The Nissan Club banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not a recall, a lawsuit settlement. If it had been a recall, the stealership would've had no say in the matter except to replace the assemblies. I doubt you have any recourse now SaintGermain.

I fear that the same is going to happen with my headlight assemblies as it's unclear how they determine delamination has occurred or not. Still worth the effort to try and get them replaced gratis. I'm prepared to buy and install replacements myself in the spring if/when I'm turned down.
That’s bullshit they test them for there so called recall to and if they pass your screwed!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is still a chance that Nissan will be forced to recall the headlight assemblies. Nissan stealerships have been claiming that most of the assemblies they've been checking do not have the delamination issue based on the totally subjective test that was unfortunately agreed to by the attorneys representing the original three plaintiffs. So don't give up hope yet but you do have options to replace the assemblies relatively inexpensively. I bought both assemblies from Rock Auto for only $100 delivered. The 2013 - 2015 assemblies are plentiful and cheap. Not so for the 2016 - 2018 assemblies. My Nissan stealership supposedly special ordered free assemblies produced with countermeasures for my 2014. I'll probably be waiting until Hell freezes over or until September at which time I will install the assemblies I purchased and install LED bulbs in them even though it's illegal. Blinded by the light.....Revved up like a deuce.....Another runner in the night.
I never received anything as well for my 2013 Altima. I need to take it to dealer now to get repair completed so I can see at night. It’s EXTREMELY UNSAFE to drive. Does the dealer still need to replace now?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I never received anything as well for my 2013 Altima. I need to take it to dealer now to get repair completed so I can see at night. It’s EXTREMELY UNSAFE to drive. Does the dealer still need to replace now?
I'm afraid you're s.o.o.l. If you never submitted a claim for the lawsuit settlement, you must replace your headlight assemblies on your own dime. Nissan received 109,077 claims for free replacement or reimbursement as was explained in the three sentences below from NHTSA bulletin 'Halogen Headlamp Voluntary Service Campaign Reference: PC861/PC890 Date: September 16, 2022.' This population was less than 10% of Altimas with dim headlights.

'Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign (VSC) on ~109,077 specific model year 2013-2018 Nissan Altima vehicles with halogen headlamps dimming due to delamination to support the settlement approved by the court presiding over the class action lawsuit. Customers that have obtained approval by the Settlement Administrator are included in this VSC. Dealers will inspect for delamination and, if necessary, replace both the right and left Halogen Headlamp.'

It will be much cheaper for you to buy aftermarket assemblies like the Dorman that I got and install them yourself as Nissan will charge you an arm, a leg, and a lung to replace them in comparison. It's really not that hard to do. I'm 64 and have arthritis and still managed to do this on my own.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's how the cookie crumbles for you.

I'm still waiting for my free assemblies and now it appears my stealership did not follow through with what it was supposed to do so I have to go there in person to get this started again. I need to bring the NHTSA bulletins with me to get this resolved. It might not be worth the effort anymore.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts