The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HIGHLY recommend everyone to get November's issue of Sport Compact Car, or at least go the magazine stand and read the article.

Here it is in a nutshell.......

Backpressure = Torque --> NOT TRUE
What you need is low backpressure and high velocity exhaust stream.

Muffler
What you want to get is a straight through with a preforated core, not louvered. Louvered cores create more backpressure. There's nothing obstructing the exhaust path in a preforated core muffler. Also the longer and bigger the muffler, the quieter your exhaust will be, and it won't hurt performance.

Piping Size
For our engine size, 2 1/4". Plus, go with mandrel bent tubing or don't even bother in the first place.

Catalytic Converter
On most modern cars today, the factory cat is quiet free flowing already. There may be no need to replace the factory cat with a high-flo cat.

If you want to know all the details and reasoning for the above, read the article.

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump... keeping post alive a little longer

·
180 Posts
Definitely a good idea but, probably not practical for the average joe (welding equipment, no lift, etc...)

This isn't even considering the numerous dyno tuning sessions to make sure that your custom exhaust sytem is making power, and/or making power where you want it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
atakm said:
This isn't even considering the numerous dyno tuning sessions to make sure that your custom exhaust sytem is making power, and/or making power where you want it.
I got confused reading your post. Can u explain? (pm me if u want)

Jay

·
180 Posts
you choose free-flow muffler, piping with mandrel bends, and diameter of piping

each of these factors have an effect on performance.
there may be a couple of mufflers to choose from, one offering best top-end performance, which another might be better for low-end

less bends would be better for exhaust flow, that is if you can accomodate for it under your car. Example would be angled exit apexi exhausts.

it's widely known that 2 1/4" piping is best for na cars, but that's very generalized. Our cars may/maynot yield different results, only dyno tuning will tell

Finally, what you are dealing with is theory(albeit with fair amount of success), you don't know the real story until you dyno the final creation.

What i'm trying to get at is: we have some exhausts available for our altimas, if you truly need a custom system, then you might as well go all out and make sure each part of the exhaust has performance in mind. But the cost adds up if you want it custom and tuned.

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The write up in Sport Compact is suppose to be for people with cars that have no exhausts made for them or want something else besides the current choices available, i.e. peeps like us, or me trying to trick out my dad's '91 V6 Camry that my sis is going to get.

I hear what you're saying about we would not have an idea what kind of performance gains there will be. But let's put it this way.... Something is better than nothing. I mean.... having 2 1/4" mandrel bent tubing following the same exhaust path as factory, with a straight through preforated core muffler is better that the factory's 2"(?) crush bent tubing with the stock muffler.

And again.... the guide is very helpful to those with cars that have no performance exhaust systems out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts