The Nissan Club banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,236 Posts
Maybe I miscommunicated a bit...…..The transmission sucks ass...all the way around. If you drive like a 95 year old woman, you might extend the life. The transmission will not hold up with spirited driving- and abusive driving....I doubt it would last at all. I do not push mine at all for this reason. I miss my 4A in my O2SE. Sadly, the CVT is the only option....and now that the VQ is eliminated from the Altima equation......I see no reason to overlook the CVT...….they can keep the Altima...….with its 4 bangers

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
While I agree with most of that one has to look only at the day's news to realize there is more than just Ghozn going on.

The 40% is a whopping common denominator there. Truth is not truth is now the rule of the day, the ones who dog everything and then tell you they never did it at all. Lying is now a good thing, you that do it are so in for a world of (self) hurt.

When the transmissions are disassembled to rebuild them to give back to the same people, the repair guys can easily tell who was lying there.

When it comes to three of anything, one is not smart unless they look at other common denominators and driver being the first.

EVERYBODY has trans issues now, part of that is rule of McDonald's, the rest is also the same thing, just on the user side instead. There are millions of users out there now that could tear up a tricycle. When I did parts a little while back one thing that floored me was the number of incompetents that had no idea you had to check oil or trans fluid at least once every 10 years. They drove up in knocking, clanking cars and zero oil or trans fluid on dipsticks and then they got super defensive like it wasn't their fault. IF you could tear them away from the phone screen long enough to get two words in. Look at all the posts that first report BLACK trans fluid, that takes YEARS to happen, you rarely see any posts on clean fluid.

I hate the OEMs too but they are not stupid, they see the way of the world now and going more against the customer has been the way for several years now. If you have alert intelligent customers, corporations like that die quickly, you see they are thriving, what does that say about the average person?

Nothing good. At all.

A general population that devolves as this one seems to be doing shouldn't be surprised to see its institutions doing the same thing. In that, corporations and Washington are the same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s exactly how u handle it!!! U sue their butts off. Nissan has been pawning off these junk transmissions on the public and causing headaches for families all over the world with this. More need to stand up and fight back!!
Just for follow up.
Took car to local dealer as per the "Goodwill Offer". The dealer has had it for 3 weeks and cannot "replicate" the stall = no Goodwill Offer. They acknowledge a "stumble" but that's it. Not sure how this will play out but I guess I should retrieve my vehicle and drive it until it stalls out again. The class action lawsuit still appears to be in a preliminary agreement status. I will continue to update here. Not sure if this is the best forum for my stuff ...but people need to know these cars, and there CVT transmissions are NOT RELIABLE!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just for follow up.
Took car to local dealer as per the "Goodwill Offer". The dealer has had it for 3 weeks and cannot "replicate" the stall = no Goodwill Offer. They acknowledge a "stumble" but that's it. Not sure how this will play out but I guess I should retrieve my vehicle and drive it until it stalls out again. The class action lawsuit still appears to be in a preliminary agreement status. I will continue to update here. Not sure if this is the best forum for my stuff ...but people need to know these cars, and there CVT transmissions are NOT RELIABLE!!!!!
So sorry u r going thru this. Have u tried small claims court? There is overwhelming info online to support your case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So sorry u r going thru this. Have u tried small claims court? There is overwhelming info online to support your case.

What irritates me is this supposed settlement from June 2019, that specifically applies to my year, model, and current CVT issue...yet no one knows when this will officially get settled - read court certifies the agreement. PITA!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with this...this tranny was not meant to handle abuse....sad..cause the motor is
So guys my I am looking to get my son his first car. He really likes the 10-12 Altimas. My question is should I even consider one of these cars with the CVT issues that they have? They are great looking cars and reasonably priced but I’m a little nervous. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
So guys my I am looking to get my son his first car. He really likes the 10-12 Altimas. My question is should I even consider one of these cars with the CVT issues that they have? They are great looking cars and reasonably priced but I’m a little nervous. Thoughts?
What a great question! Sure, I say go for it. Don't be nervous at all. 2010-2012 CVT are bullet proof.

What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m sensing sarcasm in your response. I’m about to tell him to look elsewhere. So sad that Nissan is having these issues. Used to be right there with Toyota and Honda with reliability. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So now I received a postcard with info. on my 2013 Altima tranny replacement. But I cannot file a claim because I did not pay to get tranny replaced. But still not clear if the will reimburse because of language in settlement paperwork and dealer repair sheet. Still trying to figure this stuff out. The timeframes they reference are rather restrictive....final court decision apparently not due until March 2020. I have my vehicle back from dealer and will be driving it... hoping it stalls so I can duplicate code or whatever to get tranny replacement covered. Still a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a great question! Sure, I say go for it. Don't be nervous at all. 2010-2012 CVT are bullet proof.

I

Hey Throckmorton, If It were you who posted an honest question on this forum because you needed help, would you appreciate someone replying to it with sarcasm, absolutely no answer to your question, and to top it off, criticizing you about the question you asked?? If not, stop replying/answering questions on this forum!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I

Hey Throckmorton, If It were you who posted an honest question on this forum because you needed help, would you appreciate someone replying to it with sarcasm, absolutely no answer to your question, and to top it off, criticizing you about the question you asked?? If not, stop replying/answering questions on this forum!!!!!!!
A guy poses a question in a thread where the person who started the thread has had the CVT replaced not once, not twice, but three times...asking "So guys my I am looking to get my son his first car. He really likes the 10-12 Altimas. My question is should I even consider one of these cars with the CVT issues that they have? They are great looking cars and reasonably priced but I’m a little nervous. Thoughts?"

He knows that Nissan has CVT problems, as he asks "My question is should I even consider one of these cars with the CVT issues that they have?"

See his final word/question "Thoughts?" That is the part of his question I was responding to. My "Thoughts." Not your thoughts, but my thoughts, as I can't answer for you.

If your feelings are so sensitive, maybe you should stay on Facebook or Twitter, where you can control who responds to your thoughts, feelings and emotions.

I am sorry that your can't recognize sarcasm when you see it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A guy poses a question in a thread where the person who started the thread has had the CVT replaced not once, not twice, but three times...asking "So guys my I am looking to get my son his first car. He really likes the 10-12 Altimas. My question is should I even consider one of these cars with the CVT issues that they have? They are great looking cars and reasonably priced but I’m a little nervous. Thoughts?"

He knows that Nissan has CVT problems, as he asks "My question is should I even consider one of these cars with the CVT issues that they have?"

See his final word/question "Thoughts?" That is the part of his question I was responding to. My "Thoughts." Not your thoughts, but my thoughts, as I can't answer for you.

If your feelings are so sensitive, maybe you should stay on Facebook or Twitter, where you can control who responds to your thoughts, feelings and emotions.

I am sorry that your can't recognize sarcasm when you see it.
Everyone recognizes your sarcasm!! But what I’m telling you is that your sarcasm is NOT welcome here!!!!! Btw my 2007 Altima currently has 450,000 km on it and has had only minor issues!! Like I’ve said to you earlier, leave this forum!!!!!!!!!!! Either get a different mirror or a different therapist!!!!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Everyone recognizes your sarcasm!! But what I’m telling you is that your sarcasm is NOT welcome here!!!!! Btw my 2007 Altima currently has 450,000 km on it and has had only minor issues!! Like I’ve said to you earlier, leave this forum!!!!!!!!!!! Either get a different mirror or a different therapist!!!!!
Isn't this the same 2007 Altima with 450,000 km / 279,617 miles that has a minor CVT issue, an issue that prevents it from shifting out of a low gear?

I guess that is a minor issue to some people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Isn't this the same 2007 Altima with 450,000 km / 279,617 miles that has a minor CVT issue, an issue that prevents it from shifting out of a low gear?

I guess that is a minor issue to some people.
Actually I just got a call from the Nissan dealership mechanic. He said that it’s a speed sensor. So I’m on my way to the scrapyard right now!! $10 fix!! I believe that you told me that I would need to replace my transmission!! But also criticized me and belittled me in the process!!! You don’t know shit!!!

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,236 Posts
I hope I am wrong....but, after dealing with Nissan Mechanics dating all the way back to my 1989 240 SX, I have very little faith in anything that comes out of their mouths. I do hope it is your speed sensor. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The issue with the transmission is on the 2013-2016 models for the most part. I have a 2012 with 190k with no issues with the tranny at all. I have a 2014 that has had the tranny reprogrammed 4 times and what I have noticed with it is they are making the tranny shift gears out of the 1800-2200 rpm range as soon as it can so that I don't get a hum that cause a vibrating noise and can feel it in the seat of my pants. They replaced exhaust hangers which might have made noise at right frequency, changed the electric power steering module and the alternator in trying to kill the vibration I found using my racing skills to detect in the seat while driving. They tell me nothing is wrong but yet I just received a class action lawsuit against nissan but it only extends the warranty for 24 months or 24k (I drive 25k a year). If you paid for repairs you can get compensation. Feb 7, 2020 is final date to make a decision on staying in or opting out to be able to sue on your own. Counsel and legal fees of 5.9 mil and reimbursements of $5k max.per replaced tranny. Waiting to talk to my local service adviser out on vacation this week and see if I can get him to change it out and then claim the voucher even though mine doesn't have the shudder/jutter that most are being replaced for. Tranny functions fine other than vibration. Just annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is currently a class action lawsuit against nissan. They are paying $5k for anyone that has had to replace their transmission. The lawyer fees are 5.9mil so they are trying to limit their exposure. For any that have not had issues, they are extending the warranty for 24 months or 24k (I drive 25k yr). My 2014 has had 4 re-programs and all it did was make the tranny move away from 1800-2200 rpm very very quickly so it wouldn't vibrate and make noise. I currently have 136k and still running. I don't have the shudder/jutter issue that most are having that cause replacement. They replaced electric power steering pump, alternator and exhaust hangers all in the attempt to quiet the noise I was complaining about. Visit www.altimacvtsettlement.com for info on the current settlement offering. Feb 7, 2020 is last date to do something before you are locked into whatever the settlement ends up taking shape as. They will be getting off cheap with using the settlement just as Juul is doing with the vaping issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with another poster to go for it, 2010-2012 have different ones and are pretty bullet proof, I have 189k on my 2012 no issues. My 2014 has been reprogrammed 4 times and all that did was speed the car out of the range of 1800-2200rpm which caused a vibration. Mine doesn't have the shutter/jutter that most have when the tranny is truely failing. Good luck, love the feel of 2010-2012 vs the 2014 which is narrower in the windshield area and feels like a corolla vs the 2012 that feels like a bmw to me for comfort and feel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2010-2012 have CVT transmission but a different version (I have 189k on my 2012 with no issues), which doesn't seem to have the issues of the 2013-2016 that is part of the class action lawsuit which is live at www.altimaCVTsettlement.com and you have until feb 7, 2020 to opt out of their extended warranty period of 24 months or 24k (I drive 25K yr so no help there). Also $5k reimbursement if you have had to make repairs. See my other comments for other details.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts