The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Former Alty Owner
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just wondering how r u 3.5's are doing on gas mileage?? I'm not getting 21 or 26mpg.. I'm getting more like 15-17 maybe 18? Please post, I want to hear it's not only me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gas Mileage

My car has about 2000 miles and I have yet to get more than 20-21 mpg. I too was hoping for closer to 25-26 mpg. Maybe as the engine breaks in more things should improve.

Also, I think we are down since it is winter and relatively cold where we live. I would hang on til spring and see if things improve.

G

·
My typical driving which is majority of highway driving gives me about 26.8mpg. On longer trips (last weekend 750miles) I am getting 30-31mpg. This is a loaded car, two people and 70mph.

Sounds a little on the high side but I don't get on it much and that really makes a difference

·
Former Alty Owner
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pcsgrp.. 750 miles for one weekend?? damn, that's about as much as I travel in a month. I really think I need to take a long drive and open it up, I have about 2500 miles on it now. Sweet, yeah I agree, it's pretty cold here in NY, spent a lot of time just warming the car up, and it seems whenever I start up the car, the DTE drops everytime.

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
You must be stompin' the gas to get those crappy numbers!! I have over 15k miles on mine and usually average between 23- 25 mpg. (even though the compuer says 26-28) And like most, I do open her up several times a day.

I think I would have to floor all day everyday to get 16-18 mpg.

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
scottlny said:
Hey all just wondering how r u 3.5's are doing on gas mileage?? I'm not getting 21 or 26mpg.. I'm getting more like 15-17 maybe 18? Please post, I want to hear it's not only me.
Hey scottlny, welcome aboard! Haven't seen you around here...

Anyway - expect anywhere from 16-18mpg around the the first 1-3 weeks when you get your car. After putting on about 1000 miles things should get better.

Don't even pay attention to that STUPID MPG ESTIMATOR

You'll be playing cat and mouse if you try to use that to estimate your MPG. What you need to do is the next time you go the pump - reset your TRIP meter either A or B - your choice. Once you do that drive until you're ready to fill up (1/4 tank - 1/2 tank) again - whenever you choose or wherever you see a good gas price.

Then just divide your TRIP meter by the gallons filled. I've been doing it for a while and I do MOSTLY CITY, and a little highway on the weekends. I average anywhere from 21mpg - 24mpg - only got 24.xx once. Overall I'd say its mostly about 21-22mpg avg for people who do the city and a hardly any highway...

As you can see those who do the highway end up with 26-30 range.

·
Registered
79 Posts
scottlny ... do you have an auto or manual? If you have the manual, you do know there are 5 speeds? ;) (j/k)

I've got about 8500 miles on mine, and for around town driving, I usually get 21 to 23 mpg and I get on it every chance I get. on the highway, with the cruise set at 80 (80 in altimaspeak is actually 76 on mine) I get about 27 to 28.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your mileage is supposed to improve after 1000 miles? I must be doing something wrong. My first 5 tanks (in 2k miles) were 25.1, 25.2, 24.5, 21.9 (autocrossing), and 23.7 (mostly 75mph cruising). On the current tank with no freeway driving, I'm probably getting 22 mpg.

Of course, I live at the top of a hill, and the street has 8 stop signs in under 2 miles. The last 1/2 mile is 15% grade (which the V-6 will pull happily in 4th at 35 mph, amazing).

Of course it could be that I'm just enjoying my 240 hp a little more often.:D :D

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
1600MILES

I am at 19-21 all the time. That is mostly city short trips, engine not even gettin up to operating temp. I think that is good.

·
1,333 Posts
19-26

26 On the highway when I travel

19 around town. I can't seem to stop flooring it?:D

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
-=JRC=- said:
19-26

26 On the highway when I travel

19 around town. I can't seem to stop flooring it?:D
Damn JRC - I cruise around town and there's hardly ever any stretch of road that I can find that makes it easy for me to get on it. If I floor it I always end up on someone's bumper unless I want to drive like a maniac and keep changing lanes.

A few weeks back I was doing about 10 over the speed limit and this car in front of me was doing the same - AND I wasn't no where near his/her rear bumper and they pulled over to let me pass. I was SURPRISED - I could see if I was on their back but there was just about 3/4 of a car length between us...

Had my first V8 mustang kill last night (check racing forum)!

·
1,333 Posts
Polished2002 said:

Damn JRC - I cruise around town and there's hardly ever any stretch of road that I can find that makes it easy for me to get on it. If I floor it I always end up on someone's bumper unless I want to drive like a maniac and keep changing lanes.

A few weeks back I was doing about 10 over the speed limit and this car in front of me was doing the same - AND I wasn't no where near his/her rear bumper and they pulled over to let me pass. I was SURPRISED - I could see if I was on their back but there was just about 3/4 of a car length between us...

Had my first V8 mustang kill last night (check racing forum)!
your in Silver Spring that's why. I live and work in Columbia. A little less traffic. I take the long way to wherever I go. =)

·
Kingpin
122 Posts
I must agree with JRC.
I have 8600 miles on my auto 3.5 and I get
around19-20 driving around town, a mix of highway
and city. But on trips I normally drive around 80-90
and average 25-27 mpg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was average about 24-26 mph w 60% highway driving. But lately it's been 22-23 mph. I'm opening it up more and I paying the price at the pump.

But gas prices are cheap again so why not?

G

·
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I put a lot of miles on my car but mostly on the weekends. I live in central NJ, drive north to Vermont near Killington or to New York State near Whiteface or Gore to ski. Second week I had the car, drove up to Conn to see an Aerosmith Concert. Yep, I do put a lot of miles on my cars. Fortunately, I can walk to the train station to get into manhattan.

As far as gas consumption, I origionally thought the trip computer was off but I am getting, driving at a steady 70mph about 30mpg. All I do is take my time getting up to speed and just sit back. I did notice a drop in mileage when I put the 4 snow tires on and that loss was about 2mpg. Since I put the snow tires on at 2500miles and I just turned 7000, it is hard to tell if breaking the motor in has helped. I do use Mobil 1 and in my opinion, that makes a difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I didn't know this until I tried it... RESET YOUR MPG calculator.

Get the MPG on the display, then HOLD DOWN the TRIP button for a few seconds. The display will blank out, then not re-appear with a number until you've travelled a mile or two. So only do this when you are in the car on the road.

Before reseting my MPG, my altima was using it's entire mileage history for calculating MPGs. After resetting it it uses just the miles since the reset. This Thursday we drove our altima on a 100 mile trip. Before the trip, MPG read 18.5 (total since day one, mostly city driving). During the trip it got as high as 32 MPG highway (wind at back) and 25 mpg into the high winds. Much more useful info than the 18-19mpg it seemed to be stuck at before the reset.

OpalBlue

·
Former Alty Owner
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Opalblue is the man!!!!!

Opalblue.. I had no idea.. you could do that.. my mpg is saying 19.2 per gallon, but I think I was getting much less than that as of late. I commute to work, and it's a 7-10 minute commute back and forth to the station. People think I'm crazy using this car as a station car. I think this is why I get such low miles to the gallon, that and I also hit that gas, usually hit 90-100 every morning, at 5:50 in the morning, not to many cops on the road.. makes it more fun.. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.