The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Dave
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 3.5 V6 Altima. 130K miles. Recently did the second time plug change and is about ready for the timing belt to be done.

On ocassion i am expierincing a long cranking sequence to get it started. Five to seven seconds long in some cases. It has no pattern, no matter if engine is cold or hot. Once started it runs great, no missing or nothing. Any ideas?

·
Super Dave
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter that is turning the engine perfectly fine without any hesitation? It doesnt seem to skip a beat. It engages and turns the engine right away. it's the engine that seems to have a problem taking off after the first two seconds of key ignition, and again it's not all the time. Just whenever it feels like doing it.

·
Super Dave
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't but it's a start to eleminate the source. I would think if it was the battery it would be more of a slow, weak crank type of start.

Mine cranks hard and strong with a longer duration to self run.

·
There's a brake pedal?!
996 Posts
I haven't but it's a start to eleminate the source. I would think if it was the battery it would be more of a slow, weak crank type of start.

Mine cranks hard and strong with a longer duration to self run.
there are several things that can effect start up.

battery, starter, shit even if the fuel pump is going bad it could cause it.

Check the battery first, and then go from there.
i still say starter.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
5,141 Posts
put the car in the on position (with all lights lit up on dash) but don't start it for 10 seconds , then see if it starts up right away . it could be the fuel pump .

another problem could be the crank/cam sensor , are you getting a check engine light ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
my buddy just had this problem mechanic charged him 250 to find and eliminate the problem witch was his maf sensor wires where screwed up. something about the signal from the MAF. idk for sure. he followed the wires and noticed something wrong and ran all new wires from the maf. he didnt get a check engine. and it only was fed up on start up. hope it helps.

·
Prepare to be VQmized
401 Posts
I'm with jimnolimit....sounds like it might be something to do with an initial lack of fuel pressure. I like the key on, wait, then start sequence...I do it all of the time anyway just to ensure a quick start.

My wifes VW Beetle runs the fuel pump when the drivers door is opened....even before you put the key in the ignition.....those German engineers are sly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Suspected mine to be a failing battery. Earlier it drained on me and I had to get a boost. Bought a new one and haven't had a long start since.

·
Still #1 in 2017
5,274 Posts
Crank/Cam Position Sensor. Had the same intermittent problem. Until it finally died. Then the car wouldn't even turn over.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So my friend did the cam and crank sensors and then a new maf and new wireing to the the ecu from the maf i guess. New spark plugs. Found the missing butterfly valve but not the 2 screws. Replaced all the butterfly valves and screws with new ones with locktite.:banghead: So now the car starts perfect every time but at about 25 to 30 mph in 3rd the car jerks real hard for a while and evens out and then picks up. Only when he gives it more gas. Or it he does the same, but lets off the gas and back on it real quick, its fine just picks up. he can drive the car fine all day if he wants to. But when the engine is under high load it missfires and jerks the car. Its bad. lol it throws a check engine light and its a random missfire code.... wtf

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
5,141 Posts
So my friend did the cam and crank sensors and then a new maf and new wireing to the the ecu from the maf i guess. New spark plugs. Found the missing butterfly valve but not the 2 screws. Replaced all the butterfly valves and screws with new ones with locktite.:banghead: So now the car starts perfect every time but at about 25 to 30 mph in 3rd the car jerks real hard for a while and evens out and then picks up. Only when he gives it more gas. Or it he does the same, but lets off the gas and back on it real quick, its fine just picks up. he can drive the car fine all day if he wants to. But when the engine is under high load it missfires and jerks the car. Its bad. lol it throws a check engine light and its a random missfire code.... wtf
2 screws are still missing , double check the spark plugs and see if the electrodes are dented in . there is a chance that the screws are banging around in the cylinders . you might have to bring the car to a shop and have them look into the cylinders with a borescope .

·
Registered
153 Posts
On ocassion i am expierincing a long cranking sequence to get it started. Five to seven seconds long in some cases. It has no pattern, no matter if engine is cold or hot. Once started it runs great, no missing or nothing. Any ideas?
OP - any updates on this - did you figure out what was causing it? I believe i am having the EXACT Same issue as you. Instead of 1-2-start, it goes longer for sure. Recently got a new battery after OEM failed "Nissan load test" so i can rule that one out for me at least.

I have an '06 with about 57,000 on it. Don't know if mileage has anything to do with occurrence of problem or if its just chance/timing/luck.

Hope you got yours fixed so i know what to try next! Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
My friend has a 05 sentra SE-R with 62,000 miles and has the same problem. Takes almost 5secs to start it, but once its running and he tries to shut it off and start theres no hesitation. We put a brand new starter in, battery was replaced two months ago, and spark plugs were done recently. We called a local dealer for recalls but they said there aren't any for his car. I also think its either fuel pump related or crank sensor. Someone told me to go W.O.T and try to start the car, but that won't fix the issue obviously.

·
zoom zoom
2,159 Posts
I just replaced my crank/cam sensor with the new revised ones after the they failed and mine still can be hard to start too. New battery a few months ago also and only 64K miles. I have just learned to live with it and accept is as awesome Nissan engineering. Since it was mentioned, is the fuel pump a beeotch to get to on the altima?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts