The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smelled something strange coming from under the hood past couple of days after driving. Last night I checked everywhere for leaks and found nothing.

I took the oil cap off and holy crap it smells like gasoline! I checked the dip stick and same thing, it smells like gasoline.

Is the car running too rich? This just started happening, taking it to dealership on my lunch break.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Leaky injector is my bet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Really ?!?

Say it isn't so ...

Gas smell from a gasoline engine crankcase , who wudda thunk it ?

Honestly , I hope you don't get laughed at too loudly.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Probably not.

If the engine was running fat/rich the ECM would detect it and flag a code.
Don't mind being told I'm wrong so long as there's a correction to my thinking :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really ?!?

Say it isn't so ...

Gas smell from a gasoline engine crankcase , who wudda thunk it ?

Honestly , I hope you don't get laughed at too loudly.
Thanks for being a dick master tech, your input really helped me understand what could potentially be wrong. That would belike me mocking you for not knowing how to build a build a basic eigrp network.

There was an usual smell coming from under my hood that led me to checking the oil cap. Asked a question out concern for my vehicle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I smelled something strange coming from under the hood past couple of days after driving. Last night I checked everywhere for leaks and found nothing.

I took the oil cap off and holy crap it smells like gasoline! I checked the dip stick and same thing, it smells like gasoline.

Is the car running too rich? This just started happening, taking it to dealership on my lunch break.
Gas is allowed passed the rings when the engine is cold. If you had a leaky injector it wouldn't necessarily flag a code because the engine is off and today's engines tend to wait until the engine is up to temp or some time has passed before throwing a code and by then any excess fuel is out of the chamber.

Watch the temp gauge and make sure you are getting hot enough, if not you might need a thermostat.

If your area does sniffer emissions inspections you should let your car sit at a shop overnight. Then they pull out a spark plug and check the emissions right there on each cylinder, if one spikes higher than the other then you found the bad injector.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gas is allowed passed the rings when the engine is cold. If you had a leaky injector it wouldn't necessarily flag a code because the engine is off and today's engines tend to wait until the engine is up to temp or some time has passed before throwing a code and by then any excess fuel is out of the chamber.

Watch the temp gauge and make sure you are getting hot enough, if not you might need a thermostat.

If your area does sniffer emissions inspections you should let your car sit at a shop overnight. Then they pull out a spark plug and check the emissions right there on each cylinder, if one spikes higher than the other then you found the bad injector.

Coolant temp?

Thanks, Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts