The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was polishing the exhaust tips the other day and I noticed that on the right side exhaust there was a ground wire. I've never seen a ground wire on a muffler before. Any ideas why Nissan might have used one?

·
1 large "member"
865 Posts
i noticed the same thing last thursday. i have no idea what that was and i was affraid to ask. anyone else know?

·
Registered
833 Posts
the reason that they ground the muffler is the same reason they use the static discharge points on jet aircraft.

Just remember if you unground your muffler it will sound different.

This is so that when you run the lights to your muffler you don't have to run a ground wire.

·
Ruler of all 7 Eleven's
1,358 Posts
e-squared said:

Just remember if you unground you muffler it will sound different.

yea...i just went and took the ground off and fire shot out of my tailpipe and it had a real deep exhaust note...and seemed to have a heavy lope to it so I put a Type R sticker on the can so that it would speed everything up.....

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Re: ground wire

Black Dragon said:
Possibly to eliminate static electric discharge, especially when filling up at the gas station?
I was thinking along the same lines. If there happens to be a spark and it ignites the gasses in the muffler, it might cause a crazy explosion. Adding the fact that the gas tank is pretty close, that'd be a spectacular fireworks show!
Jae

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!!

It's not a grounding wire, it's a tether!

Nissan got wind of all the quality complaints with the early units and decided to put a tether on the mufflers in case they just fall off!!!!! That way you won't lose them!

·
Parts & Service Manager
1,812 Posts
If you install the stillen mufflers it comes with new hardware to retain the ground wire. And you actually can gain horsepower by installing a main ground block for the car. I re-installed the wire on my stillen exhuast.Why wouldn't you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts