The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it has a name., but hell if I know....

Just curious if anyone has done this, how, and how'd it look afterwards...(my car is black...btw)

·
See ya on the flipside...
2,076 Posts
I was thinking about doing it, since I already have a part missing around my driver's side mirror. On your car it should look cool. The trim is just pressure fitted on. Laterz.

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
01LTD said:
On your car it should look cool. The trim is just pressure fitted on. Laterz.
Should i use the heat gun to remove this stuff too??

Any other opinions on doing this?

·
over it...
643 Posts
I dont know if this varies from year to year but in mine a 99 i removed all my window for painting and it was hell. You have to remove the whole window to remove it. (i dont know if we are talking about the sam thing though.)

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ms nismo said:
I dont know if this varies from year to year but in mine a 99 i removed all my window for painting and it was hell. You have to remove the whole window to remove it. (i dont know if we are talking about the sam thing though.)
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The silver is located around the windows on the doors themself..

What are YOU talking about?

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ms nismo said:
well i know that in my car (99) the silver trim is only on the doors (windows)
Well we're talking about the same thing but i'm not sure why you think you'd need to remove the windows...

·
over it...
643 Posts
Well eh if you wait like a week, i get my car back and i have to put everything back on. So i can give you a definite answer then but i think that the silver trim is actually screwed in the door frame. But i can give you a definite answer in a week.

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ms nismo said:
Well eh if you wait like a week, i get my car back and i have to put everything back on. So i can give you a definite answer then but i think that the silver trim is actually screwed in the door frame. But i can give you a definite answer in a week.
Ohhhh now I know what your talking about.....your talking about the ghetto silver shit...not the stock silver window trim...two totally different things....right? Do you have it going all the way down the doors? Maybe even around the trunk?

Good thing your taking that junk off....

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:confused: :confused:

Why would you need to remove a window to get it off? Its doesn;t appear to be bolted on or anything...its just on there w/ adhesive.

SOMEONE?? Anyone???

·
788 Posts
Scuff it with a 360 or 500 grit sandpaper and get a can of the rubberized black molding spray paint from Autoone or wherever. Lightly spray the molding pieces, and don't forget to tape and mask off around the areas...If you get overspray on your car, don't worry. A little laquer thinner (acetone-based) will wipe overspray right off without damaging your car. Unless your paintjob is 2 HOURS old or something. Take it from me, I worked at a collision center;)

Out.

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Octane said:
Scuff it with a 360 or 500 grit sandpaper and get a can of the rubberized black molding spray paint from Autoone or wherever. Lightly spray the molding pieces, and don't forget to tape and mask off around the areas...If you get overspray on your car, don't worry. A little laquer thinner (acetone-based) will wipe overspray right off without damaging your car. Unless your paintjob is 2 HOURS old or something. Take it from me, I worked at a collision center;)

Out.
So I should cover it up rather then remove it??? It'll be a totally different texture and even mismatch color (different shade of black?)

I'm not feeling this idea yet...sounds risky...Anyone have anything to add to this?? personal experiences?

Octane..I totally appreciate your input...thanks man!

·
788 Posts
The type of spray molding paint you're gonna buy is what most shops use anyway. When they repair a car or do even a full job, the moldings get this done so they look new, like the paint. If you want, you can do ALL that is black on your car and everything will look nice. Even the wipers (NOT the rubber blades, though!). This works, trust me...BUT you have to make sure you do it in a garage where there is no wind to knock shit on it while it is drying, and you have to use good quality solvents and shit to MAKE SURE THAT THE SURFACES YOU ARE GOING TO BE PAINTING ARE PERFECTLY CLEAN! Seriously, I did this all the time after I painted cars. Even with an older-looking paint job, new black molding accents make it look that much better. If you are reluctant, just pay and have a shop do it for you...

Out.

·
See ya on the flipside...
2,076 Posts
Milk said:

Should i use the heat gun to remove this stuff too??

Any other opinions on doing this?

I have a 2001 and the silver trim is just pressure fitted on so there is no use of a heat gun or anything like that. I"m confused about what the other members are talking about........:confused: anyways, hope that helps. Laterz.

·
Registered
59 Posts
for all you people who have questions about removing the moldings it easy. first remove the rubber moldings in side the doors. behind the moldings are a bucnch of sfrews. screw them off and you can pull them right off. just remember to roll the windows down all the way. i did it to my car a few months ago. i bought new moldings, sanded them all down and painted them black with flat black exterior trim paint. its easier than you think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the silver stuff is easy to take off, a little too easy. The dealership ended up replacing all of mine for free because they screwed up putting a piece near a sidemirror under warrenty. They ended up accidentally peeling the midseciton off, and it kept going on and on and on :D

·
Bone
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyones input.

Ms Nismo., I checked out my doors last night and we are talking about the same thing...i can see the bolts holding the trim on the windows...(glad u don;t have that ghetto shit..my bad :))

For now I may just keep it on there...unless someone wants to share some pics with it removed!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
to remove window trim

i just covered it up with electrical tape, takes five minutes and looks perfect. And if u ever want to take it off, it causes no damage. I think that is the best wasy to do it, looks very nice too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts