The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have a 2013 Sentra that the stealer says it needs a 6K Reman CVT plus labor for installation and $$ for reprogramming.
I have found on my own some used and remanufactured CVT's in the 2-3K range and used reman manual for around 600-800
I am capable (and have done) several engine swaps and transmissions, but I have never performed a conversion.
The slightly crazy side of me is considering to just simply and completely stray away from these horrible troublesome CVT transmission and go manual.
The car is in great shape, no rust and very nice interior and fairly low mileage.

So here is where the crowd sourcing question comes in (thank you all in advance)
What steps / parts and potential complications am I missing?

1) Used Manual transmission
2) Flywheel
3) Likely a new clutch
4) Clutch master and slave cylinder
5) Manual Transmission mounts
6) Manual Transmission axels
7) Clutch pedal and mechanisms
8) Manual shifter and related pieces

What am I missing? anything computer related maybe?
Yes I know that the cost of all this will mount up.
But I see a couple of wrecked un-rebuildable manual transmission cars (same engine year) available at auction and if I can get one of these cheaply enough the total cost may be acceptable.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Scott

· Registered
11 Posts
Hey Scott! Man I have had the same question for awhile now. I am building a 2015 Sentra with original 1.8l boosted with t28 turbo and Fuel Tech stand alone efi/ignition/ecu. Needless to say it is custom from the beginning. I also still have a cvt. I was curious if you have any updates on this question and if you got an idea of cost yet. New and donor car price. I personally dont think it would be that difficult of job with a donor in the driveway. I have not done this but with the work I have done to this car thus far I dont think it would hurt me or you for that matter. Logically it would be costly by any standard to install a completly new manual transmission with all parts necessary from factory. However, if one would have a donor available for whatever reason and it dont make you loose your house or wife. Maybe. Go for it my man. Its your car and its only to much work if the one doing it sees it that way. Stay above the influence and do to your car as you please.

· Registered
2,825 Posts
I have not started it yet, I am still waiting for a donor car at a local auction to be released from the insurance company. sounds like you are right into it.. having fun
Make sure you take lots of pictures of your car before you start this conversation, that way you will be able to remember what your car looked like when you were last able to drive it.

Keep a spreadsheet showing how much $$$ this is costing you.

Have fun in this endeavor.

· Registered
11 Posts
Always having fun my friend in between pulling my hair out with this platform and all the work arounds i have done to get this far. Its been a journey with this vehicle. Wouldn't trade the experience and knowledge I've gained for nothing. Still long way to go including a manual Alot of builders abandoned this platform due to the difficulty to make horsepower gains without a aux. fuel system or a tune or standalone. By the way, yes, to answer your question about needing computer. I know for certain you will need the Tcm from donor and parts of course. Being a cvt and going manual I'm not sure at this point if ecm from donor will be necessary or not, logically I think it would be, however we are talking about a platform that is completely different from even its closest cousins mr16ddt or the mr20de. Other members will be able to better answer anything else from here. Keep us updated please. Look forward to see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts