The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used a diverter valve instead of a blow off??

i have been reading alot on this forum (turbo) and notice no one is using I i think. I thought since we use a mas aif flow sensor that rerouting the BO air back through the MAF fould allow the comuter to cominsate for the air or atleast keep track of it.

has anyone thought of using a diverter???

thanks for the reply

learning as much as possible about the turbos and the problems before i pick one up

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Right. A BOV is a diverter valve. Technically we are all running diverters (except fred) like peterson said. A BOV blows it off to atmosphere, a diverter, diverts it back into your intake. They are the same thing just one has some piping on the end of it.

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so please correct me if i am wrong, The f Max and Turbonetics kits have diverter valves or did you all figure out it was better to use a diverter instead of a BOV

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Dunno how to make sense without showing in person...

IN essence you can use certain blow off valves (such as the Turbo XS Type H, the Greddy Type S) and 'recirculate' them into your intake pipe...thus making them 'diverter valves' or 'reciculation valves' or 'bypass valves'...

then there are other blow off valves such as the Turbo XS RFL and the HKS Super Sequential (i'm pretty sure about the SSQ - don't hold me to it tho) that can't be re routed due to their shape...

Typically you can use a BOV better on MAP sensor cars, as they read the air once it hits the manifold..the same with cars that have MAF's after the turbo... no on cars with a MAF before the turbo you almost always need to recirculate it.

The MAF reads air before the turbo, so when you blow off, you're letting air out of the charge pipe, and thus putting less in the motor...this ends up creating a poor running condition as the ECU already has taken the maf sensors reading and shot the correct fuel for the reading into the computer...

Now if you were to recirculate it, the BOV throws the air back into the system, thus evening out the temporary loss it created....

Im' sure others liek UltimaSe/BlackHornet/CThunder will explain it in a more technical manner, but I just try explaining it in a simple manner...

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no that was fine, thank you

here is my follow up question

has anyone tried the greddy adjustable diverter valve?

and...

does the BOV/diverter that comes with the system make much noise, i like that sleeper feel??

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
no it is pretty quiet....makes enough noise for someone who knows what they are listening for can hear...

But turbonetics is crap...after the difference I had replacing their wastegate, I am excited for the change in the BOV. I am going to use a Greddy type S because it is a direct replacement.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
had this conversation the other day with a fellow booster...

it strikes me to think that FMax and/or t'netics marketed their kits saying they included blow-off valves, but in reality, since the relief air is recirculated back into the intake pipe, i would have to think that it is a diverter valve just marketed as a blow-off valve.

come to think of it, i remember (i actually remember something) when my old bov was removed, it wasn't adjustable as thought, it was fixed! so it appears FMax marketed a fixed HKS standard bov that had no adjustibility which virtually makes it a diverter valve, hence recirculation...

hmmmm, thoughts...

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
^ because talk to your average kid on the street and see if he knows what a dirverter valve is, probally not, but I am sure he has heard of a BOV. Marketing. Also the T'netics, Greddy, HKS can all vent to atmosphere, or they have the option of recirculating...so I guess it is how you use it.

·
1,484 Posts
I've seen people who actually used there diverter valve, and ran it back into the manifold, in front of the turbine to help it spool up during shifts. Hence, the force of the air being forced into the manifold would help the turbine to keep spinning.

·
DirtyGirls4Life
5,241 Posts
skylineawd said:
I've seen people who actually used there diverter valve, and ran it back into the manifold, in front of the turbine to help it spool up during shifts. Hence, the force of the air being forced into the manifold would help the turbine to keep spinning.
wouldnt diverting it back infront of the turbine would cause the turbine to boost back up and then cause pressure against the intake and cause the BOV to need to go off?

Im not near a turbo expert, just asking the question

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
I was thinking that wouldn't work because you are taking that boosted (not combusted air) putting it into the exahaust manifold so wouldn't you still run rich because the computer is still adding fuel for that air which isn't getting burned???

·
Boosted Member
2,266 Posts
On a related note (don't think it deserves its own thread) :

Has anybody tried to run their MAF in a blow-thru setup rather than a pull-thru??

I don't see why it couldn't be done, thus allowing a true BOV and also compensating for any boost leaks that develop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts