The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2014 Nissan Sentra SR , I was on my way to work when the car just lost power and stopped, when I checked the car said 60 miles to empty, and when triple A came they put gas in the car and it crancked, why would the gas reading be off like that ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
These fuel mileage computers are nothing more than estimates calculated by air intake and maybe injector pulse. The one on my Versa is very optimistic. On nearly every tank of gas I run through it the computer says I'm getting 4-6 MPG more than I'm actually getting. Since these cars were designed to run on 100% gasoline the computers may also be calibrated for 100% gasoline use. Most of us use 90% gas 10% ethanol because, it's cheaper and more readily available. There's only about 3% energy difference in the 2 fuels but I've heard some people say they see up to about a 10% fuel mileage increase when using 100% gas. One day I'm going to run a tank of 100% gas through my Versa just to see if it makes the computer more accurate and whether it has a big impact on my mileage or not. Was the actual gauge showing empty? I'd trust the gauge to be more accurate than the fuel computer but, there's probably some error in both. Personally I like to fill up when my gauge hits 1/4 or very soon thereafter. That gives me several miles I can drive if necessary to locate a gas station and get the tank filled. Running the tank low and/or out of gas can be detrimental to your fuel pump too since the fuel in the tank is what helps keep the pump running cool.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You NEVER trust a fuel trip computer for that. Gauge is better.

X2 to never letting them run out of gas, the best way to wreck the fuel pump there is. Pumps have maybe 60 seconds of dry running before the plastic impellers melt from dry running and pump is then scrap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts