The Nissan Club banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just replaced my crank/cam sensor with the new revised ones after the they failed and mine still can be hard to start too. New battery a few months ago also and only 64K miles. I have just learned to live with it and accept is as awesome Nissan engineering. Since it was mentioned, is the fuel pump a beeotch to get to on the altima?
Hey i was wondering is there ONE or TWO sensors? Not fully clear to me - as i have heard it called two, Nissan manual refers two, but same part number on courtesyparts...can you clear this up since you recently did it?

ANOTHER NOTE: Could it have to do with an ignition/electronics issue with the chipped keys? - I have not looked into this yet, but i have an aftermarket key, but my GF has an original Nissan key. Seems to happen to me more than her. This could be just a chance since like others, there is no pattern and its not constant, so i can not replicate the problem consistently. Anyone have anything other than NISSAN OEM keys? is that even possible to cause the issue?

·
zoom zoom
2,159 Posts
I have the OEM key and it still does it to me. Yes there are TWO sensors but they have the same part number. One camshaft sensor and one crankshaft sensor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine is getting better. I am thinking clogged fuel injector or something limiting fuel pressure to engine at fire.

Ran STP Injector and Carb? Cleaner last 1/2 tank of gas and let it run close to empty. Then put in STP Total Engine Fuel Treatment at most recent fill-up.

Have not had an issue at all in about a week or so, 1-2-start no problems, its bringing a little piece of mind and thinking that's maybe all it was.

So maybe give that a try? I might be off on the names a little but they were STP products and both silver bottles. STP makes a whole like you can choose your poison :)

Good Luck!

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
5,141 Posts
Mine is getting better. I am thinking clogged fuel injector or something limiting fuel pressure to engine at fire.

Ran STP Injector and Carb? Cleaner last 1/2 tank of gas and let it run close to empty. Then put in STP Total Engine Fuel Treatment at most recent fill-up.

Have not had an issue at all in about a week or so, 1-2-start no problems, its bringing a little piece of mind and thinking that's maybe all it was.

So maybe give that a try? I might be off on the names a little but they were STP products and both silver bottles. STP makes a whole like you can choose your poison :)

Good Luck!
it could be that the fuel pump is on it's way out .

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have the same exact problem. I have an Altima 05 with appx. 70k miles on it. I got really fed up with the starter messing up on me so I tried everything. A list of what I did:

Used Techron Fuel injecter and system cleaner.
Replaced Spark Plugs with OEM spark Plugs.
Grounded out my electronic equipment.
Convert my Stock intake into a Short ram (WAI)

What seemed to have helped me the most was when I took out my MAF and used MAF sensor cleaner to wipe it down and clean it out, then I took out my Throttle Body and using Throttle body cleaner I cleaned that too. It helped a lot cutting the frequency of the long starts in half.

What I usually do when I get in my car is I put the key in and turn the switch to "on" then I reach over grab my seat belt put it on and turn the key to crank the engine. It helps a lot and I get the longer cranks once or twice every 2-3 days. I used to get it all the time.

I noticed thought that it happens to me more often when the car is warm rather than cold, I'm not really sure why that might be. Although it does happen whenever it wants to. My friend has the same exact problem and he also has an Altima 05 with around 60k miles on it.

·
My little champion...
4,966 Posts
Sounds like a lot of you folks who have replaced your spark plugs/crank & cam sensors, need to just go and replace your fuel pump.

Replacing the fuel pump is even EASIER than replacing any of those above items--takes about 20 minutes--SERIOUSLY!!!

I read this thread here. Although this guy was meticulous with his write-up, I would say the complexity level is about as hard as changing your in cabin filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 3.5 V6 Altima. 130K miles. Recently did the second time plug change and is about ready for the timing belt to be done.

On ocassion i am expierincing a long cranking sequence to get it started. Five to seven seconds long in some cases. It has no pattern, no matter if engine is cold or hot. Once started it runs great, no missing or nothing. Any ideas?
Try cleaning masair sensor might be duirty
Code:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts