SUCKS on 87 Shell though. It however gets the best MPG on Racetrac gas. Here we are also talking about 30 miles/tank difference.

So - I dunno what to tell you. But - when I started driving 50 miles / day, I did testing, pretty much all brands that I see on my way to work and back, and that's what I figured.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
You may or may not get near the EPA figures depending on a couple dozen factors...are your tires properly inflated? Do you drive in a hilly area? Do you like to run the car up to or near the redline here and there? For about 8 months after I got my 02 2.5S I was getting around 26mpg on average...mostly hilly rural driving, but after having a recall applied that reprogrammed my computer I droppped down to about 21-22. Switched to Mobil1 and shortly afterwards (but not right away) my mileage has gone back up to 25-26 again.

Also I see that you are talking about miles per tank which does not necessarily equate to miles per gallon. True the Altima has a 20 gallon tank, but you'll rarely put 20 gallons in. The only way to accurately calcualte mileage is to fill the car until the pump auto stops, then reset one of the trip meters, drive it until you feel the need to fill it again and divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons you put in the tank.

Additionally many members have noticed that their mileage seems to improve a good 10-15% after the break in period, so patience might be your best friend.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
tdoyle said:
Additionally many members have noticed that their mileage seems to improve a good 10-15% after the break in period, so patience might be your best friend.
Oh heck yea... I forgot to mention that... my mileage went up at abount 10,000 miles to about 25-26. Before that - I would get max 350 miles until the light came on (about 16 gallons).

I was like - WTF?? :confused2

·
Registered
381 Posts
big car bad on gas

My Alti gets about 28-31 on the high-way and 24-26 round town. Now I have done a few things to help it out. mobli 1 oil. and (huge differnence) ROYAL PURPLE auto tranny fluid. your tranny eats up a lot of power this stuff really helps. I have to be cairfull not to cherp the tires @ green lights. BUY A K&N FILTER. more torque and minor improvement in gas milage. Take off the air resinator under the left wheel well. 3hp right there. I'm gona change out the the plugs for Bosh +4, loved em on my old accord (276,000 and still going). After all mods and oil changes reset the ecu. This optimizes the fuel delivery map.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
dnvrfan said:
I get about 30 MPG in our 3.5 when we are on the freeway which is about as good as the 2.5 on the same stretch of road. Sometimes I feel like the 3.5 gets better mileage.
Dat true... saw it few times on this forum. Makes no sense to me - unless of course a 3.5 is more efficient machine than 2.5. That makes a 2.5 quite bad though, as it has all those HP less too.

Oh well, what can U do now.

·
Thought Police Officer
564 Posts
WTF? The numbers you guys are posting are incredible to me. In city driving, my '93 will average 240/tank, 10 gallons. How the hell can you almost twice the miles from only 6 gallons more?? This car must need a serious tune-up.

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
rookie said:
Dat true... saw it few times on this forum. Makes no sense to me - unless of course a 3.5 is more efficient machine than 2.5. That makes a 2.5 quite bad though, as it has all those HP less too.

Oh well, what can U do now.
Nothing you can do but remember that number I gave you is being on the freeway at a constant speed. In the city and all the 2.5 gets better mileage. But then it does not help that she is pretty heavy on the gas pedal compared to me.

·
Hispanic Causin Panic
1,747 Posts
GcDiaz said:
WTF? The numbers you guys are posting are incredible to me. In city driving, my '93 will average 240/tank, 10 gallons. How the hell can you almost twice the miles from only 6 gallons more?? This car must need a serious tune-up.
Dude how much mileage you have on your car ?..might make a big difference.
long trips i get around 540 miles to the tank , but im running 93 octane, and penzoil synthetic. also i have and intake wich is supposed to help a little on mpg. there a few mods out there, and all the little things you can do to the car changes the mpg higher or lower depending on what bolt ons you put on the car . lighter wheels, and so on.

tune up your ride, and i bet you will notice the difference.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts