The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only hear about replacing the lowbeams in the Altima (2013, S). But haven't heard of anyone replacing both.

Is it harder to replace the hi-beams? Any potential problems?

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I only hear about replacing the lowbeams in the Altima (2013, S). But haven't heard of anyone replacing both.

Is it harder to replace the hi-beams? Any potential problems?
Only high beams and fogs. On the 3rd Gen, bumper removal is required to get at the low beams, but the high beams are somewhat accessible from the front of the engine bay. Not sure if that applies to 4th Genners.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I think it's worse with the 4th gens...no way to get at the LB bulbs from the engine side--you can just (assuming your hands aren't meat paws) get to the marker and signal bulbs. Either pull back the fender well inside cover, or drop the bumper for headlight bulb servicing. Don't want to take the chance of touching, dropping, or scratching the bulbs...never mind the scratching you'll take!

·
Registered
243 Posts
turn tires and remove the plastic under the card and access the light bulbs =]. i just change low beams to hid

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
The reason you hear of people only replacing the low beams... is because no one uses the hi beams... and in some states it is illegal at certain conditions to use them.
So really no point in spending money for something you will rarely use.

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason you hear of people only replacing the low beams... is because no one uses the hi beams... and in some states it is illegal at certain conditions to use them.
But can it be done? Is it just as easy as replacing the low beams?

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Maybe you don't use them where you live, but people out in the boonies use them all the time. I know I do.

But can it be done? Is it just as easy as replacing the low beams?
Both are easily replaceable, but may or may not require some mechanical skills to get at the bulbs and electrical skills if there is wiring involved.

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both are easily replaceable, but may or may not require some mechanical skills to get at the bulbs and electrical skills if there is wiring involved.
I have already replaced the low beams. So those were not an issue, other than getting past the splash guard and turning the tire away to allow room for the work. But will I have access to the high beams like I had access to the low beams? Seems like the bulbs are really close to each other.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I have already replaced the low beams. So those were not an issue, other than getting past the splash guard and turning the tire away to allow room for the work. But will I have access to the high beams like I had access to the low beams? Seems like the bulbs are really close to each other.
I've never gone in to access the bulbs the way you have, and I have a 3rd Gen on top of that, so I can't speak to whether you'll be able to get at the high beams that way. I take off my front bumper and then remove the headlight assemblies to have adequate room to remove the bulbs.

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've never gone in to access the bulbs the way you have, and I have a 3rd Gen on top of that, so I can't speak to whether you'll be able to get at the high beams that way. I take off my front bumper and then remove the headlight assemblies to have adequate room to remove the bulbs.
Ah, I see now. I think I've heard that it is more of a pain in the butt to drop the bumper in the later models.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The highs are tight next to the lows should just be as easy as the Lows were. Why don't you just get some better bulbs for the highs it be cheaper and less cluster doing that. It's tight enough finding space for ballast and all the wiring for the lows were you going to cram in all the stuff for they highs were it's not plastic cause those ballast get hot

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
i have done the high beam and the low beams. to be honest i wouldn't bother with the high beams. just do the low beams. don't go beyond 6000k cos then you'll get to purple color that just looks stupid.

·
1,340 Posts
I did the high beams, but ended swapping the back to halogen bulbs. HID's take time to come up to brightness, and where I live there are always cars around so I can never leave the highs on long. I was annoyed by the delay to get light so I switched them back.

Drivers side high beam is easily accessed the same as the low beam, I do it from underneath removing the screws holding the black plastic inner fender plastic in the front.

For the passenger side, remove the snap holding the window washer fluid tube, pull the tube off, and then you can reach the bulb under the hood. You reach into the space where the filler tube was and can reach and twist to unlock the passenger side high beam bulb.

·
6,365 Posts
I have done LED fogs, HID lows and Halo highs for very much the same reason as above, and am pretty happy with the result.
@BPuff57 has put the LEDs I have in my fogs in his highs...presumably to colour match all 3 sets, with mixed reviews (hotspots). Until I am sure of the technology/reliability of LED--particularly through my first winter...I don't mind keeping a 'legacy' set of halogens "online" for now. That said, those LED units are some kinda bright!

Can you tell the difference between HID and LED below?

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that's an excellent idea replacing the Highs with Halogens, but better ones. And perhaps moving on to do fog lights. The only problem is that my 2013 S did not come with foglamps. It has the turn signals but that's it. Should I go with the switchbacks or try to add fog lamps altogether?

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The highs are tight next to the lows should just be as easy as the Lows were. Why don't you just get some better bulbs for the highs it be cheaper and less cluster doing that. It's tight enough finding space for ballast and all the wiring for the lows were you going to cram in all the stuff for they highs were it's not plastic cause those ballast get hot

Yeah, I agree.
I think that's an excellent idea replacing the Highs with Halogens, but better ones. Are there "bright white" halogens I can get that are much better than the stock ones?

·
Kreemerz
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done LED fogs, HID lows and Halo highs for very much the same reason as above, and am pretty happy with the result.
@BPuff57 has put the LEDs I have in my fogs in his highs...presumably to colour match all 3 sets, with mixed reviews (hotspots). Until I am sure of the technology/reliability of LED--particularly through my first winter...I don't mind keeping a 'legacy' set of halogens "online" for now. That said, those LED units are some kinda bright!

Can you tell the difference between HID and LED below?

What halogen bulbs did you use? Are they still "bright white"? I hate that yellowish stock bulb. :/

·
Registered
346 Posts
The silver stars are bright and look better than stock. There are other brands that will match the hid color.

·
6,365 Posts
What halogen bulbs did you use? Are they still "bright white"? I hate that yellowish stock bulb. :/
The highs aren't on in that photo...just the HID LBs and LED FLs. My highbeams are halo yellow and I don't care :) cuz when I'm using them, there's nobody around to appreciate that fact... Besides I think my LB+Fog's overpower the HB's anyways.

I have use Silverstars in the past and they do make for a whiter light...and they also last like 1/5th as long...which sucked for the LBs (lasted 12-18 months/ 20kMi--forcing me to change them back to halo in sub zero temps). Might be worse as HB's as they are used for DRLs up here in Canada...stateside you could put Silverstars in for your HBs and they'd probably outlast your car for the number of minutes of use they'd get.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts