The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
run fuel gauge to almost empty, below " E" ,fuel gauge reads 380mi. filled up with 16 gallons, dte reads 380mi. whats really up with this fuel gauges***!!!. Can somebody explain this?

·
1,357 Posts
Maybe yours runs on solar power:D j/k. Somethings wrong, my dte yesterday was 35mi and it was flashing. Maybe the float inside is stuck. Go get it checked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
basically, Although it's a 20 Gal tank, it's really a 16 Gal tank with a 4 Gal reserve. Look on the bright side ... the car panics when you go below 4 gallons that it's very unlikely you'll ever run empty. :)

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
i have never had to put more than 18 gal's in. the reserve is huge. my DTE works well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I drove it to see how for i could go.. So far i have put 19.76 Gal's back into the car. I drove like 120 miles after the DTE started flashing --- and the light way on the whole way.

·
wannabe member....
145 Posts
i've heard that if you run the tank dry the check engine light will come on. also, if you do not click the gas cap when you close it it will come on...

anyone else hear this? :confused:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was wondering...

I noticed that for a 20 gallon tank it only was taking about 15 gal to fill up close to empty. Thanks for the info. I would have tested it out but no time to drive the extra miles and run out of gas. Has anyone ever noticed that the MPG is different in the computer than in real life? I calculated the mileage over 1100 miles and it was 2 miles per gallon lower that the computer. Also...after a few thousand miles what kind of mileage are the SE's getting.

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Just FYI, but you *do not* want to run your tank dry in most any modern fuel-injected car, especially those with an in-tank pump. The fuel acts as both a coolant and lubricant for the pump. Run it dry, and you'll quickly damage -- if not destroy -- the pump. Then you're *really* stranded.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

G

·
In NY/NJ metro area type driving, I am getting about 26mpg. I find if you reset the mpg when you fill up it gives you a very accurate reading on mpg for that tank. However, if you don't reset, it takes into account all the other readings (I would think they are using a stistical avg based on the 30second readings) which I noticed has a tendency to give you a slightly higher mpg (in my case, I do more steady parkway driving then stop and go) because of the way it takes the avgs. Of course if you do a lot of stop and go driving, not resetting it at each fill up will tend to lower the overall avg.

·
Registered
58 Posts
pcsgrp said:
In NY/NJ metro area type driving, I am getting about 26mpg. I find if you reset the mpg when you fill up it gives you a very accurate reading on mpg for that tank. However, if you don't reset, it takes into account all the other readings (I would think they are using a stistical avg based on the 30second readings) which I noticed has a tendency to give you a slightly higher mpg (in my case, I do more steady parkway driving then stop and go) because of the way it takes the avgs. Of course if you do a lot of stop and go driving, not resetting it at each fill up will tend to lower the overall avg.
That makes sense. Actually I think it was 300 Meters that is plots and not actually a time. I will try resetting each fill up and check it out. Thanks!

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
re-set

pcsgrp said:
That is a given with every tankfull, mine is still off about 4mpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes this is true about reseting it. It must be reset every time you fill up. As well yes if you drive with the cap off the check eng light can come on. But it can also me other problems. I had that light come on in my 98 altima and it did this once a week for a month. They then took apart my engine and replaced some thing. They said that nissan put in a cheap part that cost like 40$ and if you topped off your car when filling up it could break and if it boke they would replace the part witht he more expensive part that cost 140$. NOTE THIS WAS ON MY 98 ALTIMA

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh PS as for running it dry my old altima had a 15.5 gal gas tank and i could put 19 gal's in it. AND i never ran out of gas not once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts