The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 5sp and I just put 200K on it. It was leaking oil so I had it checked out and it needed a crank seal and valve cover seal. Then we noticed some gear oil leaking from the tranny that we had replaced a year and a half ago. It's leaking from the axle seal and wont hold any fluid above that seal. It just streams out. Also the timing chain is clicking away (common problem).

Here's the tough part. My car payments on another car I have end in Sept. I really can't afford another car payment too much before that one ends. The repair work for a used tranny and the seals is going to be $900.

So, should I fix the Altima for the $900 and hope I can get a year out of it, then trade it in for a newer one, which I would only get about $1000 trade in. OR, should I milk it how it is for a few more months, then trade it in for $1000 and save the $900 that would have been for repairs. Then use the $900 for the first 3 car payments on the new car. If I got 2-3 months more out of it, then my payments wouldn't start untill May-June and using the $900 for payments would bring me right up to when my other car payment ends.

I guess the real risk is gambling whether or not anything else might fail within a year. Cause if I pay the $900 and then I got to do more repairs, then that is a big waste of money. Any advice?

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Re: fixing an old car
On the other hand, if you only have $1000 to spend, and opt to sell yours for $1000, and then take the $2000 and buy something else, you end up inheriting the other person's car troubles.
The only thing you say is wrong with the tranny is that the seal is leaking - why do you suggest it would cost $900 to replace a seal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kierandill said:
Re: fixing an old car
On the other hand, if you only have $1000 to spend, and opt to sell yours for $1000, and then take the $2000 and buy something else, you end up inheriting the other person's car troubles.
The only thing you say is wrong with the tranny is that the seal is leaking - why do you suggest it would cost $900 to replace a seal?
This is the second tranny I would be putting in. The problem is that the differential wears and causes too much play in the axle. It moves up and down too much for the seal to work right. So the weight of the alxe pulls the seal down enough to let the oil leak. It's either replace the gears or buy a used one. The used one is a little cheaper.

If I do decide to buy a new car I'm going for payments and probably going to get a 2000 Maxima or Altima with low miles, so I should get a few years with it still under warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scootter said:
I would try to find a cheper place to do the work.
Actually my uncle is a mechanic and he is going to do it. That price includes a used tranny with a 6 month warranty, and all the seals for the motor. So it's a pretty good price. The crank and valve seals alone at a reg garage would be probably $300. The used tranny alone is $500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean I really like the car, but I'm thinking that the chance is getting pretty good that it will be needing some other work within a year. I got 200K on it now.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
rob_sp2000 said:
This is the second tranny I would be putting in. The problem is that the differential wears and causes too much play in the axle. It moves up and down too much for the seal to work right. So the weight of the alxe pulls the seal down enough to let the oil leak. It's either replace the gears or buy a used one. The used one is a little cheaper.
Huh ??? I think your being taken for a ride , I see trans axle seals leak all the time , but have NEVER seen Differential bearings wear out !! It would be crazy loud if that were the case ...I have seen many transmission problems , bad bearings , syncros, etc. but NEVER any Diff bearing problems ...Just have the seal replaced and you will be fine !!! Replace the Axle seal and front seal and VC gasket and drive it till you save for another car !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SHAWN said:
Huh ??? I think your being taken for a ride , I see trans axle seals leak all the time , but have NEVER seen Differential bearings wear out !! It would be crazy loud if that were the case ...I have seen many transmission problems , bad bearings , syncros, etc. but NEVER any Diff bearing problems ...Just have the seal replaced and you will be fine !!! Replace the Axle seal and front seal and VC gasket and drive it till you save for another car !!!
I could be wrong by saying the differential. But I was under there and I saw the axle had a few centimeters of play up and down. It was supposed to be tight and this one was all over the place. The last time around we replaced the seal but it kept leaking.

In the leaks that you see, is the axle as bad as mine?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts