The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
*Honorary Member* the dream!!!
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the gtp has more horses under the hood but it's also heavier then the altima 3.5se. has anyone tried a comparison? I think the gtp is the closest one in the midsized sedan to the altima because none of the japanese v6 will keep up. I wanna know if I could beat my friend's gtp and I don't like to lose so I want to know if I could beat him right now or if I should wait to get the supercharger and then beat him.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You should wait! I have raced one in my '02 5speed SE and he smoked me. I really had a bad start though, but when we were up and running, he was still pulling away slowly. He may have also done some mods. This wasn't a stop light race either.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I was wrong about the horses, they have 240 horses too but they have more torque at 280 but they have a 3.8l which will weigh it down but I havn't done anything to my car and I know he hasn't, I like his interrior better then mine though but I guess there's only one way to find out if I could beat him or not, I think I can because his is an auto trans but I'll let you know the results.

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
0-60 times on a GTP are pretty consistently 6.6 sec. Don't know about the 1/4 mile, but with a 5-spd the Alty should be quicker there too. I took a regular GT no problem during a test drive in an auto SE.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the altima se 0-60 was 5.9 right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Altima V6 is faster than the GTP stock. BUT- The GTP is supercharged, and therefore very easy to mod with a smaller pully or chip/programing that increase boost and greatly increase HP. I don't think its that difficult to get one to run mid-13s.... I think someone on my home corvetteforum has a Buick Regal GS Supercharged (same drivetrain) that runs mid-13s in a Auto with just bolt-ons.

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty certain that the gtp I'm about to go against is barebone stock. he can't afford to do anything to it but I can but there's nothing for the altima yet which pisses me off but that's the consiquences of buying a brand new car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
02alty driver said:
I know that the gtp has more horses under the hood but it's also heavier then the altima 3.5se. has anyone tried a comparison? I think the gtp is the closest one in the midsized sedan to the altima because none of the japanese v6 will keep up. I wanna know if I could beat my friend's gtp and I don't like to lose so I want to know if I could beat him right now or if I should wait to get the supercharger and then beat him.
On www.stillen.com, the supercharger for the 2000 Maxima is 4300$, not including installation.

Would you be willing to put 5000$ on your car, probably void the warranty (if not, you'll have to argue every time you get service).

Take the price of the altima 3.5se, add 5000$, and see what kind of car (stock) you would get for that price.

·
10,373 Posts
yeah, a dealership near me is setting up "stages" with stillen to add stuff to the car from factory that won't void warranty. He said stage 3 woudl be an s/c BUT that would void the warranty. Youwould have to sign papers and stuff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, looking at Pontiac's own website and comparing the GTP in base to the Alty SE base, the GTP starts $3,500 higher, although auto rearview mirror, traction control, and ABS is standard. The GTP is not available with a 5speed, and the auto is 300 lbs heavier than an auto Alty. Both are listed at [email protected] for the GTP and at 5800 for the Alty. Interesting is the torque....246 @4400 for the Alty....280 @3600 for the GTP. The GTP is 5" longer, 2" wider, and 3" shorter but oddly for the interior, the Alty is has more room in every area except for front and rear shoulder room.

To me I guess it would be an interesting race, at least auto to auto. But I have never cared for Pontiac's spaceship looks(Aztec?..lol), and they don't have the resale and reliability that the Alty does. The Alty has the more advanced engine that doesn't require the supercharger add-on that Pontiac's OHV engine requires to make it's hp. The GTP doesn't offer BOSE stereo or 17" wheels either. Last but not least, just the letters GTP means higher insurance for the Pontiac....and I should know, my 97 Probe GT costs me more to insure than my 02 Alty SE....just because it says "GT" on it!

Kevin

·
Registered
180 Posts
GTP vs SHO

My SHO runs 15 second quarter miles, and 6.6 to 60. I have raced numerous GTP's from a stop I beat them by up to 3 car lenghts to 60. On a roll we are neck to neck up to about 90 At which point I start to pull away. If the Altima can rerally cut a 6.3 to 60 it will kill any stock GTP.
I will be very disapointed if my new Altima is slower than the Sho I am now selling !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aw yes...the SHO. Another car besides the GTP that you can compare to the 02 Alty SE.... but the SHO has to use a V8 to get its HP....and with the ugly Taurus body. The V8 in the SHO is an interesting engine, too bad Ford couldn't make it work without Yamaha's help, and it wasn't available with a 5speed, not to mention they were kinda up there in price. Another problem with the SHO is that they were made in such low numbers, and the engine wasn't put into anything else, so parts are kinda hard to come by. Awhile back I visited the SHO board and there was growing concern about a fair amount of the V8s crashing because of a sprocket working its way loose off a camshaft. My neighbor was a big fan of the SHO, and didn't believe my new ALty was just as fast if not faster until I took him for a ride....but then again he thought the SHO was RWD too...lol

Kevin

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I DID IT!!!

well last night after I got off work, I went to a pontiac dealer and got into a gtp and drove it around the block seeing how it felt and it was then when I was 99% sure that I would beat the gtp, so I went over to my friend's place, and he's waiting for me in the car ready to go. we take our little quarrel to a little 1/2 mile strip which has no houses on it and we get all set up with about 20 other people just watching to see if the none supercharged engine can really beat a supercharged engine, I must say his car sounds a little throatier then mine, he say's I have a manual so he had a disadvantage so I said ok fine I'll start in 2nd. so we get in our cars and go I put some serious rubber on the ground(stock h rated tires are too soft) while in second and he gets a little ahead of me at first cuz I was in second and in about 2 seconds I zoomed by him doing about 45 and by the time I started breaking he had alreay givin up and then he says that he thought I lost because I had a slow start and he didn't even floor it, so I say ok, let me start in first and it'll be more even and he says I'll still beat you off the line. so I get back to the start point and as I took off to about 40 in first he was maybe doing 30, all that torque still won't get his heavy ass car to move. I got me a good laugh!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
SHO

The V8 sho engine is not Yamaha design only the V6 3.0 litre was, my ShO was the early variety 5 speed, faster than the V8 models. I agree on the later body style, its brutally ugly.

kvou812 said:
Aw yes...the SHO. Another car besides the GTP that you can compare to the 02 Alty SE.... but the SHO has to use a V8 to get its HP....and with the ugly Taurus body. The V8 in the SHO is an interesting engine, too bad Ford couldn't make it work without Yamaha's help, and it wasn't available with a 5speed, not to mention they were kinda up there in price. Another problem with the SHO is that they were made in such low numbers, and the engine wasn't put into anything else, so parts are kinda hard to come by. Awhile back I visited the SHO board and there was growing concern about a fair amount of the V8s crashing because of a sprocket working its way loose off a camshaft. My neighbor was a big fan of the SHO, and didn't believe my new ALty was just as fast if not faster until I took him for a ride....but then again he thought the SHO was RWD too...lol

Kevin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: I DID IT!!!

02alty driver said:
well last night after I got off work, I went to a pontiac dealer and got into a gtp and drove it around the block seeing how it felt and it was then when I was 99% sure that I would beat the gtp, so I went over to my friend's place, and he's waiting for me in the car ready to go. we take our little quarrel to a little 1/2 mile strip which has no houses on it and we get all set up with about 20 other people just watching to see if the none supercharged engine can really beat a supercharged engine, I must say his car sounds a little throatier then mine, he say's I have a manual so he had a disadvantage so I said ok fine I'll start in 2nd. so we get in our cars and go I put some serious rubber on the ground(stock h rated tires are too soft) while in second and he gets a little ahead of me at first cuz I was in second and in about 2 seconds I zoomed by him doing about 45 and by the time I started breaking he had alreay givin up and then he says that he thought I lost because I had a slow start and he didn't even floor it, so I say ok, let me start in first and it'll be more even and he says I'll still beat you off the line. so I get back to the start point and as I took off to about 40 in first he was maybe doing 30, all that torque still won't get his heavy ass car to move. I got me a good laugh!!!
Nice job way to take care of that GTP. I knew you would take care of him. A modded GTP probably a little different but nice job.

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
Congrats on your kill. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, as a former GTP owner I thought I'd fill in some of the info about the GTP.......

Check out Clubgp.com . There are LOTS of them running mid 13's with simple bolt on's:

Smaller pulley=$80
K&N filter=$40
Repro PCM=$250
High flow CAT=$300
Rocker arms=$300
AFPR=$160

There are also now a growing number of them running 12's as well (12.6-12.7) with no internal work done or no NOS. The fastest NOS assisted one I know of ran 12.2!

The GTP's DO have the BOSE stereo as an option.

My SHO runs 15 second quarter miles, and 6.6 to 60. I have raced numerous GTP's from a stop I beat them by up to 3 car lenghts to 60.
Then they drove with their eyes closed. I also had an 89 SHO. A bone stock GTP will run low to mid 14's every time. There is no way a stock SHO would win.

One nice feature it has is the heads up display. It comes in handy when your driving at ...(cough) higher (cough) speeds and you don't have to look down to see how much jail time you are building up.

Watch out, a mildly modded GTP can be a fast car. I really liked mine alot (however not as much as the C5 Corvette I traded it in for! )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: I DID IT!!!

02alty driver said:

Interesting, so you guys had your speedometer linked up so that you could see that he was doing 30, while you were going 40, and therefore you won. If you went to a half mile strip, why would you run a 3 second (literally), one gear race? :confused: I love your cars...and they are certainly great performers..:)..but this sounds a bit funny. Not trying to stir anything up or call BS, I would say this same thing if it was a GTP beating an Altima over on our boards, and it was described like this.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
luv2race said:
The GTP weighs almost 4,000 pounds, you should have no problem taking him.
This kind of data is pretty easy to find - at least look it up before you post misinformation. A 4dr auto GTP wieghs 3559 vs 3227 for the Altima. Definitely porkier than the Altima, but hardly "almost 4,000 lbs".

Having previously owned an '89 SHO, currently own an '01 Regal GS (twin under-the-skin to the GTP), and looked at the Altima when I bought the Regal last month, here's my take on the whole issue. A 5 spd Altima is gonna beat a stock GTP, a stock GTP is about the same as the V6 5spd SHOs. As has already been pointed out, it takes very minor mods to get a GTP in the 13s. There isn't much of an aftermarket for the Altima yet, but (as someone posted) the naturally aspirated Altima is not likely to respond as well to mods as the GTP. SHOs don't seem to respond particularly well to mods.

For what it's worth, Car & Driver did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 15.1 in a '97 Regal GS (13/97 issue). A 5sp SHO did 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 15.1 (12/88 issue). An automatic SHO did 0-60 in 7.6 and the 1/4 mile in 15.7 (10/92 issue).

1 - 20 of 137 Posts