The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I see that a lot of people that comes on this site, are looking for black “JDM” headlight’s….well I for one was not paying $200 for something I could do on my own for $15

Install difficulty:: 2 out of 5
Estimated time needed to complete:: around 2 hours or so or 3 beer's lol

Tool’s Needed:
10mm socket
6” extension (I used two 3” and it worked better)
3/8 drive ratchet
Phillip’s head screwdriver #2 bit
Can of black paint
2 flat head screw drivers
sharp knife
an oven
a tube of caulk or silicone
a radio (optional)
6 pack of whatever you like (NOT optional)

total cost:: around $10 provided you have all the tool’s

first things first, you’ll have to remove your headlights, there are 4 screws on 2000-2001 Altima’s there is one on top of the headlight, two on the backside of the headlight and one in your fender well, the one on your fender well is going to be the hardest to get out, you have to remove your fender well lining there is one screw in them middle that you have to remove its just a clip holding it on with a screw thru it, you can actually feel the screw thru the fender on the inside of the engine bay, its inside of the white plastic outlined thing…

Step two:: once you have your headlight’s removed, there are 4 screw’s holding your headlight together, 2 on the side where the amber marker’s are, 1 behind your turning lamp (not the turn signal) and one at the top in the middle

Step three:: preheat your over to 200-350 degree’s (WARNING: if you preheat it to 350 the headlight WILL be hot) leave your headlight in for around 3 – 4 minute’s take a flat head screwdriver and pry apart the black plastic on the top of your headlight, start in the corner and work your way around, once the headlight gets cool to the touch, pop it back in the over for another 3-4 minute’s… there are two way’s you can separate the too, easy and muscle way, you can take two screwdriver’s and pry apart the headlight, sticking on in then the other and moving your way down, or get a corner of it loose and just pull like hell, while having someone else cut the tar…
If you didn’t remove one or more of your screw’s you’ll know its not THAT hard to pry apart but it is a pita.

Step four::to remove the chrome from the headlight lens, there is a screw at the top where the headlight is, remove it using your #2 phillips, be sure and wash the chrome piece's with dish detergant and dry them completly i was lazy and used a box fan to dry them

Step five:: if you would like to take your amber marker’s out now is your chance, I left mine in and used some transparent black (local hobby store) or VHT NiteShade (ebay) and painted them black as well.

Step six:: mask your turning lamp innards with masking tape or painter’s tape which ever you have lying around.

Step seven:: paint away, be sure and do light coat’s other wise it will have the tendency to run. Let sit for 10-15 minutes depending upon paint mfg before applying your next coat

Step eight:: insert the chrome piece back in, put your screw back in that hold’s the lens to the chrome, be very careful as to not scratch the paint.. go ahead now and preheat your oven 200-350 degree’s

Step nine:: once your oven is preheated put the headlight housing back in long enough to let the tar crap, soften around 3-5 minute’s and put the two back together, screw your screw’s back in and let cool..

Step ten:: take some silicone and put a nice bead around the entire headlight to make sure that it is leak proof..

Step eleven:: reinstall everything in the reverse order of uninstalling

Step twelve:: brag, and drink your beer’s

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if anyone see's aything wrong with this write up, shoot me a pm and ill correct it...and yeah yeah i know my headlight's are foggy, i sanded them down and put rubbing compound on them and have not waxed them yet, it started raining on me

·
99 altima
2,181 Posts
faq this ... good job!! i plan on doing this mod very soon but my headlight will include a projector =]

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
youll have to post up some pic's when you get it done

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah slightly, i was afraid that was going to happen.. ill prolly take the headlight's out again next weekend and paint me some eyelid's on with some transparent black, ill do a diy on that if people want me too

·
Rippen RJ
2,855 Posts
Looks pretty good, good job and congrats. You should take more pictures when you do the eyelids again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Instead of using the hobby store paint, I would use this
VHT SP999 - VHT Nite Shades Coating - summitracing.com

the hobby store paint fades over time and you get alot of nasty eye marks. The VHT stuff lasts longer and is made for cars. The previous owner of my cougar used the hobby store stuff on the headlights and it was gone within months. However, my buddy has the VHT stuff on his mustang and its been there for 3 years...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Instead of using the hobby store paint, I would use this
VHT SP999 - VHT Nite Shades Coating - summitracing.com

the hobby store paint fades over time and you get alot of nasty eye marks. The VHT stuff lasts longer and is made for cars. The previous owner of my cougar used the hobby store stuff on the headlights and it was gone within months. However, my buddy has the VHT stuff on his mustang and its been there for 3 years...
I agree. use some good automotive outdoor paint. Leave out the oven step too. You don't need that much heat unless you are having adhesion problems. if you have scuffed the lenses and got them ready to buff out and wax, the paint will stick fine. if you have already applied buffing compound and are attempting to paint over that, you may have an adhesion problem. The surface needs to be clean. Wash it with dishwashing liquid and hot water and dry it good. this will get all the grease off. Wouldn't hurt to use adhesion promoter, but I don't think you need it in this case, especially if the surface is scuffed.

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well... a little story about the nite shade, that was the first product i used on my tail light's it looked AWESOME!! for about a month and then it just faded on me, i sanded it all back down best i could back to red, and applied the transparent black and im going on 4 month's with no problems, my clear coat has since died on me but im fixing that next weekend... ill do a write up on that if everyone want's

and as far as scuffing up the headlight's i cleaned the outside up a bit, they were starting to get oxidation on them so i sanded them down with 600, 1200 and then 2000 applied 4 coat's of rubbing compound and havent had a chance to wax them yet so... as soon as i do that ill post up some pic's to show yall what it look's like

twisted:: didnt catch that till you said something about it..thank's!

·
99 altima
2,181 Posts
well nightshade is pretty good ...i had used it on my boys integra and it held up pretty well

... im going to try the silver adhesive tap on my amber lights when i finally decide to do this ...give it a different look and see how it comes out

...wats the approximate time needed to complete this task? ...im going to try this on my 98-99 headlights before actually doing it on the 2k's

·
Registered
832 Posts
blackalti,
Those came out very nice, I like your blacked out theme.....

Glenn

·
july notm winner!
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pac:: honestly i couldnt tell you it was a weekend project, i wanted to make sure i took my time wasnt in a hurry for ANYTHING, last time i got in a hurry i ended up having to redo my taillight's lesson learne...if i was to guess though couple of hour's, it took about 10 minute's to pop both headlights (if youve never taken your headlights out before) out, 10-15 minutes to bake them apart (includes prying, where youll spend most of your time) 45 minutes or so to paint (allowing for ample drying time) and like 10 minutes to put it all back together, and 5 to put the light's back in (its easier the 2nd time around lol) so about 2 hour's

and thank's for the complimet's everyone, really appreciate each and everyone of them

·
Ilean
229 Posts
a little confused??? is the night shade for the lens or for the plastic housing, cuz the link to the VHT describes it as lens coating. im interested in painting the plastic housing not the lens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts