The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the posts on this webpage, and finally decided that I needed to share her story. She bought an 02 Altima when it first came out, and it has been a freakin nightmare. We are over at Nissan every other day for some other problem. The most recent problem is the engine not starting up. read numerous posts regarding this. In the past year and a half her car has had trouble starting 4 or 5 times....it sounds like its turning over, but it just wont engage. The last time was the worst. Her car stalled in the middle of the road, and I had to run out of class to help her because she wasnt strong enough to turn the wheel and get the car out of the road. After tirelessly trying to start the car, I decided to go get some gas since it was a really cold morning (like 0 degrees) and she had less than a 1/4 tank. Finally had to get the car towed. Sure enough, Nissan couldnt seem to reproduce the problem. They kept the car for 3 whole days, letting various service managers take it home to try to reproduce the problem. They finally gave it back to her and told her there was nothing they could do. Lets just say she was pissed...when you own a new car, the last thing you expect is to have your car stall in the middle of the road when you are on your way to an important meeting. Anyway, she gets a call from Nissan about a week ago. Apparently they got a call from Nissan headquarters stating that there has been a cold start problem with Altimas in the northeast. Apparently the fuel has been freezing in the fuel lines! So they asked her to keep her tank over 1/2 full on very cold days, and that Nissan would be sending them a "product" to remedy the problem. We both think this is complete bull. I just wanted to write and let those of you know that have had this problem, that it apppears Nissan is aware, although their remedy seems like a load of crap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has been trying to lemon law it.....

I believe the same thing has to go wrong 4 or more times, and right now there are a couple of problems that are working on their 4th time, but since so many people seem to have this cold start problem, I don't know if lemon law will still apply

·
F**ked Up Member
280 Posts
OMG!! I'm not the only one.... This has happen to me twice so far. Each time the dealer told me that they could find nothing, no check engine light, no codes, no consult,..blah blah blah... So I decided to take it to a mechanic near my house and tell him of the same problem. couple hours later ... he told me my spark plugs were dark with soot and my engine was running lean. So I repeated that to my dealer and they said no we have a machine that does all the test accurately and professionally. Nothing is wrong with your car. And all they printed me was a 1 page instruction on how to start the car when it is really cold or if it wont crank. I think there is a TSB on that somewhere on this forum.
But all they ever tell is to keep tank 1/2 full and crank car for 15 sec. Full of BS to me.

I'm going to get new plugs this week so if it happens again , I'm going back to the dealer.

·
A+, MCP
1,111 Posts
Well, I don't know if this is a common problem with Nissan. I so far don't have any problem like that with my Alti since I live in California. But it happened to my '92 240sx serveal times during my ownership. For no reason, it just wouldn't started. I had to try so many times (the longest time took me an hour) to start it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is this no start problem a 2.5 or 3.5 issue ???????????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, she has a 2.5, but I assume the problem would occur in the 3.5 as well. Also, I meant to say that the fuel was freezing in the actual tank, not in the lines.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well, we've had one of the coldest and nastyist winters imaginable here in the north-east. No problems at all with starting here....

Fuel won't freeze in the tank.

Good luck getting it resolved.

Take it back to the dealer.......

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in eastern Canada and it has a been a cold ass winter here......but no problems with my 2.5S!! :)

Fuel freezing in the tank???? Never heard of that one!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've heard of that before, fuel freezing in the lines. They'll probably give you an additive to put in the fuel to keep it from freezing. It maybe where your purchasing your fuel also. I'd change where you buy the gas too. Maybe put 89 or 92, 93 octane for cold periods.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
hahaha.....sux for you people that live in the cold...one reason i love cali! My car seems to always start in the cold temperature that is 53 degrees, lol. I wouldn't put up with that B.S. if i were you. I'd have them take the car back and refund you all the expenses, etc. Then, I'd get a new maxima or 3.5 alty:D. If necessary, I would involve lawyers and lawsuits. GOod luck.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Sorry to hear your gf's problems! So far I only had one problem with my car and it was done under warranty and hasn't had any problems since. Perhaps the extreme cold weather does wonders to her car - that really sucks. I would definitely consider getting rid of the problem whether it's the car or something else.

·
Disproportionate Member
716 Posts
Hey bro, *really* sorry to hear about your gf's problems. I hope it gets rectified.

I do have a couple of questions for you mechanical and or chemical engineers. Gasoline isn't supposed to freeze is it? Unless it's got water in it... Just a thought.

·
Registered
291 Posts
mine wouldn't start either for a couple days (temp was below freezing) finally put in a a little dry gas, and jumped it (cause I drained the batter over the past couple days for trying to start it), called the local nissan dealer, he told me to push the gas half way, and crank it at least 15 sec's, and finally she started, he also told me not to start/stop it for short periods of time, as in, whenever I start it, use it enough to get up to normal operating temps. dam NE weather...

·
Registered
91 Posts
same thing

Mine did the same thing this morning has happened 4 times to me. Due to water in the fuel lines, I guess its not really a nissan problem. Not much they can do to control the weather.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Fuel lines can very easily freeze. There are many ways of getting moisture in your tank, most of the time it comes from your fillup and you'll never know. General rule of thumb, when it's cold out keep your tank 1/4 or 1/2 or above, not below since the less gas you have, the higher the ratio of water to fuel. Dry gas works but it's not recommended for our engine. Drastic changes in temperatures generally bring out the water problem.

The other thing, don't start the car and let it run a few seconds and shut it off. My girl did that to mine to get it out of the way in the driveway and it took for ever to start. Finally it started with the advice of the nissan tech, floor the accelerator and crank the key 30 seconds at a time giving it a 30 sec rest in between. If finally started a blew out some nasty smelling exhaust. It also ran like dirt for about 5 minutes until it warmed up. Since then I've never had a problem.

BTW, freezing gas lines, carbon lock, they are not isolated to Nissan or Altimas, every car is capable of this behavior. What SentraSR20 is talking about seems to be something else though since this has happened for the last year or more. It sound's like it had this behavior even when it was warm???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your thoughts. Shw always fills her car up with 93, and yes, this has happened once during warm weather, but the other times it was always very cold out. I had read about some other people whose altimas just stalled while they were on the highway (always a cold day, with less than half a tank) . They took their cars to nissan, couldnt reproduce the problem, and were left scratching their heads. even the mechanic agreed that although the tank was low, this should not be happening. I just find it funny that Nissan admitted to altimas in the NE having this problem, yet have not rectified it yet. She is still waiting for a call from the local dealer with this new "product" which more likely than not, is dry gas.

·
Future Z Driver
800 Posts
I live in Boston and haven't had any cold-start problems, even on very cold days (<5 degrees F). I wonder if it is a 2.5 issue.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
Tell her not to run 93 octane in the 2.5. Higher octanes are formulated not to ignite untill higher pressures/temperatures are reached, this could actually contribute to her problem. The owners manual says to run 87 octane in the 2.5 engine, anything higher is a waste of money.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
umm, no johnmann, there is a performance increase in using mid 89(mid grade in california). 89 and 91 have the same increase in performance for my car. I'm sure different cars vary, but your statement of it being a waste of money is not completely valid.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts