The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I am going to change the color of the lights in the Gear Selection area( P R D 1 2). I do not know what size bulbs it takes. Can anyone help me? I searched but I could not find the size of the bulb but I did find how to do it. I also searcbed through my Haynes book and had no luck there either. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's been a couple of years since I did that but I think it's only one bulb from what I remember

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you pretty sure about it only being one? It looks like it may be a pain to do and I want to make sure I have everything. I am doing a major replacement of lights next weekend and I don't want to keep having to take things apart. The last car I had I changed all of the lights in it but I did it over an extended period of time and it required me to take the gauges and other items out of the car on several occasions and after it was all said and done I had dropped screws in places that I couldn't reach and the rattle about drove me crazy :sad: So I am trying not to do what I did before. Buy the way, thanks for all of your help on this it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
701 Posts
ONE bulb only man...........just once you pull the main cover off......youre going to have the one plastic peice that has all the letters on it. that can be pulled out carefully. youre not going to to get it completely off. just pull up and turn it enough to get your fingers in to pull out the bulb out...thats all to it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. That's a relief. I thought I was going to have to remove the entire console to get it off(that's what the Haynes manual said). Does it just pop off or is it screwed in(the plastic piece)?

·
Registered
842 Posts
It really isn't that hard to change that bulb. It took me about 10 minutes to do. The only thing that I didn't wind up changing is my climate control lights due to the simple fact that you have to take the whole dash out to get them out. Plus you have to solder the led's in and all that crap. All the other bulbs are simple plug and play type deals.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If I'm understanding what piece you're talking about, it screws out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, now that I think about it, on all three of my 1st generation alty's, that bulb always ends up going out... Exactly how do u go about changing that bulb? I have popped off the cover before, to change my radio, but have never attempted to take off the shift selectore cover cuz I don't wanna eff anything up. Exactly what do you do after taking offf that first panel?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my understanding, you have to pop the plate around the gear shift up and then it will expose 4 screws that you should take out then you will have to slide the seat fowards and undo the the bolts at the back of the console by the base of the seat and you will have to remove the entire console. There are some other screws up by the top of the console by the radio that you have to remove as well.

From what it sounds like here, is that you just have to pop off the plate around the gear shift and gently pop up the plastic plate that shows P D R 1 2 and it should expose the bulb and you can change it w/o having to remove the entire console. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I am going to change my climate control lights, but I bought a spare one that I am going to work on just in case I mess it up. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok.....the one peice thats around all the letters and #s. Thats the piece that pops off. I only know this since I did mine last wk to change out the buld. That plastic piece pops out while holding together each side. Then pull. Once you see what I am talking about. You will know what to do. Like I said before. Its not necesary to remove the whole plstic peice from the shifter. Lift up high enough to turn it and be able to slip your hand underneath to pull the bulb out. The buld ..if sitting on the drivers side will be in the left side right against the shifter. Just try and you'll see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nice avatar Tomvpr......are you any good with that race??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you explain again pls?

ALTIMA FREAK said:
Ok.....the one peice thats around all the letters and #s. Thats the piece that pops off. I only know this since I did mine last wk to change out the buld. That plastic piece pops out while holding together each side. Then pull. Once you see what I am talking about. You will know what to do. Like I said before. Its not necesary to remove the whole plstic peice from the shifter. Lift up high enough to turn it and be able to slip your hand underneath to pull the bulb out. The buld ..if sitting on the drivers side will be in the left side right against the shifter. Just try and you'll see what I am talking about.
I need to change the bulb too. I popped the first outer black plastic plate. I notice an inner unit secured by screws in the middle of which sits the plastic piece with the gear shift # on it and the gear lever beside it. Could you please explain better how it needs to be done? Do i just try to pop up the inner plastic piece with something flat until I am able to put my fingers inside? Or do I need to take some other part off before that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Once you pull the 1st plastic piece out. there is not need for anymore screws to unscrew. the plastic piece around the shifter IS what you pull out. that comes out after sqeazing the sides a bit.then pull back and you'll see the front sides come out. After that. then you will see where the bulb is underneath that. Pull that plastic piece all the way then turn it away .To the point where you can see the bulb and pull that thing out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts