The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1994 altima (my first one) and i noticed that the gas pedal is somewhat hard to push, but once you pass the initial sticky point, it is fine. Is this normal for altimas, and if so, is there a way to fix this???

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
mine just started doing that about 2 weeks ago too... 99 GXE.

if you are stopped, and press the pedal to accelerate slowly, it will feel like its stuck, then all of a sudden it passes the stuck part and it lurches forward... only happens when you are completely stopped.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My altima was doing that the other day. The gas pedal was really hard for some reason.
When I check the pedal, It was just the mat. :D

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Inspect the throttle cable to see if there's kinks or something.
My clutch pedal sqeeks....kinda funny sounding.
Jay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys. My 95 sunfire had exactly that symptom. When I put a K&N filter on it, I checked out the throttle body, and the flapper was gummed up (why, I don't know). Removed it, cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner, and it fixed it completely. However, my 94 alty is squeaky clean. So, if it's clean, I'd check all the cables and use some graphite lube.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh yeah. The reason I'm here is because my clutch is stiff and creaks too. I'll try the lithium or graphite, and see how that goes.

·
588 Posts
u can try cleaning the throttle body and see what happnes, i cleaned mine and i got a better response on the pedal

·
Registered
389 Posts
just follow the tube that leads back from your intake to your engine...it ends at the throttle body... It shouldn't be too hard to find...there is also a bar that connects from your throttle cable to the end of the Throttle Body. To clean it just remove that hose you followed back and spray the carb cleaner in there and wipe it out....you don't need to go crazy with the spray though... a little will work. MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF CAR FIRST... nOOb, j/k

·
Registered
389 Posts
there is a butterfly valve inside of the throttle body so to really clean it you have to open and close it a few times and wipe out the grime around the edges of the TB wall

·
87 octane evangelist
317 Posts
CCFOTB said:
just follow the tube that leads back from your intake to your engine...it ends at the throttle body... It shouldn't be too hard to find...there is also a bar that connects from your throttle cable to the end of the Throttle Body. To clean it just remove that hose you followed back and spray the carb cleaner in there and wipe it out....you don't need to go crazy with the spray though... a little will work. MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF CAR FIRST... nOOb, j/k
actually, i'm pretty sure if you read the directions it will tell you to sray it into the intake (after the MAF and air filter)with the engine on and blip the throttle while you do it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
well you could but there is a reason that you have a filter... to keep debris from getting into your engine. So if your working in a garage then yeah go ahead and follow ^^ advice above. However, I don't have a garage so I don't take a chance of sucking some leaves or stuff into my engine.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
jiggersplat said:
actually, i'm pretty sure if you read the directions it will tell you to sray it into the intake (after the MAF and air filter)with the engine on and blip the throttle while you do it.
Sounds like something that would throw a code, since the MAF would be effectively disconnected, so you might have to clear that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You may want to disconnect your battery overnight anyway, so the computer 'forgets' the data from before. Let it learn how you drive again. They are supposed to be adaptive.

But I found that the best way to clean mine (it was STICKY!!) was to remove it and soak it in carb cleaner over night. then take a nylon brush to it the next day. Squeaky clean, and very natural throttle response. The difference was well worth the effort.

As to why it was so dirty in the first place, I have no idea. I'll just accredit that to American engineering. So I bought a Nissan and have never been happier :) My TB is always clean too.

·
22,052 Posts
That hose from the right edge of your valve cover that connects to your intake tube is to blame.

That's oil vapor and blow by that gets sucked into the intake tube/throttle body and causes the butterfly to gunk up.

It's worse on turbo'd cars, that's why I'm installing an oil catch can. But you could do the same on any car to help keep that gunk from accumulating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
CCFOTB said:
Hello, I have the same problem of the pedal sticking. Im having some trouble finding the throttle body, i see two tubes coming from the intake, one goes into the side of the valve cover and the other one goes down somewhere. Anyone have a pic? Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts