The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gathering info for my first system again.

I am planning on getting 2 Infinity Kappa 120.3DVCs. I have had alot of people say infinity is great and i hear they are SQ good for rock music and im getting a good price on em from MrJigglyfly.

My question is: whats a good amp for running these subs? I suppose a 1 ohm amp that puts out 600 RMS is best. I was planning on getting a Kenwood KAC-8101D amp. the kenwood site says they are 1 ohm stable but ive never seen any power ratings at 1 ohm.
Theres a catch however. Price needs to stay close to $200 shipped.

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whats the ohm's for each side of the DVC? If your using one amp if might become a problem depending on how you wire them together

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
no such thing as a sub thats "good" for specific types of music. your box determines that. find an amp that does the power you need @ 1 ohm. yes, MANY amps do their most power at 1 ohm.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from what ive been told a class D mono is the best amp for subs because they draw less from the cars electrical system for the same amount of power a class A/B (most 2 ch amps?) produces.

Anywho... which would you choose:
KAC-8101D or Hifonics NX750D to power the kappas?
or anything else similar...

·
Audi Driver
1,864 Posts
beware, 8101d is NOT 1 ohm stable. i had one, and it kept shutting down due to overheating. it is a great amp though, 400 watts @ 2 ohms. i would choose the hifonics. hell, look at hifonics brutus bx500d. 500 watts at 1 ohm. very good amps for the price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the easiest way to mess up subs is to underpower them. And the good thing about infinity subs is that they can run at very low wattages very welll, and can also handle over their RMS. Find your balance and i wish you the best!

·
Registered
692 Posts
clipping is when the sub is re cieve square square waves instead of smoothe ones. imagine a sine wave, and then cut the top off of each apex and connect it back together with a straight line. basically tears the sub apart.

at least thats my understanding of it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
clipping occurs when the gain on the amp is not set to match the output voltage on the deck. Clipping is something that happens to the amplifier not the sub. when an amp clips it can send much higher power to the speaker than it was designed for.... if the sub can handle the extra power that the amp puts out when clipped it will be fine.

As was previously said set the gains correctly and you don't have to worry.....

I am a big believer in class D and T amps for subs, but IMO most people don't need as much power to their subs as they end up using.... build the correct box and you generally don't need a ton of power.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rthompson brings a good point, it is important to set your amps and what not correctly, otherwise you can cause damage, or poor performance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts