The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't hate me for this. I hate to bring it up as much as some of you (Peterson, etc) love to bash this product. It's because of my situation (wife hates loud mufflers-too much in car noise/resonance) and the fact that the Stillen exhaust/intake made almost 14 whp. I know it's definitely overpriced but is it more free flowing like a dynomax or flowmaster or what, cause if I can I'd like to just free up at least enough to get the same gain w/ my JWT POP on my 93. It's an auto so I'm not worried about the catback until I get a 5 spd. I just want to know HOW the muffler and intake make 14 hp-or how the muffler assists in this.
(Maybe the little bit of mandrel piping attached to muffler helps?)

BTW, I have a $60 meinike piece of crap muffler that was welded by Dr. Frankenstein from the looks of it.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
niceguy said:
I just want to know HOW the muffler and intake make 14 hp-
That's because it can't. I'm sure if I had waited long enough, it would've come apart on it's own but I decided to rip it open and have a look. I can't believe I wasted $200+ on this piece of crap. It's NOT a straight thru design and imo, it's nothing more than an overpriced oem muffler w/ a decent sound.

·
Holla!
1,310 Posts
go to www.stillen.com they will have an answer to your question if you read about the muffler. Here is a quote from that page.
"The improved airflow created by addition of the exhaust is verified by the significant dyno HP increase. Adding the STILLEN Exhaust to your vehicle is a must. Actual product may vary slightly from image."

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
well I sure hope they changed it. their scam was probably found out and they actually had to do some real r&d. sorry, but that thing was the most regrettable purchase for my car.

also keep in mind you're reading a vendor's website.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I said '14hp' because according to the SCC project, they got 13.9 hp from the intake/muffler combo on a 95 auto. I have the JWT POP and crank pulley on my 93 auto, and I just want the best compromise in flow/power increase and noice increase. That's why I was curious as to if the Stillen is baffled (it's Max/IS300 mufflers are perf core) or what so I could AT LEAST get that much out of mine (13/14hp) w/o getting as loud as a flowmaster.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
greensoup2 said:
You could probably get almost 10hp from a cold air intake alone.

So 4 for an exhaust is not too bad.
what thread are you following dude, cause it's not this one. I'm talking whp and hp (measured at the flywheel). Big difference. And we're not talking CAI, we're talking WAI.

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
The stillen WAI and the rear section could bring MAYBE around 6-8 whps. You are not gonna gain 14whps with just an exhaust (especially only a rear section exhaust) unless you have turbo.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just going by what they dyno tested. Anyway, is the Stillen muffler louvered or baffled or what? And BTW, how is the sound and price on that Apexi WS muffler? I don't believe it's straight through either is it, maybe that's why the gains aren't as high in catback form as the N1 catback (from what I've read).

·
Registered
37 Posts
can you post the installement of project altima please

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked the same thing a few months ago, but we can try and ask again. I know some doubt 14hp from int/Stillen muffler, but if you can get 12/13WHEEL HP from a CAI then the same from int/muffler (how it is freeflowing don't know still!) is very feasible and I have many times checked SCC's dyno figures w/ other mags and the net and verified them.

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
niceguy said:
...but if you can get 12/13WHEEL HP from a CAI then the same from int/muffler (how it is freeflowing don't know still!) is very feasible
if you believe an altima got 12/13 WHP (horsepower at the wheels) from a Cold Air Intake or got 14 WHP (again horsepower AT the wheels) from an intake and an exhaust (and will do this under everyday driving conditions) then i have got some wonderful ocean-front property in Montana i'd like to tell you about...c'mon people...wake up!!...the most one performance muffler could possibly differ from another is maybe 2-3 hp at the flywheel...so does it really matter???...and an intake...maybe with a fan blowing on the motor and with a bag of ice on the intake manifold will dyno an extra 5 hp....please...get real...

·
552nd Aircraft Maint. Sq.
363 Posts
nokeone said:

if you believe an altima got 12/13 WHP (horsepower at the wheels) from a Cold Air Intake or got 14 WHP (again horsepower AT the wheels) from an intake and an exhaust (and will do this under everyday driving conditions) then i have got some wonderful ocean-front property in Montana i'd like to tell you about...c'mon people...wake up!!...the most one performance muffler could possibly differ from another is maybe 2-3 hp at the flywheel...so does it really matter???...and an intake...maybe with a fan blowing on the motor and with a bag of ice on the intake manifold will dyno an extra 5 hp....please...get real...
Well said!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come back AFTER you go pull up the SWA dyno pull for their CAI-
Both Place Racing AND SWA had 12/13 WHEEL HORSEPOWER GAINS, although I have SEEN and read of many Hondas gaining 5-8 WHEEL HORSEPOWER from I/HE!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
masplinter9 said:
go to www.stillen.com they will have an answer to your question if you read about the muffler. Here is a quote from that page.
"The improved airflow created by addition of the exhaust is verified by the significant dyno HP increase. Adding the STILLEN Exhaust to your vehicle is a must. Actual product may vary slightly from image."
dont trust the source. its like how nissan claims 155 hp on teh 2nd gens. u read the reviews from critics, aka petereson etc...

·
Registered
904 Posts
travisaltima95 said:
does any one have any info. on turbo charging a 95 altima gxe (ka24de)?
possible turbo types? and how much boost a stock engine can handle?
I would really appericate any info.
sorrie man, i think you're in the wrong section. do a search or read articles in the turbo discussion.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
nokeone, what that other guy said was true about southwestautoworks dyno testing their cai vs. place racing cai. they both got 13-14 whp from the cai. that's it!!!! so, the altima is obviously different that a lot of other that only gain 5 hp from i/e, or even i/h/e.

But yeah, about the muffler on a n/a car with few bolt ons, it really isn't gonna make a damn bit of difference what you get. the stillen muffler might be a good design and sound great, but the truth is, it's a piece of shit quality wise. we don't want you to waste your money. you can get the same thing by getting a generic muffler from pep boys and welding a chrome tip on it. it's not worth it.

the apexi ws is a similiar type design with way better quality, it's APEXi!!!!!!! I'd get that if you could. Both might be better flowing, but they're not straight through. that seems to me like what you need, for less sound and still good gains. i'd steer in the direction of the apexi ws.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts