The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading plenty of posts here about altima complaints, and problems. I love this car and I was able to ignore most of this, but I can't hold it in any more.

A while back I had to bring my altima in because my breaks were pulsating. They said my rotors were warped, and they machined my rotors. I wasn’t really happy with just machining my rotors. I would have much rather had new rotors, but that’s ok. The problem seemed to go away.

A couple weeks later the breaks were acting up again. So I had to bring it back in. While I was there I told them about a couple other problems I’ve been having. One is when the driver's side window is down, and you shut the door, it makes an awful rattle. The other is a popping noise I’m getting sometimes out of my front suspension when turning. So I dropped the car off, and let them look at it. They called me later and told me that the break problem was from the rear rotors, and the window rattle was because of the window regulator. They said they would replace the rear rotors, and put in a new regulator. They didn’t have either part in stock, so I would have to come back. As for the suspension noise, they couldn’t reproduce it. They let me take one of the techs for a ride, and I couldn’t get it to happen on the short drive (aaahhhh!!). It doesn’t happen all the time, but it happens enough to aggravate me. So since I had to come back when the parts came in anyway, I would just have to wait and try again next time.

The parts for my car came in, and I brought my car in this morning. I reminded them that I’m still hearing the suspension noise. I called in this afternoon to get an update on my car. They told me that the work for the rear rotors, and the window regulator was done. They said the tech looked around again for the suspension noise, but couldn’t find anything. They said I could come in and go for another ride with the tech. So away we went, at first the car wasn’t cooperating, but at the very end I reproduced it, and the tech heard it loud and clear. He said I could leave it there until the end of the day and let him look at it. I agreed, and went back to work.

At the end of my work day I called back, and they said he looked at it for over 3 hours, and he can’t find where the noise is coming from. The tried to feed me the old "well, lets let it go for now and see if it gets worse" line. The said "we can’t just throw parts at it trying to fix it", "Nissan doesn’t like it when we replace unnecessary parts". I told him there is no way I’m paying this much for a car that makes popping noises in the suspension. I asked him if Nissan is ok with having unsatisfied customers, and if this is the solution that they would recommend. He said, "Nissan just says fix the problem". I asked him if we could escalate the problem, and get Nissan involved. He said he is going to call Nissan and see what they suggest. This made me feel a little better. So they said I could pick up my car while we wait to see what Nissan says.

When I get there I decide to test out my new window regulator. When I tested the door it sounded worse than it did before. So, I went right back in and complained. Sure enough someone came out with me, and agreed that the rattling was still there, and that it was unacceptable. Don’t they test things after they fix them? So I had to leave my car there again, and wait to see what they say tomorrow.

I’ve had some other complaints about my car, but these are the worst. I can live with a few minor things, but not with major ones like these.

·
MKII MR2 > *
328 Posts
Considering this is a brand new model, and you paid $0 for your Altima, be happy :) At least they're trying to fix the problem. Some dealers just refuse to help at all. Stick to your guns though, and dont' give them any slack.

It is common to experience these in the first year of a major overhaul, and they will sort things out once they get more complaints.

:p

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M|22 said:
you paid $0 for your Altima
very funny :p

im just kinda upset right now. trying to cool down. I just needed a place to vent, and I thought you guys (and gals) could relate.

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonight my alty sleeps at the shop, and I’m having separation anxiety.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
sht dawg, u have every right to complain even if u didn't pay for u'r car, complain all u want because it IS unacceptable.....i have the same door rattle in my passenger front door but have yet to take it in for that.....there are a lot of unacceptable things to have on a brand new car even though it is the first year w/ the new altima, some things are just rediculous and should have been checked b4 they were givin' to the dealership....now that i have something to work w/ (((((window regulator)))))...i'm gonna go to the dealership and tell them to fix it, now that i know a part name they can't give me the usual b.s. and runaround

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have owned 14 new cars in my life and must say that excluding a '91 olds , this is my worst by far for nit picking problems. and it is frustrating that nissan cant seem to fix them atleast on the first attempt. This was my first nissan product and I suspect my last. Its nowhere close to the toyotas and suburas I have owned in basic quality control. Heck it doesnt even measure up to my first new car a '69 chevy malibu.

·
Registered
55 Posts
sht dawg, watch those brakes! Your 3yr/36k warranty should cover them as long as you complain when the pulsation returns which it will. Mfgers are using shit rotors now (lower cost) that wear unevenly. The dealer will continue to grind them down until they are too thin, and then, if they are still under warranty, they will replace them. You want those new rotors BEFORE 3/36.
As for the rest, c'est la vie. Might want to look for a new dealer but they sound like they tried reasonably hard. If this is the dealership where your bought the car they should be EXTRA nice (no matter how much it cost... $0?)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Oh my god I have that exact same rattle on my drivers door. Its not just a small rattle, it sounds like the window is going to break inside of the door! I'll have to scream at nissan during my next oil change.

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1greek4u said:
Its not just a small rattle, it sounds like the window is going to break inside of the door!
Thats exactly what mine sounds like.

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mmrfr said:
I have owned 14 new cars in my life and must say that excluding a '91 olds , this is my worst by far for nit picking problems. and it is frustrating that nissan cant seem to fix them atleast on the first attempt. This was my first nissan product and I suspect my last. Its nowhere close to the toyotas and suburas I have owned in basic quality control. Heck it doesnt even measure up to my first new car a '69 chevy malibu.
I know. I didnt have these stupid little problems in the 93 civic that I traded in, but it wasnt as fun to drive or look at as my 3.5 either.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
That totally blows! I can't imagine the stress its causing you. There is nothing like having a car that is making noises or just operating the way it should be. Keep up posted.

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I picked up my car today after work.

They finally fixed the window rattle. They said it was a combination of the regulator and the insulation in the door. The also replaced the rear rotors and the breaks feel good.

To try and fix the front suspension noise, they had to call up Nissan. I guess they call some Nissan tech department in California. Well, Nissan said that they have had similar cases of this noise, but not enough to make a tsb. They determined that the noise was coming from the left front sub frame. Nissan instructed them to remove and retap 6 bolts, add neverseize, and retorque to spec. The dealer said after they performed this they were unable to reproduce the noise. Only time will tell if this actually fixed it. It didn’t happen on the way home, but the jury is still out.

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh, and when I was at the dealer to pick up my car I got to see a new 350z. All I can say is wow! Its looks even better in person.

·
Registered
15 Posts
sht dawg-

I have had the EXACT same problem with the popping and cracking noise in the front suspension. It is especially noisy when I am on an incline and turning. In fact, it sounds like the damn axle is going to break. Good to know that they will work on that.

Same damn thing with the rattling!!! Each day I hear a new rattle from a different area of my car. I didnt pay $18K to have poor craftsmanship. The rattles drive me freaking nuts!!!

My pops told me this and I guess it makes good sense: "You have 5yrs/75,000 miles to not worry about your car (yes I got the ext. warranty). Be greatful for what you have and dont focus on the negatives."

Dude is right I guess, but it still blows..... :mad:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't have any rattles in my door, or anything like that. But, my sunroof cover does make a bit of noise. And, sometimes, I get a rear speaker buzz. Other than that...quiet as a tomb. It's got 10K miles, too.

My atittude......does it get you there? I also have a Jeep. It's noisy. Get's awful milage. Uncomfortable. Etc, etc. And, I LOVE it! It still get's me there. Even if there was a pile of wrecked Altimas (or whatever) in the road....HA!

It seems to me that I always buy a car for the drive train. All that other stuff is just extra. Our Altima's have a sweet powerplant, me thinks. And, the nice looks is a bonus. If I wanted comfy armrests and rattle free bodies, etc. that lasted a million miles I'd buy a Toyota. Those damn Toyotas last forever.....But, then again....I won't own any car "forever".

If your brakes suck....time to take matters in your own hands. Aftermarket brakes??? You can only go as fast as you can stop!!!

·
3.5 SE
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drewdog said:
It is especially noisy when I am on an incline and turning
yup. hopefully they fixed it. Ill let you guys know. I have to test it out some more.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.