What do you all think:

Mods now:
Intake
2.5 catback
50 shot nitrous

Soon
Header (stillen)
AFC

Do you guys think gutting the cat would help me out or what?

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
get a high flo cat ... or a replacement pipe from an exhuast shop ... to get two flanges and pipe is about 150 or so ..maybe even cheaper depending on the shops and who you know ... it will differntly help because No Restriction more exhuast flowing ...i know FL doesnt have the emission test anymore but i would save the cat in case ever Fl might change the laws..

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
get either a hi flo, or eliminate it all together. i say this b/c gutting the cat doesn't change the fact there's smaller piping than the rest of the set up. I know you plan to get a header, so you'll have at least 2.25" from the downpipe back and a big bottle neck at the gutted cat. you need to get one with a larger diameter hole, and if that's the case, just get a hi flo. CATCO makes good stuff for fairly cheap. I have one as well as many others here.

like i said, b/c you're planning on getting a header, totally eliminating the cat will be too loud for ya, i promise. the cat will help reduce sound but still give good gains in performance

·
autocross king
422 Posts
don't gut the cat. all the stuff 1fast said, plus it creates more turbulance in the exhaust and could possibly lead to a more decreased flow than before.

jack

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Straight pipe it. I did this year and it runs alot better. Improvement for sure!:D

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
Well DeAdMaN, you got a lot to chose from here. Since our engines are about 24 hundred cc's and I'm turbo'ed, I have installed a straight through, 2 1/2" path from my turbo exhaust housing to the muffler. This size works well for the motor dsiplacement. And yes, it is loud, but tolerable. This size, imo, should be viewed as a minimum if you plan to turbo.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
I notice almost NO difference between test pipe and 140K mile factory Cat ..... And I have run it through the quarter with both and didnt gain with no cat ... There really isnt any gain without the cat unless you are Turbo , or if you want a crazy loud exhaust !!!! I do run a test pipe for racing , but only so I dont have any chance to hurt the cat !!! Through the Greddy it is LOUD !!

·
donor cycle
14,572 Posts
i gutted my cat after 175k of usage. made absolutely NO difference whatsoever in seat of pants or 1/4 mile times even when spraying.

·
many words, few of wisdom
1,214 Posts
stemming from this discussion, i m planning to put in hotshot header and the greddy. will i still have the cat in when its done or will the cat still get in the way. no way of taking it out here, damn emission nazis. i m thoroughly confused

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
bigyu said:
stemming from this discussion, i m planning to put in hotshot header and the greddy. will i still have the cat in when its done or will the cat still get in the way. no way of taking it out here, damn emission nazis. i m thoroughly confused

No your cat will still be in place , the Header goes to the cat , and the exhaust is from the cat back !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts