The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a notice from Suarez v. Nissan Settlement Administrator today so I'm officially a class member.

According to text on the website, I'll get my headlight housings replaced for free by a Nissan stealership next year
for those whose cars are already beyond the extended warranty period of six years - I'll have eight years by then.
This is a one time deal for those outside of the extended warranty period that must be completed within six months of the settlement date.

Not sure if there needs to be proof that delamination of the reflective surfaces has occurred or not. My headlight beams
are definitely dimmer than when I first got the car new in Feb 2014. Can barely see the road when it's raining and the roads are wet and it's dark.

The settlement administrator is supposed to be mailing out a post card with instructions in January with details of
how to get the headlight housings for free. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I might not want to wait for the replacement assemblies from the stealership. The headlights in my car are dimmer than I thought. I drove my Mom's 2003 Camry on Thanksgiving and was surprised by how much brighter the headlights were with her nearly 19 year old car compared to my 14 Altima.

· Registered
2,825 Posts
I might not want to wait for the replacement assemblies from the stealership. The headlights in my car are dimmer than I thought. I drove my Mom's 2003 Camry on Thanksgiving and was surprised by how much brighter the headlights were with her nearly 19 year old car compared to my 14 Altima.
You are free, at any time, to spend your money so you will not have to wait.

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will need to wait if I want them for free - Nissan is probably going to agree to the settlement. NHTSA already has a few hundred complaints about these dim headlights and this is definitely a safety issue that should've been addressed earlier (some 2013s will soon be 10 years old!!!). And the headlights are mainly an issue when the roads are wet. They're adequate (barely) otherwise.

Yes, I admit it. I'm a cheapskate That's why I bought a Nissan Altima. Got it $4000 less than what Camry and Accord stealerships had wanted when I bought it brand new. And sure, the residual value of my Altima is s*** compared to those two but that doesn't bother me. I intend to keep this heap until it dies (hopefully not for at least three more years).

· Registered
18 Posts
NO is the answer for Canadians.

"You are a Class Member and part of the Settlement if you are a resident of the United States or its territories, including Puerto Rico, and you purchased or leased a 2013-2018 Nissan Altima manufactured with halogen headlamps."

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Two news sources indicate that the judge approved the settlement terms. CarComplaints.com and a website called Law360 reported this on Dec 21. Now I'll have to see what hoops Nissan is going to make us jump through to get the replacements free of charge. Nissan claimed there is nothing defective about the headlight assemblies and denies all allegations of wrongdoing.

Rectangle Font Parallel Triangle Screenshot

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I filed my outside of warranty claim with the law firm online today. Replacement headlight assemblies are supposed to be available at Nissan stealerships starting March 27, 2022.
The dealership is supposed to make the determination if the headlights are dim due to delamination. All they can do is say no, mine aren't delaminated and if they do then I will go ahead and get replacements on my own. The lights are very dim and it's nearly impossible to drive when the roads are wet between sunset and sunrise. Two more months of waiting if not more to go. The latest date to get the free replacements is Sept 23, 2022

Grey Font Monochrome photography Monochrome Circle

Rectangle Font Parallel Logo Number

Font Rectangle Logo Brand Electric blue

Rectangle Violet Font Magenta Logo

· Registered
3 Posts
Feb 18, 2022: I took my 2016 Altima to the dealership for recall on headlights. They informed me my headlights passed their test based on "the bulletin." Basically, they said my headlights are fine based on the criteria Nissan set. They don't qualify for a replacement. They don't have to drive at night with them! The service manager at dealership said the extended warranty runs out next month-(don't understand that timeline). Does anyone know of any other steps to take?

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Feb 18, 2022: I took my 2016 Altima to the dealership for recall on headlights. They informed me my headlights passed their test based on "the bulletin." Basically, they said my headlights are fine based on the criteria Nissan set. They don't qualify for a replacement. They don't have to drive at night with them! The service manager at dealership said the extended warranty runs out next month-(don't understand that timeline). Does anyone know of any other steps to take?
Not a recall, a lawsuit settlement. If it had been a recall, the stealership would've had no say in the matter except to replace the assemblies. I doubt you have any recourse now SaintGermain.

I fear that the same is going to happen with my headlight assemblies as it's unclear how they determine delamination has occurred or not. Still worth the effort to try and get them replaced gratis. I'm prepared to buy and install replacements myself in the spring if/when I'm turned down.

· Registered
1 Posts
Give Nissan Corporate a call. Their number is 800.647.7261. Tell them that you want to have your headlights fixed per the recall. They will ask for your VIN number, so prepare to have it on hand. Once they have the VIN they will tell you if your vehicle qualifies for the headlight replacement. Upon them giving you authorization, you can in turn have corporate call the Nissan service center you plan to take your car to. They then will tell the dealership to begin the process of replacing your headlights. The service center will run a test to see if your lights are defective. If the test shows that they are, then they’ll replace them.
In order for this to happen, I believe you already have to have submitted a claim on www.altimaheadlightsettlement.com. Those who were out of the warranty period had to go to the site and submit a claim no later than 65 days after the effective date of the settlement, which was January 20, 2022. Upon submitting the claim you have until September 23rd to get the headlights replaced. My dealership was stringing me along and saying that corporate had not given them no any updates, so they kept telling me to call back the next week. I then called corporate, corporate called my local service center. and I finally got them to test my lights. The test resulted in them being dim so they’re ordering new headlights for me now. I hope this helps.

· Registered
24 Posts
Give Nissan Corporate a call. Their number is 800.647.7261. Tell them that you want to have your headlights fixed per the recall. They will ask for your VIN number, so prepare to have it on hand. Once they have the VIN they will tell you if your vehicle qualifies for the headlight replacement. Upon them giving you authorization, you can in turn have corporate call the Nissan service center you plan to take your car to. They then will tell the dealership to begin the process of replacing your headlights. The service center will run a test to see if your lights are defective. If the test shows that they are, then they’ll replace them.
In order for this to happen, I believe you already have to have submitted a claim on www.altimaheadlightsettlement.com. Those who were out of the warranty period had to go to the site and submit a claim no later than 65 days after the effective date of the settlement, which was January 20, 2022. Upon submitting the claim you have until September 23rd to get the headlights replaced. My dealership was stringing me along and saying that corporate had not given them no any updates, so they kept telling me to call back the next week. I then called corporate, corporate called my local service center. and I finally got them to test my lights. The test resulted in them being dim so they’re ordering new headlights for me now. I hope this helps.
Same process with me. It took dealer about 90 minutes to test and collect data to submit to Nissan if headlights fail. I am now waiting for parts to come in. I (and dealer) just do not know when.

· Registered
1 Posts
Two news sources indicate that the judge approved the settlement terms. CarComplaints.com and a website called Law360 reported this on Dec 21. Now I'll have to see what hoops Nissan is going to make us jump through to get the replacements free of charge. Nissan claimed there is nothing defective about the headlight assemblies and denies all allegations of wrongdoing.

View attachment 102718
I took my 2014 Altima to dealer yesterday to see if it was approved for replacement ( a flashlight is brighter than my headlights) they told me I wasn’t approved because it wasn’t halogen. How can they tell it was halogen when my headlight bulbs have been changed multiple times for me to try to be able to see. I just don’t get it. I can’t even drive it at night, I have used my bright lights for the past year and it has started burning the cover so it’s getting to where you can’t even see on bright. I will never buy another Nissan which is all I have ever owned they do not stand behind there vehicles. Guess I’ll go buy me a Toyota Camry instead!!

· Registered
24 Posts
I took my 2014 Altima to dealer yesterday to see if it was approved for replacement ( a flashlight is brighter than my headlights) they told me I wasn’t approved because it wasn’t halogen. How can they tell it was halogen when my headlight bulbs have been changed multiple times for me to try to be able to see. I just don’t get it. I can’t even drive it at night, I have used my bright lights for the past year and it has started burning the cover so it’s getting to where you can’t even see on bright. I will never buy another Nissan which is all I have ever owned they do not stand behind there vehicles. Guess I’ll go buy me a Toyota Camry instead!!
Sorry for your situation. If you have filed the headlights settlement claim, maybe you can try another dealer, good luck.

· Registered
18 Posts
As I understand it, some 2014 Altima models were not manufactured with halogen headlights. So, if that's the case, the dealer would only need to check the VIN#. Did you actually get a notice from Nissan?

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some Altimas, mainly the more option loaded models, did not have halogens.
Here's the list of those that didn't from the altimasettlementheadlight.com web site.
So if you don't have a 3.5L SL, you need to go to another stealership because your car at least qualifies to get tested/

Font Circle Number Parallel Document

· Registered
1 Posts
I never recieved a notice from nissan about the recall. The only way I found out about it was I was searching the web to find out if anyone was having trouble with their low beam lights on a 2013 nissan altima I then called only to be told I missed the deadline for out of warranty one time repair. I am so disgusted with nissan. How was I suppose to know, if I was not notified? Only 65 days to repair something they caused. I can barely see at night with my low beam lights. They look like park lights. I feel like this is so unfair

· Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never recieved a notice from nissan about the recall. The only way I found out about it was I was searching the web to find out if anyone was having trouble with their low beam lights on a 2013 nissan altima I then called only to be told I missed the deadline for out of warranty one time repair. I am so disgusted with nissan. How was I suppose to know, if I was not notified? Only 65 days to repair something they caused. I can barely see at night with my low beam lights. They look like park lights. I feel like this is so unfair
There is still a chance that Nissan will be forced to recall the headlight assemblies. Nissan stealerships have been claiming that most of the assemblies they've been checking do not have the delamination issue based on the totally subjective test that was unfortunately agreed to by the attorneys representing the original three plaintiffs. So don't give up hope yet but you do have options to replace the assemblies relatively inexpensively. I bought both assemblies from Rock Auto for only $100 delivered. The 2013 - 2015 assemblies are plentiful and cheap. Not so for the 2016 - 2018 assemblies. My Nissan stealership supposedly special ordered free assemblies produced with countermeasures for my 2014. I'll probably be waiting until Hell freezes over or until September at which time I will install the assemblies I purchased and install LED bulbs in them even though it's illegal. Blinded by the light.....Revved up like a deuce.....Another runner in the night.

· Registered
2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. K&N cold air intake. Stillen underdrive pulley. Stillen cat back system.
77 Posts
Right before I got the notice a out the headlights from Nissan I had just purchased a set of assemblies from rock auto. TYC brand. I went ahead and filled out their reimbursement form and attached reciepts along with it. I've still yet to hear back. Looks like I'll have to give that number someone posted a call today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts